Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

When does vtec engage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does vtec engage?

Ive been searching around and didn't come up with any real information on when vtec engages. I have a 2012 fit, what I came up with was that the motor is slightly different than earlier (07-08) models.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: When does vtec engage?

Can you not feel and or hear the vtec crossover? Ive heard the 07 and 08 models engage at 3400 to 3600 and the new ones engage at 5400. Im not certain because i have never owned one. I assume that you are sure you have the vtec model.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dioxine
Can you not feel and or hear the vtec crossover? Ive heard the 07 and 08 models engage at 3400 to 3600 and the new ones engage at 5400. Im not certain because i have never owned one. I assume that you are sure you have the vtec model.
I haven't even tried. The car has less than 200 miles on it. I'm just curious.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can't really feel it. it's "i-vtec" and all of them have it. it's only on the intake? side so it's not kick-in-the-pants feel of a b series vtec..
Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
you can't really feel it. it's "i-vtec" and all of them have it. it's only on the intake? side so it's not kick-in-the-pants feel of a b series vtec..
Well I bought he car with the intentions to save gas so my question is geared more towards what do I need to stay out of it rather than how high do I have to rev to get in it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Simply hook up a test light to the Vtec circuit. The GD's engage at around 2400-2600 it's hard to read the tach accurately enough to get an exact reading. How do I know just look at the Vtec light I have installed and there is proof not guessing.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
Yes, it has I-Vtec but then again so does the Rsx-s and Civic Si. The Fit's system is similar to the vx/hx vtec-e; the intake side only uses 1 valve per cylinder and the vtec engagement allows the second valves on the intake side to open during higher rpm's.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
Yes, it has I-Vtec but then again so does the Rsx-s and Civic Si. The Fit's system is similar to the vx/hx vtec-e; the intake side only uses 1 valve per cylinder and the vtec engagement allows the second valves on the intake side to open during higher rpm's.
This is true of the GD model L15A (much more economy type of VTEC) where it would run on just 12 valves and when VTEC engaged it would activate the other 4 intake valves. Whereas the GE L15A is a completely different motor all together and Honda would of been better served naming it differently. Maybe L15B instead of A. It has the traditional VTEC, all 16valves are running at all times and upon 5400rpms a higher cam profile is engaged on the intake side.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It engages tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lou_EM1
It engages tomorrow.
with the amount of power they make...if your lucky its tommorow.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 06 GD and it engage at 3500...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^

The GD does NOT engage at 3500 it is at 2400-2600 that it is activated just hook up a light to see for yourself. Don't rely on your butt dyno use facts instead.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't have time to look for a definite answer but its around 5800 if I'm not mistaken.

Only time I've ever heard mine engage was the short period when I had the prm intake on mine. No point in driving it hard enough to get it to engage cause it really doesn't make much difference. Sounded alright with the intake I had but never felt a difference.

Definitely nothing like the kick from a b-series.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tehondafrk
Don't have time to look for a definite answer but its around 5800 if I'm not mistaken.

Only time I've ever heard mine engage was the short period when I had the prm intake on mine. No point in driving it hard enough to get it to engage cause it really doesn't make much difference. Sounded alright with the intake I had but never felt a difference.

Definitely nothing like the kick from a b-series.
That kick in a B series is not a good thing at all. The reason for the kick is a big loss in the power band and then it spikes after VTEC engages. This can be tuned out for a much more linear powerband, what the L15A does in the GE, like the K series as well. That kick may feel nice, but actually it is pointless.

And actually there is a point to it engaging as it enacts a higher profile on the cam at 5400rpms stock as stated previously. Mine is at 5300 with the J's reflash. You didn't feel anything because of the linear output.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by claymore
^^^^

The GD does NOT engage at 3500 it is at 2400-2600 that it is activated just hook up a light to see for yourself. Don't rely on your butt dyno use facts instead.
I use to read instead using my butt to know something... I don't know if you like to use your butt, or what you do with it, it's not my problem...

At higher-rpms both intake valves opens and the engine now operates in 16valve mode. During my test-loan of the Jazz 1.5VTEC from Honda Malaysia, I thought the switch to be at approx 3,500rpm based on the subtle intake note change. When this happens, it effectively doubles the size of the intake valve, enabling almost double the amount of air-flow into the engine. The nett result is much better mid-range and high-end power on the L15A-VTEC, allowing it to deliver 110ps or almost 25% more power than the equivalent L15A i-DSI unit. In operation, it does not feel like running out of breath at all when entering high-rpms. Subjectively, there is a nice power surge after around 4000rpm and the power curve published by Honda (on the left) actually shows this surge. Indeed the profile of the power curve is not that much different from the B16A DOHC VTEC for e.g. which is supposed to be a 'true' 3-rocker arms VTEC engine. To enable this high level of power output, the exhaust system for the engine is actually upgraded in comparison to the L15A i-DSI system. So the rate of flow for the VTEC engine is now 55litres per second as compared to 50 litres per second for the i-DSI and this is achieved by increasing the diameter of the exhuast piping from 38.1mm to 42.7mm while the rear muffler volume is increased from 8 litres to 10 litres at the same time.

http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/
http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/JazzVtec/

Or here in Brazil, so they do in malasia, it's 3500... I can be wrong, but I read this...
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW this must be really really be true with him using his butt ears and all no FACTS NEEDED HERE.. "I thought the switch to be at approx 3,500rpm based on the subtle intake note change." Man must be a magician or something to be clairvoyant and feel when it engages instead of relying on scientific PROOF.

Not true the POWER SURGE is the cam coming into the power band. It's obvious you have never done your own work as it's a ten minute job to hook up a test light and prove it to yourself. Go to the VTEC solenoid on a GD find the green yellow wire and tap into it with a test light and go for a drive and see for yourself the FACT that it engages at 2400-2600.

I know because I have my light installed in the cabin and look at it EVERYTIME I drive my GD.

ps. you better find a new guru to blindly follow try this time to find one that knows what he is doing.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just noticed your own proof photo proves MY POINT FOR ME..... HA. Look at the dip in torque at 2500 that my simpleton friend is the VTEC engaging.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC5RK20A
That kick in a B series is not a good thing at all. The reason for the kick is a big loss in the power band and then it spikes after VTEC engages. This can be tuned out for a much more linear powerband, what the L15A does in the GE, like the K series as well. That kick may feel nice, but actually it is pointless.

And actually there is a point to it engaging as it enacts a higher profile on the cam at 5400rpms stock as stated previously. Mine is at 5300 with the J's reflash. You didn't feel anything because of the linear output.
The L can be as linear as you want it to be, but whatever the b series is in will be going faster.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsonteg
I haven't even tried. The car has less than 200 miles on it. I'm just curious.
Your going to want to get well up into the rpm's to break in the engine.

Try to vary the revs as much as possible, with alot of short blasts. It is very important that you let the engine "brake" itself by just letting off the throttle and letting the vehicle slow down on it's own, while in gear. This creates a vaccum in the cylinder and forces the rings outward, which wears down the peaks in the cylinder's fresh hone. Do this for the first 20 miles, and then proceed to beat the **** out of the motor, up to it's maximum rev range.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tehondafrk
The L can be as linear as you want it to be, but whatever the b series is in will be going faster.
And your point is? The B16A was designed more for a spirited engine whereas the L is an economy motor both in first and second edition. The fact remains that the notorious VTEC kick is waste, tune it out on a B series and the power is much better. Unfortunately too many idiots think is it something grand and go around spouting off about VTEC blah blah blah. Which shoe do you wear? No need to answer, from reading your reply I have a good feeling which one.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW this must be really really be true with him using his butt ears and all no FACTS NEEDED HERE.. "I thought the switch to be at approx 3,500rpm based on the subtle intake note change." Man must be a magician or something to be clairvoyant and feel when it engages instead of relying on scientific PROOF.

Not true the POWER SURGE is the cam coming into the power band. It's obvious you have never done your own work as it's a ten minute job to hook up a test light and prove it to yourself. Go to the VTEC solenoid on a GD find the green yellow wire and tap into it with a test light and go for a drive and see for yourself the FACT that it engages at 2400-2600.

I know because I have my light installed in the cabin and look at it EVERYTIME I drive my GD.

ps. you better find a new guru to blindly follow try this time to find one that knows what he is doing.
Old thread, I know Claymore! When does Vtec kick in on the L15B (2015 Honda Fit)?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It probably is up there like the GEs around 3500 or 5500 has been reported.

But the process for checking is the same put a test light on the vtec solenoid it takes a just few minutes but don't forget the vehicle needs to be moving vtec won't engage without a signal from the speed sensor.

Post a photo of your stock engine and I will see if I can point it out.

Do it and you can be first once again at providing facts not speculation.

And it's FREE so the better half can't complain you are spending money any more LOL.

Last edited by claymore; 10-12-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It probably is up there like the GEs around 3500 or 5500 has been reported.

But the process for checking is the same put a test light on the vtec solenoid it takes a just few minutes but don't forget the vehicle needs to be moving vtec won't engage without a signal from the speed sensor.

Post a photo of your stock engine and I will see if I can point it out.

Do it and you can be first once again at providing facts not speculation.

And it's FREE so the better half can't complain you are spending money any more LOL.
Sorry so late!

Thanks for your reply Claymore. I'll see what I can do.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem keep up the good work. For god's sake IGNORE anything Fit charlie says he actually has no clue to anything to do with the Fit.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem keep up the good work. For god's sake IGNORE anything Fit charlie says he actually has no clue to anything to do with the Fit.
Haha! I try to keep an open mind and listen to everyone but your point is taken.

Here is a pic of a stock engine. Let's see if this helps with the solenoid location.

Quick Reply: When does vtec engage?