Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Idea for Traction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idea for Traction?

I have looked at ESP's traction bar. From what I understand it stops front to back movement of the front wheels. Dont know too much more about it other than it improves traction under hard acceleration. I had an idea for another traction device. I dont know if there is anything out yet that works similar. From what I understand when we accelerate the weight gets shifted to the back of the vehicle. This usually lifts our front wheels slightly and puts less weight over them causing wheel hope, loss of traction etc. Is there a device out that is bolted to the frame of the car and connected to the rear suspension to stop it from compressing? Is there anyway to minimize this uplift and stop it from happening safely?...

I am almost finished with my boost setup and I know for a fact traction will become more of an issue. I am trying to figure out all I can do to get the power to the road. Any other advice would also be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idea for Traction? (ProjectBB6)

im just taking a stab at this but if there was a solid mount or something to stop the natural compression of the suspension its seems like it would be less then beneficial. i think this where upgraded suspension components, stiffer springs and ,shocks, bushings would combat the weight transfer better.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have looked at ESP's traction bar. From what I understand it stops front to back movement of the front wheels. Dont know too much more about it other than it improves traction under hard acceleration. I had an idea for another traction device. I dont know if there is anything out yet that works similar. From what I understand when we accelerate the weight gets shifted to the back of the vehicle. This usually lifts our front wheels slightly and puts less weight over them causing wheel hope, loss of traction etc. Is there a device out that is bolted to the frame of the car and connected to the rear suspension to stop it from compressing? Is there anyway to minimize this uplift and stop it from happening safely?...

I am almost finished with my boost setup and I know for a fact traction will become more of an issue. I am trying to figure out all I can do to get the power to the road. Any other advice would also be appreciated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

To get rid of the weight shift, you need to:
1) stop accelerating
2) Lower center of gravity
3) longer wheelbase (wheelie bars work!)
4) go backwards, accelerate in reverse. RWD for the win

A really stiff rear suspension will help make the weight shift a predictable event, and quick, so you don't get all that compression and botttoming of the rear suspsension over such a long time. It won't actually make you shift any more or less weight, but you can launch better nonetheless.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Idea for Traction? (Chris F)

Very true, there's no way to actually stop the weight from shifting, but stiffer shocks help alot and also lowering the front more than the back with coilovers helps alot too because it does put more of the weight on the front wheels, but only so much, unless you jack the back up and look like a weirdo.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Idea for Traction? (AnthrPludedriver)

wheelie bar perhaps? even though its for RWD but.... it will help limit how much the leveling of your car changes
Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idea for Traction? (HenryTypeS)

I did some more lookn into my setup as far as traction goes. With solid (inserts) engine mounts, higher spring rates in the rear and front I should be good. I currently have Koni yellows and tein stechs for suspension. Those will need to go asap. Thinking about going with ksports. The idea was to have something that could stop the rears springs from compressing so much. Maybe something attached to the LCA but higher rates is all there is too it lol. Thx anyway guys
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think in a FF car like ours all you will ever need is stiffer suspension. It's not like the rear wheels are trying to flip the car over backward like on most fast cars