Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Hell of a time with Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hell of a time with Koni Yellows

Hey guys,

friend gave me some koni yellows from his 95 SE lude that he put about 200 miles on (nice friend).

also gave me groundcontrol coilovers, but we were missing some various parts (only have the sleeves, rings, and springs..) so we decided to put the yellows on my 92 lude with my old H+R sport springs that I used to use back in the day.

So, all we have are his struts, the perch ring, the cup, and the struts themselves. We quickly realize that the stock bolts and washers don't work.. at all.

We also had to file out the dust sheet metal cup of hell thing, but the kicker..

the strut rod doesn't at all fit through the metal tube that goes through those top rubber bushings in the strut cap. I'm sure these originally came with them, but they're long gone.

Anyone have any solutions? Is there any way to roll without this piece? Finding the bolts and washers has already been difficult enough, now to find some special tube?

Thanks.

Sorry if this post is retarded, spent a long time with spring compressors in the sun today.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:07 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i suggest calling Koni!
Old 09-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hell of a time with Koni Yellows (psilo)

Koni can probably sell you some.

I wasn't prepared to wait, so me and my friend took turns going crazy with the drill
Old 09-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also try posting this in the Suspension forum.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psilo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys,
Is there any way to roll without this piece?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is not a phrase that should be used in the same topic as "I need suspension help." There's one thing you don't want to do, and that's start chucking pieces of your suspension in the trash.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hell of a time with Koni Yellows (vinuneuro)

yes they do come with a piece, you could probably drill you're factory ones out, or have some machined wouldnt be very difficult, if I remember correctly, the part that comes with them fits in the factory bushings
Old 09-30-2006, 08:14 PM

ive jsut put koni yellows on mine and had the same problem. i just opened up the metal tube to fit
Old 09-30-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: (skinnyboy)

howd you open it up if you dont mind me asking? pain in the ***?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: (psilo)

yeah its split through the middle, like its one piece folded into the round shape. I merely tapped a mandrel through it to open it out. you could also lever it witha flat blade screwdriver in the gap.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I drilled them out, carefully. They split a little in the process. (I only needed to do two, my yellows had most of what I needed)

You'll need a bench vice or something to hold them if you do, though, they get pretty warm in the process.

Did the same to the dust covers and the one extra washer I needed.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: (A Blue Lude)

EFF WORD

i tried using a tapered socket to open up the metal sleeves, no dice. The socket continuously got stuck (10 seconds of banging for 10 minutes of trying to get the effing thing out). I simply couldn't do it, and the piece ended up getting mangled to hell and still won't fit over the rod.

In anger, i put the crap back together. I had to move the car.

Yes, i drove 1 mile without those metal sleeves that stick through the two rubber bushings. I guess I will need to order the proper part from koni, get some plumbing pipe, OR opt to not roll with them.

The rubber ring that you can see under the hood has collapsed under the washer and top nut. This wouldn't have happened had there been the sleeve to distance it. Eff it. I can't deal with spring compressors and cut up hands any more. I don't know how the **** this all went so wrong.

THE KICKER:

IT LOOKS STOCK!

I rode these springs for like 15,000 miles back in the day and i had 1 finger gap. Im stock looking up front with them on the konis. Tried bottom perch, then middle perch, same ****. This is truly the worst two days i've ever spent on any car.

To those thinking I'm a noob, this is my official 6th time doing a full suspension job on a 4th gen lude. This has just been the worst god damn headache i've ever dealt with.

Someone please offer me some words of wisdom, I want to blow my brains out rihgt now.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:43 PM

and relax.....

dude, just take your time. Count yourself lucky, one of my circlips **** itself and the front left spring decided to head south and now i cant turn the car properly. I'm awaiting some replacements and should have them today. I've found that when using second hand parts like what I used for my koni's you have to modify them to fit. Luckily my Koni's had extra grooves machined in them so the spring can sit lower if needed.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: (skinnyboy)

yea i have the perch adjustment..

i'm having a hard time visualizing this,
is the lowest perch (to achieve lowest setting) the perch closest to the ground when strut is installed?

Thx
Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM

your "cups" that sit on the circlips are probably upside down. They should look like an UPSIDEDOWN cup NOT a bowl.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1106020
Old 10-01-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: (hella_usdm)

doh

and second, the forks are supposed to come up on the front struts body til the little divits they put there id assume?

I jacked up the entire shindig to make the fork rise up the strut body and couldnt get it any higher than about a half inch below its mark.. and that was with chipping paint and all. Take it to the notch?

Thx
Old 10-02-2006, 03:17 PM

THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM

wow i wish i could run that low on my gc/koni's

but seeing as i have a wider tire / bigger offset. i would rub the fenders like crazy.

glad you got it all sorted out though. luckily when i got my set, it was a basic bolt on affair w/ no modifications
Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just so you know, the middle (3 rings) or top (2 rings) perch on the Konis is the "stock" perch.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Hell of a time with Koni Yellows (A Blue Lude)

looks good!