Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Installing 4ws

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing 4ws

I have a 94 lude Vtec(srv up in canada) with an h22a jdm swap. I also have a doner car with 4ws.

Trick is, its a 6 hour drive from where I live. And, sitting immobile in a driveway. So, I need to know, before hand, everything I need and how to take it off. Along with any trouble spots I may encounter. I have 4 weeks to prepare and a weekend down there to get it done. I'll have some help as well.

From what I understand, this is what I need(base list from other sources);

- Front 4WS rack
- 4ws steering angle sensor(in rack)
- Steering angle input sensor(same as above? location?)
- Front rack mounting brackets
- 4th gen p/s system (pump, anything else?)
- 4WS control unit(behind seat)
- Rear 4WS rack(do I need any brackets from the donar car?)
- Wiring(from rack to 4ws control unit to ecm?)
- Rear tie rod ends(prob get new ones when I do the install anyway)
- Is the dash any different?(do I need to pull out anything for the warning light, etc?)

For all those who tell me not to bother. I need some other parts from the car and the 4ws is essentially costing me nothing but time. I also plan on installing a switch to shut off the 4ws when not wanted(done the same with my abs).

I've had a look for some writeups. But, I haven't been able to completely deal with all the concern I have. Especially considering the work environment I'll be...enjoying(late October in Ontario is a little chilly).

If anyone can answer some of my questions or point me to some good resources I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

edit: I've only had the car a month and its my first Honda. So a list of essential reading would be appreciated as well.

Last edited by certainkind; 09-30-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Installing 4ws

does the rear knuckle have the tie rod connection whether 4WS or not? and are all the bolt holes already there for the rear rack mounting on cars without 4WS? i've seen to few 4gen to notice.
you could go to a parts website and look through the diagrams, but it really isn't gonna mean anything until you have the car in front of you digging into it. something like this there will be something you didn't know/expect.

and mad props if you can do that in a weekend in the driveway.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.preludeonline.com/f61/add...4-vtec-241196/

Check out this thread on preludeonline, you could probably also pm the poster of the thread if you have any questions.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahh... well there you go. i'm dumb and forgot the 4gen is electric.
3gen is mechanical. that would be a bitch to put in.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 AM
New User

Thanks for the thread mini. Looks like a pretty good source.

The rear knuckles have what looks like a tie rod end from what I remember. Going to throw it on a hoist and have a better look tonight. Anyone know if the knuckles are interchangeable?

Also, with my abs all I had to do to toggle it on and off was install a switch between my abs sensor and the ecu. I'm assuming that if I disrupt a sensor signal to the 4ws control module the system will default to its straight ahead position. Anyone know if this is true? I'm hesitant to install the system if I have no way of disabling it.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:20 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by certainkind
I have a 94 lude Vtec(srv up in canada) with an h22a jdm swap. I also have a doner car with 4ws.

Trick is, its a 6 hour drive from where I live. And, sitting immobile in a driveway. So, I need to know, before hand, everything I need and how to take it off. Along with any trouble spots I may encounter. I have 4 weeks to prepare and a weekend down there to get it done. I'll have some help as well.

From what I understand, this is what I need(base list from other sources);

- Front 4WS rack
- 4ws steering angle sensor(in rack)
- Steering angle input sensor(same as above? location?)
- Front rack mounting brackets
- 4th gen p/s system (pump, anything else?)
- 4WS control unit(behind seat)
- Rear 4WS rack(do I need any brackets from the donar car?)
- Wiring(from rack to 4ws control unit to ecm?)
- Rear tie rod ends(prob get new ones when I do the install anyway)
- Is the dash any different?(do I need to pull out anything for the warning light, etc?)

For all those who tell me not to bother. I need some other parts from the car and the 4ws is essentially costing me nothing but time. I also plan on installing a switch to shut off the 4ws when not wanted(done the same with my abs).

I've had a look for some writeups. But, I haven't been able to completely deal with all the concern I have. Especially considering the work environment I'll be...enjoying(late October in Ontario is a little chilly).

If anyone can answer some of my questions or point me to some good resources I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

edit: I've only had the car a month and its my first Honda. So a list of essential reading would be appreciated as well.
if you go to any autozone they can print out diagram of the 4ws system for you 👍