Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Plausible HP

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plausible HP

Hello, I currently own a BPU MKIV Supra, don't hold it against me. It's getting kinda long in the tooth, and I'm sort of tired of driving the same car now for 7 years. Anyway, I'm looking at N/A cars, as I want to give forced induction a rest. I was thinking about a 5th generation Prelude/Prelude SH. What I wanted to know is how much power can you make on nothing but engine, and still maintain streetability? Sorry if the question has been asked a thousand times before, and I appreciate any help you can give. Oh, one last question. I might also consider swapping an import engine into a Prelude, what engines readily adapt, Type S, etc... Again, Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plausible HP (Not Me)

Keep the BPU supra, you'll be so sorry you traded it for a prelude. I hate to bash a car that I drive and love to death but there is very little potential (to be fast in a straight line) unless you want to sink a boatload of cash into it. If you want fast an NA then get a domestic.

Now having said that the prelude was voted the best handling car under 30 grand and it is a pleasure to drive, but don't expect to get 250 whp out of a daily driven NA prelude.

Edit: As for the engine swaps, they won't gain you much. You'd be better off building your engine since the Type S only has 16 hp on the US version.

Gabe

[Modified by Gabe, 2:48 PM 11/2/2001]
Old 11-02-2001, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Plausible HP (Gabe)

Yeah definately do not trade the supra in for a Prelude. I'm assuming you will keep the Supra and buy the Prelude for your daily driver. If so, you should be happy with the choice. A prelude is a great daily driver. It should definately satisfy your needs for a reasonable daily driver with power when you need it. A 5th gen Prelude should be pretty peppy on the highway/freeway, which is really nice. I know my 4th gen VTEC is for sure.

There are plenty of things you can do to make the prelude a little more powerful if you need to....