Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Bouncing idle after using throttle cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncing idle after using throttle cleaner

Hey

Well I finally got around to using some throttle cleaner on my throttle blade and followed the instructions on the back of the throttle spray can. When it came to the part where they say you need to start the car and then spray some throttle cleaner in with the car running the lude stalled. So I restarted it and didn't spray any further.
Initially the clean blade did make a difference in the way the engine responded especially on the highway when I release the throttle; the engine didn't brake/struggle to get air like it used to. A few days afterwards my idle started surging once the car was warm and my idle was significantly increased. Idle was around 1-1.5k when warm and once the idle reached 1.5k the surging starts. I adjusted the idle screw to lower my idle (several rotations) and it’s helped to prevent the surging but it still occurs. Now I had another look at the throttle body and noticed there are a few ports/holes where air would flow to go to the sensors. If throttle cleaner runs down these ports it won’t be able to get out and in the process cause the sensors to play up. The ECU's not giving out any codes so the sensors must be in good nick but I am going to assume that there is throttle cleaner that’s affecting their readings (must be the IACV).

My lude is an auto 4th gen with the H22A.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bouncing idle after using throttle cleaner (BB1 H22A LUDE)

The ports before the throttle blade are to the IACV and FITV, neither of these are sensors. Spraying cleaner in them causing a problem seems weird but I guess anything can happen.

Is your idle screw all the way in?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bouncing idle after using throttle cleaner (A Blue Lude)

My idle screw was quite far out from factory and i just turned it untill the idle was sitting back around 700rpm so it can still addjust a bit more i think, why were you wondering?

The idle still has a tendency to go above 1000k when in neutral or park and once the idle reaches 1.5k the bouncing starts and if it doesn't quite reach it, say 1.4k then it doesn't bounce it simply dropps down to 1k or so. Its pritty strange and im not sure how the throttle cleaner did it but it is the only thing that could have caused it.

Thanks