Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

IS IT MY RECTIFIER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS IT MY RECTIFIER?

Hi
I ride a Honda cb600 "99" and have now gone through 3x batteries. I start the bike and hear clicking and it get to the stage where is drains the battery, Ive changed soleniod but it still clicks.

If i jump start the bike it will turn over and is ridable but i have to keep up the revs to stop it cutting out, im assuming it must now be the rectifier as there is no charge going to the battery, ive read other threads so please dont offer help if you dont know about electrical systems as the spark plug is nothing to do with this problem as bike fires up ok when i jump start it, just getting fed up jump starting it now..lol.

Ive now got a rectifier but does anyone know off the top of there head where its installed as cant find my manual and dont wanna open tank yet as fuel line the about 3 inches long and is a bugger to get back on.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Remove your seat and you can see it placed right by your battery, as for installation, I can't say I know offhand whether you need to remove the fuel tank or not (seeing as how i've never done it lol)

Now that you know where it is though... maybe itll be easier ^__^ good luck
Old 12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS IT MY RECTIFIER? (bombproof)

you should also check your stator/ generator.

that could also be the failure but in order to propperly test them you should get the manual.

the rectifier should either be under the front seat or in the tail under the passanger seat.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: IS IT MY RECTIFIER? (bombproof)

Hey guys, Im sure everyone knows by now that you dont jump start a bike from a runnin car right? sorry, I see this mistake all the time at the shop. Im just hopin to help, not **** nobody off.
Your rectifier could very well be bad, as the other guy said, check your stator and rotor also.
You might look at cbr.net or whatever it is... I got my f4I manual from there, free!!! we like free!!
You should probably plan on a battery also, even if it were good to begin with, charging and draining over and over will seriously shorten its life.
Also, you must have a fully charged battery to get a proper output reading when checking to see if your battery is getting a charge.
Oh, almost forgot, the rectifier is between tail section and frame, right side I think.
check wires for burned places, particularly around connector.
If you havent tried already you might double check your ground connections just to be sure you arent spending money to fix something you could have done for free. never hurts to check.
Once again, Im not tying to make anyone mad by stating whats obvious to some, we have all been in the position of not knowing where to look next. I just want to help.
Good luck , G.