Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

CR-V EX-L vs CR-V Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 02:17 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR-V EX-L vs CR-V Touring

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I need some advice / input in a decision I'm trying to make between buying either a new CR-V EX-L or a CR-V Touring.. As I live in Canada the difference in price between the 2 trim levels, after tax is about $3K CDN.
I will focus on the main upgrades of the Touring model:

1) Touring's built-in Navigation system. Based on Garmin with map updates for 5 years. Disadvantage of this system is I can't take it with me if I plan a walkabout in a foreign city, or can't program into it addresses unless I sit in the car. Plus I hear the map updates are very expensive.

2) Touring's Premium audio system. The EX-L already has a good one does it not? Do I really need this?

3) Touring's Blind Spot Info System with Rear Cross Traffic alert. A definite plus, but worth $3K?

4) Hands-Free access power tailgate. The EX-L has the power tailgate, just not hands-free. If I really need this, can be added to the EX-L for $500. Is it really that handy?

5) LED Headlights. If it's cold and snowing or freezing rain, these won't melt accumulation on the headlights as well as a halogen bulb on the EX-L will.

6) Panoramic Roof: There are increasing reports in Canada and the USA of exploding sunroofs (see report on Global News website). The larger the surface area (i.e. panoramic) the greater the chance of failure, so while having a larger sunroof may be visually attractive, it presents a hazard, not only from thousands of glass pieces raining down on you, but also the noise that could startle the driver and cause an accident.

7) Rain-sensing wipers - I can turn them on myself

8) Roof rails: I intend to carry a kayak, and possibly bikes using Thule equipment. With the flush mounted rails the Touring offers, the location where the load bars can be placed is limited to one location so the space between the bars is preset. Will this location allow my kayak straps to go around the kayak's cockpit cowling? Would I be better of with a normal roof (like on the EX-L) that can allow placement of the footpads on the roof anywhere along the roof's edge? Or will this system offer less strength to carry loads compared to the Touring's flush mounted rails?

As you can see, lots of things to consider, leaving me looking for any additional info / points of view that might help make the decision.

Lastly, if I can get a 2017 model for less than a 2018 model of the same trim, am I missing out on a new feature / upgrade?

Thanks to all who care to comment.

Last edited by DenisG; 12-09-2017 at 02:44 AM.