Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Dealership recommends hose kit service @ 90K

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership recommends hose kit service @ 90K

I'm probably not the smartest for taking my car to the dealership for service but I try and maintain my car.
It goes without saying that every time I go for an oil change there's always a "flush" that's needed etc.
2011 CRV with 86K miles has had the brakes flushed three times, power steering twice. coolant twice, trans once, spark plugs changed.
Now they say at 90K I will need the "hose kit service" for 650 dollars and at 100K the belt service whic is belts, tensioner and water pump for 750 dollars.
Do these sound right?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dealership recommends hose kit service @ 90K

brakes flushed three time ? power steering twice ? ect. sounds like your being played but the belts at 100k sounds right but a hose kit service at 90k doesn't seem right to me
Old 07-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I want to maintain the vehicle as best I can but it's tough to tell what's necessary and not. I've maintained the car every 5 thousand miles since it was new. But the purpose of driving a paid off car in excellent shape is obviously to save a few bucks. If preventative maintenance becomes more expensive than a car payment it kind of defeats the purpose. Not to mention if something actually does break or wear out I'm going to have to pay for that. I've also recently had all four brakes turned and replaced. Just trying to figure out what's necessary and what's overkill.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You're definitely getting ripped off with all those "services". That's actually how the dealerships make good money with the flushes. I wouldn't get anything flushed unless you're having a problem with that system or it's an actual service interval (i.e. Trans fluid) or to replace coolant that's rated to 5 years etc.

I've never heard of a hose kit service - what exactly did they say was included with that? Very curious. Sounds like another ripoff though.

Replacing a belt is standard practice at 100k for most cars although I'm sure you could stretch it another 10-15k before you get squealing. Water pump aond tensioner is just preventative thing. It's actually a legitimate recommendation, but I wouldn't replace unless you have a problem with them.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tips. He said the hose kit consists of 17 hoses! I do live in Florida but I had a 10 year old Accord a couple years back and I don't remember changing out all the hoses.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That dealer is working you over. Brake fluid flush is 3 years, spark plugs are 100k miles, power steering and coolant are like never. Even oil change is well beyond 5,000 miles.
Why are you not simply using the maintenance minder system?
I'm an older person, having trouble adjusting, but the MM system is really easy, simple and straight forward, especially if you have the car maintained at the dealer. Descriptions for the various maintenance codes are in the back of the owners manual.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks udraft. I just Googled the mm and see that it will give codes according to what's needed.
I definitely think I've been spending way more than I need to be.
Isn't there something ethically wrong here with me dealership saying I need all this stuff when in all likelihood I don't? I'm just trying to keep the car in good shape but when something mechanical does go wrong and I'm paying for that too I'm going to end up paying for the car twice.
This is really irritating. Also every time I pay hundreds of dollars, I always ask, ok so then it will be good to go it'll only need oil next time? Then inevitably it always needs another flush or spark plugs or injection cleaning. Tough to trust.

Last edited by reburton3; 07-24-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Didn't finish