98 Crv Build log

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Crv Build log

Tires, wheels, and roof rack.
Hello everyone,
Fairly new to H-T, but I've been coming here for a while just reading through forums whenever problems arise with my cars. Ive been into hondas since I was about 16. My first car was a completly stock 1996 civic which I still have just sitting in the garage. Thought I would introduce myself by doing a build log of my current set up. After my second child I needed something that was 2 car seat capable. Found a pretty rough 98 with 180k miles and a price tag in my budget. So I brought her home and began cleaning the years of neglect. After getting the faded and peeling clear bra off and a good wash inside and out. I started with buying a set if General Grabber AT2 205/75/15 as the tires on there were completly shot. I then scavanged a OE roof rack from a local junk yard for 15$ and paint matched that to wheels in the duplicolor metallic gray. This will be a slow build with lots of pictures please feel free to leave comments or suggestions. Ive always been intrigued with peoples build threads and the documentation of the work they've done.

Last edited by liftedRD1; 05-27-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 05-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Crv Build log

First Honda that started my addiction

Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought all new struts and new 40mm spacers for the rears and 30mm for the fronts
40mm rears
fronts done
All four corners done should have bought bigger tires.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After doing the lift got around to doing routine maintenance. Got a misfire code in cylinder #3 found valves to be on the tight side did a valve adjustment, fuel filter, plugs/wires, cam seal and change rear diff fluid due to howling under hard acceleration or icy conditions. Changed it 3 times still getting the noise, now on the look for a element differential as a eventaul upgrade. Everything was running great until pulled into work one day detonated clutch. Have new parts ordered will post pics when they arrive.

Found a stock height V, tbought id snap a pic to show the difference after the lift.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed 👍
Where did you purchase the struts and spacers? Looking to do that soon. Looking forward to the element diff too!
Old 05-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up buying monroe quickstruts from Rockauto, they were by far the cheapest. I couldnt justify spending a ton of money on ome and bilsteins or anything of that price tag considering how much the cars worth. The spacers I got off Ebay, there the solid rubber ones. Again there are definetly nicer ones on the market but for now this is just a daily. With the new struts taking out the sag and spacers i got almost 2" of lift. Hopefully after fixing the big items, clutch, rearend, and installer a cleaner interior, I might go back and pick up some better suspension parts.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Made some mudflaps while the Crv was down will post pics when its light outside. Finally got all the parts in to fix the V should start on that within the next couple days.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm liking your CRV. What material are you making the mud flaps out of? And where did you get it?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Smackin
I'm liking your CRV. What material are you making the mud flaps out of? And where did you get it?
Thanks man,
I actually made them out of a couple of those flexible cutting boards. You can pick them up at any walmart or home goods store only crapping thing is you have to buy a couple packages cause they come in sets of 4 but different colors, so my wife ended up getting a couple cutting boards for mothers day.😁
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys so i found this spring comoressor at harbor freight after a little modifying it actually works alot better then the traditional ones from the parts store. I ended up grinding down the tips that go in between the coils a little bit and was able to install the lift spacers in about 20 min.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liftedRD1
I ended up buying monroe quickstruts from Rockauto, they were by far the cheapest. I couldnt justify spending a ton of money on ome and bilsteins or anything of that price tag considering how much the cars worth. The spacers I got off Ebay, there the solid rubber ones. Again there are definetly nicer ones on the market but for now this is just a daily. With the new struts taking out the sag and spacers i got almost 2" of lift. Hopefully after fixing the big items, clutch, rearend, and installer a cleaner interior, I might go back and pick up some better suspension parts.
Can you post the link to the spacers you bought? While many may prefer machined aluminum spacers for longevity, I'd imagine the rubber spacers provide a smoother ride. How's the handling with those rubber spacers?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tootsie7944
Can you post the link to the spacers you bought? While many may prefer machined aluminum spacers for longevity, I'd imagine the rubber spacers provide a smoother ride. How's the handling with those rubber spacers?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Complete-lift-kit-40mm-for-Honda-CR-V-CRV-1995-2001-strut-spacers-/112356028634?fits=Model%3ACR-V&hash=item1a28f0f0da%3Ag%3A-%7EkAAOSwXYtY4ISt&_trkparms=pageci%253Affc13e32-5592-11e7-a0a5-74dbd18004c7%257Cparentrq%253Ac4a1b1ee15c0ab6ad3a4 929ffffa9292%257Ciid%253A10

Although my car has quite a bit of body roll due to cut sway bar links, it still rides a hundred times better with the new struts and spacers then just the old struts. However the spacers did have a squeek the first few weeks that was kind of obnoxious but went away after they broke in I guess.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Began disassembly to pull motor and tranny for a little freshening up. New clutch kit, Timing belt, T-stat, tensioner, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, CV axles. Think Im ready to drop it out the bottom my next day off.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lookin guuci mang!!!! hows those mudd flapps turninn out??
Old 06-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got the motor out and began disassembly.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD_WC
lookin guuci mang!!!! hows those mudd flapps turninn out??

Ive got them all cut out but focused more on pulling the engine in waht little spare tome I have. just have to line up and drill the mounting holes then theyll be on, will take some pics when I get them all lined up they turned out better then I expectes though.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Trial User

Hi, i got the same car. What do you plan on doing with the engine?
Old 07-02-2017, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

]Hi, i got the same car. What do you plan on doing with the engine?

For now just some of the bigger maintenance while its out for replacing the clutch, timing belt, waterpump, oil pan gasket, thermostate rear main seal. Stuff like that going to see how much life i can get out of this motor, maybe after it takes a dump ill do a b20vtec, Or supercharger.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys got a little farther today, put in new oil pan gasket, rearmain seal, clutch, pressure plate flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, waterpump and timing belt on. Now just have to rotat it a couple times to set tension. Then hopecully put it back into the car soon.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also got a second to mock up the mud flaps, still have to make a bracket for the rears.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So finally got some time to wrap up a couple things on the V. Its been a while but sometimes life gets in the way lol. Ive had the motor back in the car now for a few weeks. Noticed had a pretty bad vibration on taking off, read on here could be due to cheap axels and the lift I have. So figured I would just have to live with it. Meanwhile I was replacing all the powersteering soft lines trying to rid a wicked leak I now have after pulling the motor and noticed front lower motor mounts were pretty bad so I order a new set of motor mounts. What do ya know cured the vibrating. Still have a little drip coming from what I think is rack and pinion itself so itll just have to stay that way for while since another would be about 250$.
As for any other progress just got in the rear differential dampner and will be installing in the next couple days, also Im looking into a light bar above the windshield and on the look out for anyone parting out clean crv interior as mine is pretty nasty. Still on the hunt for block and head to start building a b20vtec but not willong to pay outrageous prices everyone seems to be asking. Any way will update as I get more time and money.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've found that front lower mount goes bad on Civics, CR-V's, and Integras VERY often. When mine went bad on my CR-V (having replaced it on 2 previous Civics I owned), I decided to look for a urethane one...do a "once-and-for-all" kinda replacement. I found a really nice one that was pretty damn solid, surrounding metal housing was a single piece of billet aluminum. Really quite beautiful! Put that guy in and it immediately felt like I was sitting ON the engine! I was very surprised changing just one motor mount would transfer so much vibration! I left it on there for about 30k miles and then finally said ***** it...I can't take the noise and vibration anymore. I bought a mount kit through Rock Auto, replaced that solid bastard, and now I completely understand why the stock ones fail so often! If Honda designed those little spindley suspension webs in the mount with any amount of substantial structure, they might as well slap a John Deere badge on the front of the vehicle!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol Matt, I did the exact same thing. those more solid accessory mounts make it feel so shitty I replaced with OE style as well because a rattling steering wheel and dashboard is for the birds.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys so its been a while havnt had a chance to get a whole lot done. I did manage to get a new rear differential and dampner mount put on. Had to cut the old one out cause bolt was seized in the mount. Now all vibrations are gone, was glad to see it wasnt the axles I put on while doing the clutch. Next project is figuring out the powersteering leak. replaced all soft lines still getting a decent puddle after sitting for a few hours. Im thinking ill have to pull the rack and rebuild or replace it.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got my christmas present parts in the other day, New rack and outer tie rods, and a cabin filter to see if I can get more air flow, and smell out of the car. Also order a 200,000 BTU heater to keep the garage nice and toasty while working on the V.

Quick Reply: 98 Crv Build log