Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Problem

I have a 1998 Prelude and the drivers window will not go up or down. Also I cannot control the passenger window with the drivers side control. The passenger control will work it. I have replaced the motor and the control switch and it did not fix the problem. I have 12v at the fuse block, I have 12v across the window relay but nothing coming into the control switch. Any ideas or thought would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power Window Problem

Could be the driver's side multiplex unit. Do the door locks work?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Trial User

Yes....everything else works. Power mirrors and power door locks all work. Window lock switch will turn off the passenger window switch. The only thing that doesn't work are those 2 window switches. I even replaced the switch module.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take out the regulator and motor, hook up the motor with a jumper to battery power and see if it moves. Be very careful to avoid getting your hand or anything else caught in the teeth of the regulator. I it moves, then there is a wiring problem with something. If it doesn't move you need a new motor.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Trial User

Motor works fine jumped to battery power. I have voltage going through fuse block and through relay under the hood. Are there any connectors to check? I also picked up another window switch (used) on eBay just to try and I have same problem. I have no control on either window from the drivers door except I can still lock out the passenger window from the driver side with the on/off switch, power mirrors and door locks still work fine as well. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to say it is the multiplex control unit. The switch goes to that which then goes to the motor. and the power comes from the under hood fuse box (green/wht wire) Check the wires going to the motor, they should get pulsed power when the switch is activated. I see a red/yel for up and red/blu for down. I can email you wireing diagram if you want.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by brad3266
Motor works fine jumped to battery power. I have voltage going through fuse block and through relay under the hood. Are there any connectors to check? I also picked up another window switch (used) on eBay just to try and I have same problem. I have no control on either window from the drivers door except I can still lock out the passenger window from the driver side with the on/off switch, power mirrors and door locks still work fine as well. Thanks in advance for any help!
I had a beautifully detailed explanation as to how to troubleshoot and repair this issue and I tried posting it but my log-in timed out. So to save time and help those in need i had the exact same problem as Brad and looking into the issue found it to be a broken wire(Green/white 12V input) going to the Driver Multiplex Control Unit. If you have the door panel off, measure wrt Chassis GND the Green/white wire in the Blue Connector that goes to the Driver MCU. With the ignition switch on, you should read 12V.

The likely location of the broken wire is in the door jamb. Remove the rubber boot between the door and you will see a mating connector that is from the fuse box under the kick panel that joins the main door harness. This is a green connector but that is only a cover, the actual connector is grey when pulled back and when removed I found the Green/white broken wire right at the base of the connector.

Seems Honda did a poor job on the strain relief on this connector and this problem gets exacerbated over time with the opening and closing of the door itself. Some key points in troubleshooting this issue:

1) If you measure 12V under the kick panel with the Driver power window fuse removed(20A) your main Power window relay is good!

2) The Green/white wire is critical to the operation of the driver MCU.
If the 12V is missing, when you push down or up on those master driver/passenger switches you will hear dead silence.

3) If i had to do it all over again, knowing what i know now, i would pop off the boot in the door jamb first and check for any broken wires. It's much easier than ripping apart the door panel.

4) If the 12V is absent from your main line(Green/white wire) you can make a makeshift jumper wire(with the 20A fuse for safety) and connect 12V into the line directly. Plug in the Driver Multiplex Control unit into the blue connector and insert the jumper into the green/white input pin. Turn the ignition on, push down/up and see if the window moves up or down. If it does, your Driver MCU is good as well as your motor and regulator.

5) Don't assume anything and don't change parts/components until you can prove definitively the part is bad. It's your job to prove its bad! Don't guess!

Cheers,
Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, I've ran into the weirdest window issue... 98 lude. Driver's window works fine, passenger window motor tested fine wired from battery both raising and lowering all the way with no hesitation. I tested battery to the connector in passenger door panel which shows good continuity from there to motor. I have 12 V on both sides of motor connection in passenger door when trying either switch but still the motor will not budge, not even make a sound. I only have 12 Volts when measuring either wire to ground (testing one wire at a time and the 12 V appears on one wire or the other while alternating between switch position so one position it'll be 12 V and the other it's 0 V) but about 3 V when measuring between the two wires activating the switch either way... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jiffy_lude; 03-18-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you bumped a 2 year old thread.. please make your own thread jiffy
Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bamaland601
you bumped a 2 year old thread.. please make your own thread jiffy