Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

CRV Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV Problems?

Hey all,

Looking into getting an AWD 5spd crv, with the intention of boosting down the road.

What are the problems/issues I should be concerned about with the CRV? Is the first gen a better bet versus second gen?

I read about some AC issues, harmonic issues at highway speeds, and a few other issues. Just wondering if a CRV is a good choice, or if I should go for something else instead.

Input is welcome!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRV Problems?

drive in tight figure 8 and hear for noises.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just copy/pasted this from another post that was similar that I posted in.

Check to see when the valves were last adjusted. Long story short the interval on the US cars seems like it was written up as over 100K Miles, while in the UK it was I think 35-40K mile interval for adjustment. Result is a lot of 1st gen CRVs valves are so out of adjustment they have real permanent valve damage issues. Ask when it was last done, look for paper work on it, start the vehicle cold, and put it in gear right away. If it stalls, it would match what people have reported with the valve issues.

Ask when the rear diff was last serviced. They can be noisy if the fluid isn’t changed.

The clocks on the first gens tend to go bad. There is a write up on line how to fix it I believe.

People have reported having to replace sway bar links. I don’t have any experience in this, but I expect you would probably hear some knocking.

All the usual crap in looking at a car. See if it burns oil. Try out all the functions, get it on a hill and jam the gas to check the clutch blah blah blah.

I would also look for a 99+ vehicle, as they have the B20Z with a bit more power. I haven’t driven a 97-98 vehicle, but I cant imagine my 99 with less power as its an underpowered vehicle as is. I believe in the US, the EX had the ABS, where as the lower model didn’t. In Canada they all had ABS ( I think?)

I love my 99 CRV for an all round driver here in BC. With good tires all seasons, it’s pretty good in both snow and a little dirt. As far as a platform for boost, can’t help you with that as I have no experience with it. Check the above before you buy and you should be able to find yourself a good starting point.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll even notice the 15 or so HP difference to be honest with you, between the 97-98 vs. 99-01. My buddy has a 98 and I have a 99 and driving both they both pull exactly the same. The reason is because both of the motors have the same amount of torque, which is ultimately what matters when driving such a heavy vehicle. That 15 hp or so isn't going to make any difference when you're actually driving. Converted to whp it's probably close to nothing....
Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the rear dual pump diff will only hold up to 300awhp max. Beyond that you would need to get a 88-91 wagovan rear diff and swap it right in will some easy H hanger 1 inch sqare tubing with longer bolts when using the wago upper support frame brace that bolts right to the crv, weird huh. lol. I can send you pics of mine if you want. Use the Wago drive shaft and get a CandC company to make you a 1 3/8 spacer for the crv to wago bolt pattern difference. Remember: the wago bolt hols are not perfectly sqare. I can have that made for anyone needing one. cost is around 375.00. Thicker is more. also the rear drive cv axles will need to be made from the driveshaftshop.com. Left side from wheel bearing to diff seal is 26 3/4 and pass side is 24 3/4. Text me @ 765 960 5237