Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Element Owners - List Your Frustrations (if any) and Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Element Owners - List Your Frustrations (if any) and Complaints

I own a 2005 Element EX 2WD automatic. It currently has 72K on it and for the most part has been an absolutely rock solid, reliable vehicle that I would purchase again if I had it to do over.

Having said that there have been some things that have been disappointments. I'm starting this topic for other Element owners to share their problems, and maybe we'll establish a set of common issues that most of us have experienced. Mechanical break downs, nagging issues, or even design features/lack of features that bug you. I'll start:

- First of all my biggest gripe is the poor FUEL ECONOMY.

This is my chief complaint. I understand it's hard to push a square box through the air and achieve any sort of semblance of fuel economy, but am I the only one that cannot even get 300 miles out of a tank when city driving? The only time my wife and I can eclipse the magical 300 mark is if we go on a road trip. I have changed out the engine air filter every 15K miles, changed the oil every 3000-3500 miles, and I've always kept my tires aired properly. Mentioning the tires is a good segway to my next gripe...

- The stock Goodyear tires were garbage and did not last nearly as long as I'd expected

Wow 27K out of a set of highway tires? Ouch. 27K was really pushing it too. We've since replaced those turds with Michelins and sitting at 72K (45K on tires) they still have tons of tread left. The Michelins are also quieter.

- Vehicle wasn't aligned properly from the factory

I know this is knit picky, and has nothing to do with the Element in general, but I performed a 4-wheel alignment on my Element within the first week of owning it since it veered to one side. I trust myself and my rack at work so I didn't feel like hassling with the dealership.

- Drive belt tensioner started making "bird chirping" noises at about 22K

Even knowing a few guys at the local dealership didn't help me get a new one under warranty. I rode it out until about 60K when I decided to replace it along with the drive belt. This isn't an issue limited to just the Element as I see K series cars come into my shop all the time with really noisy idler assemblies.

- Seat bolster material cracks very easily

I guess being weather resistant hard plasticy material means compromising somewhere? Hey you can wipe it off with a wet cloth...but it cracks less than 5 years into the deal.

- No option for seating three in the back seats

I understand the way that they are split to fold up might make for an uncomfy middle seat, but it would have still been a nice option. The cup holders there are handy for sure, but a third/middle seat would be handy-er IMO. It's be neat to have some sort of seat cushion that fits nicely into the cup holders and securely attaches otherwise too to give us the option of a middle seat in a pinch. A roof mounted shoulder seatbelt like found in the 96-up CR-V would top it off nicely.

That's about it really. I know, I know, there's nothing major on my list. I tell customers all the time that overall I think the Element is probably THE most rock solid vehicle in Honda's line-up starting in 2003 when they began to shift towards the K series and McPherson struts in virtually all models.

While other models engines' blocks are cracking and leaking coolant (06-08 Civics), wearing rear tires out like crazy because of bad control arms (06-08 Civics), having their a/c systems blow holes in their compressors which means a $2,800.00 entire a/c system replacement (02-05 CR-Vs), etc. etc. I'm complaining about gas mileage and cracked seats.

Please feel free to share your complaints though as maybe a pattern will develop. Maybe some of you have figured out a way to increase mpg? Maybe some of you have always gotten better fuel economy?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Element Owners - List Your Frustrations (if any) and Complaints

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
I own a 2005 Element EX 2WD automatic.

- The stock Goodyear tires were garbage and did not last nearly as long as I'd expected

Please feel free to share your complaints though as maybe a pattern will develop. Maybe some of you have figured out a way to increase mpg? Maybe some of you have always gotten better fuel economy?
I have a 2008 Element EX 4wd in 5 speed manual. Here are my ramblings...

Gas mileage. My main complaint isn't so much about gas mieage as it is about range. I average a little over 22 mpg at all times since I do the same drive every day pretty much. I drive 32 miles to work and 32 miles home. I leave at 3:30 am so it is zero traffic. I drive home at about 2:00 pm which is usually pretty heavy traffic in NYC. I cruise on the highways at roughly 65 to 70 mph. Seems to be the sweetspot for mpg. Any lower and you are out of the power range, any higher and wind resistance and rpms KILL gas mileage. At 80 mph the mpg drops like mad.

I get roughly 260 miles out of a tank. With the element the low fuel light comes on very very early. People have gone 100 miles with the light on with no problems. I have gone 75 with it on. If you see I do 260 miles with 22 mpg that means I am burning almost 12 gallons. The Element has a 15.9 gallon tank. So I am filling up with atleast 4+ gallons left. I don't know why the light comes on so early but maybe there is a reason honda did that?

22 mpg combined isnt to bad for the size of the truck and the room it has. I am coming from a 99 civic si which got about 30 mpg but required premium fuel so this is running me about the same price per mile maybe a little more. A bigger fuel tank would be nice.

Tires. I still have the stock good year tires. I have about 23k on my car. I am going to rotate them now and will probably get about 35k out of them.

Seat bolster material cracks very easily. This is something I am worried about. It has not happened yet but I know it will eventually. Common problem and common complaint. Although I really love the seat material. I have been using the car to surf with for the last couple of years and there is zero smell and zero stains from the saltwater.

No option for seating three in the back seats. Another annoying thing I agree with. When going out it always seems the 4 person seating causes some issue. Not a big deal as I usually just drive myself.

On top of what you said I would add:

Underpowered. 166hp in 3500 lbs is a little low. Some more power would have been nice

Suicide doors. I have no issue with them but passengers are clueless as to what they are and how they work. I always have to explain how to open it and that the rear door has to be closed before the front door.

seatbelts on seat. Again I have no issue but people will get in and not be able to find the seatbelt.

sunroof in the back. I NEVER use it. Not a complaint but I could do without it.

no storage armrest. I know you can get one from the factory but there is really no covered storage. All the little trays are open and the glove box is tiny.

overall though I really enjoy the car. it does everything i need to.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah as far as the smell in the interior goes it's crazy how long our "new car smell" lasted in ours. It probably had to do with those Honda all weather rubber floormats we added too. Every time we parked in the hot sun it smelled like a new car again. lol.

As far as the rear seating goes if you have kids it can get tricky really fast. We have one kid, so it's no biggie. Once we have another kid we won't be able to take grandma and the kids to where ever - we'll have to take two cars.

As far as this ones goes:

seatbelts on seat. Again I have no issue but people will get in and not be able to find the seatbelt.
I think this was a 2006-up model change? Our 2005 still has them in the door.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 PM
GDD 1%

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

05 EX AWD Auto - bought new and still have. About to hit 49,000 miles.

Issues:
-stock tires lasted 24K - and sucked in the rain
-fuel mileage is 20mpg no matter what - hwy, city, a/c, etc has no difference
-no temperature gauge for outside temp
-lack of power.
-lack of power (again).
-black plastic cladding fades in FL sun
-sunroof not in front. Come on Honda.

Otherwise bulletproof - changed oil, new tires, filters, battery, and gas is all it has needed. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if needed.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this was a 2006-up model change? Our 2005 still has them in the door.
2007 or 2008 actually. I have an 06 and ours are on the doors.

Steve
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

05 ex awd five speed. lowered on tein coilovers. damn rear axels. had to replace them 3 times then fabed custom 2" longer ones. fixed. there to short and when you drop it thay crap all the time.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I own a 2005 Element EX 2WD automatic. It currently has 72K on it and for the most part has been an absolutely rock solid, reliable vehicle that I would purchase again if I had it to do over.

Having said that there have been some things that have been disappointments. I'm starting this topic for other Element owners to share their problems, and maybe we'll establish a set of common issues that most of us have experienced. Mechanical break downs, nagging issues, or even design features/lack of features that bug you. I'll start:

This is my chief complaint. I understand it's hard to push a square box through the air and achieve any sort of semblance of fuel economy, but am I the only one that cannot even get 300 miles out of a tank when city driving? The only time my wife and I can eclipse the magical 300 mark is if we go on a road trip. I have changed out the engine air filter every 15K miles, changed the oil every 3000-3500 miles, and I've always kept my tires aired properly. Mentioning the tires is a good segway to my next gripe...

Wow 27K out of a set of highway tires? Ouch. 27K was really pushing it too. We've since replaced those turds with Michelins and sitting at 72K (45K on tires) they still have tons of tread left. The Michelins are also quieter.

I know this is knit picky, and has nothing to do with the Element in general, but I performed a 4-wheel alignment on my Element within the first week of owning it since it veered to one side. I trust myself and my rack at work so I didn't feel like hassling with the dealership.

Even knowing a few guys at the local dealership didn't help me get a new one under warranty. I rode it out until about 60K when I decided to replace it along with the drive belt. This isn't an issue limited to just the Element as I see K series cars come into my shop all the time with really noisy idler assemblies.

I guess being weather resistant hard plasticy material means compromising somewhere? Hey you can wipe it off with a wet cloth...but it cracks less than 5 years into the deal.

I understand the way that they are split to fold up might make for an uncomfy middle seat, but it would have still been a nice option. The cup holders there are handy for sure, but a third/middle seat would be handy-er IMO. It's be neat to have some sort of seat cushion that fits nicely into the cup holders and securely attaches otherwise too to give us the option of a middle seat in a pinch. A roof mounted shoulder seatbelt like found in the 96-up CR-V would top it off nicely.

That's about it really. I know, I know, there's nothing major on my list. I tell customers all the time that overall I think the Element is probably THE most rock solid vehicle in Honda's line-up starting in 2003 when they began to shift towards the K series and McPherson struts in virtually all models.

While other models engines' blocks are cracking and leaking coolant (06-08 Civics), wearing rear tires out like crazy because of bad control arms (06-08 Civics), having their a/c systems blow holes in their compressors which means a $2,800.00 entire a/c system replacement (02-05 CR-Vs), etc. etc. I'm complaining about gas mileage and cracked seats.

hit the nail right on the head w/ the fuel economy, driverside cracking on the outer *** cushion, and the lack of 3 passenger rear seat. i use to average around 20-21mpg and i drive very conservatively, but lately it has improved to about 23mpg. best i ever got was 26 on my way to vegas from socal.

i have 115k miles now on my 04 ex 4wd, and at 80k miles i use to have a problem w/ my E stalling if it wasn't warmed up all the way. did a valve adjustment and it went away and it has been running well ever since. brakes lasted me till 95k miles and ive changed everything maintenance wise other than the brake fluid.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mt23vtecbb2
05 ex awd five speed. lowered on tein coilovers. damn rear axels. had to replace them 3 times then fabed custom 2" longer ones. fixed. there to short and when you drop it thay crap all the time.
do you have pics of how low you are? i'm curious cuz i'm going to soon install my tein basics and i don't want to go too low to where i will have the rear axle problem
Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and yeah i'm also frustrated when i have to tell my passengers how to open the suicide doors lol. i ESPECIALLY hate it when i'm parked in a tight spot or someone parks too close to me, and you have open the doors and close them in a certain order a couple times to be able to get everybody out of the car lol