Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

another engine management question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another engine management question

I have a 1997 Honda Prelude Type-SH that I am in the process of turbocharging. As we all know ( or most of us at least ), running a turbo kit with no engine management, or a crappy FMU, is not a wise thing to do at all.

Here's the thing: I want to keep my ATTS functioning. I know that there is no way to keep the ATTS and convert to an OBD-I ECU, and the AEM EMS won't let me keep it either.

My only options are piggy-back systems, which include the GReddy e-Manage, the new GReddy e-Manage Ultimate, the GReddy blue box, and the A'PEXi V-AFC II.

Though it is an option, I will not be using the V-AFC II.

Unlike the V-AFC II, the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate allows for tweaking of the ignition and fuel. But my question is this: is it good enough to tune a turbo setup with?

On my setup, I'll be running about 5.5-6 psi, with 7 psi being my high-boost setting that I will rarely use.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: another engine management question (DIRTYsouthBB6)

My friend run Greddy E-Manage on his S2000 without having a problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do indeed get the setup to tune well on whatever piggyback you choose (this wont be easy), the atts is going to fail

it cannot handle the power, youre much better leaving it non-functioning than ruining it, in my opinion
Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you do indeed get the setup to tune well on whatever piggyback you choose (this wont be easy), the atts is going to fail

it cannot handle the power, youre much better leaving it non-functioning than ruining it, in my opinion</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if he is only going to be running a max of 7psi, i think he can get away with the Greddy ultimate. ONLY if he REALLY wants to keep atts. I havent read of anyone actually using the Ultimate yet to tune. Its seems like an ok tuning tool.

my opinion is that if you want to make power, you need to drop atts and go OBDI.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

If you really want to keep ATTS, why even bother with turbo? There is a power limit which you can't go past anyway. I see JRSC as being a better option, bc it will get you to right at that limit. If you can't go past the limit with turbo or jrsc, you might as well go with the jrsc and it's more linear power delivery. It'd also be easier to tune with vafc or emanage than turbo.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 AM
moderator emeritus

Default Re: Re: (vinuneuro)

boost is boost. Tuning with a vafc will have the same effects as it would on a turbo car.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well if he is only going to be running a max of 7psi, i think he can get away with the Greddy ultimate. ONLY if he REALLY wants to keep atts. I havent read of anyone actually using the Ultimate yet to tune. Its seems like an ok tuning tool.

my opinion is that if you want to make power, you need to drop atts and go OBDI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I REALLY do want to keep the ATTS.

Here's what my goal is:

My goal isn't to make as much power as possible, or to make my car the fastest thing on the road. My goal is to make my car a blast to drive, and to make my driving experience as enjoyable as possible. This is why I am running a low-boost turbo kit ( or will be I should say )... because I want to give the car a little extra umph when I get on the throttle. On the same hand, having a car that handles great is another factor that makes it fun to drive: that is why I want to keep the ATTS.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DIRTYsouthBB6)

Why aren't you looking at a jrsc? Since you're shooting for conservative power figures, you might as well lose the lag associated with the turbo.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vinuneuro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why aren't you looking at a jrsc? Since you're shooting for conservative power figures, you might as well lose the lag associated with the turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You raise a valid point, but, in my opinion, turbo= more fun.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you say so, but you're going to be missing power that an sc can give you pre-turbo lag.

Nonetheless, good luck.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vinuneuro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you say so, but you're going to be missing power that an sc can give you pre-turbo lag.

Nonetheless, good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank ya

I am planning on doing all that I can to fight turbo lag with my setup... custom-made 3-inch mandrel-bent downpipe, custom-made 3-inch mandrel-bent exhaust system, 2.25-inch mandrel-bent intercooler piping, no catalytic converter, and eventually an extrude-honed exhaust manifold.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:43 PM
moderator emeritus

extrude honed exhaust manifold?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">extrude honed exhaust manifold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I mean intake manifold sorry
Old 05-09-2006, 05:10 PM

turbo lag? if his goal is only to make as much power up to the ATTS limit then he can run a small turbo with exremly quick spool, like 1500rpm, and have a way better power curve than with a JRSC