Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2nd gen from the UK build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen from the UK build

hi guys
Just a little background, i have a 2005 2nd gen CR-V 2.2 turbo diesel. Im from the east of england amd im 25. I havent seen any CR-V's from the UK on here yet but if there are please let me know!
I work on behalf of the US military so see lots of lifted trucks but not CR-V's

Been trawling this site for months gathering information and inspiration! I thought i would start a little thread of my own.

Here it is currently, standard other than some 16 inch steels with some BF Goodrich AT tyres.

I have the tema4x4 30mm lift kit (strut spacers) on the way and a Westin safari light bar from russia and the states respectively.

I do have a question for those who have used the tema4x4 strut spacers, did any of you have to do any camber adjustments after this?
I plan to add some lift springs when i can find some, 2nd gens seem more difficult to find parts, especially in the UK.......my picture seems to be too large any way of changing the size for future reference?

cheers W8SEY

to find parts, especially in the UK.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2nd gen from the UK build

Already looking great!

Yes, you will want to fix camber after installing the lift spacers. Camber bolts up front, and adjustable arms out back. I got both from Moog.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome!
Nice to see a fellow RD9 in Cosmic Grey
I have the 4x4 spacers installed together with the front camber bolts from Eibach and rear arms from SPC in the states.
Eibach is the issuer for SPC in Europe but unfortunately they only offer the front camber bolts in Europe, not the arms.
I also have the Westin bar on it´s way from US :D

But I have to ask you, where did you get the steelies? width? ET?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AndrewDB1
Already looking great!

Yes, you will want to fix camber after installing the lift spacers. Camber bolts up front, and adjustable arms out back. I got both from Moog.
Hi Andrew

Cheers for that! Hopefully she will be looking much different in the coming weeks. Do you happen to have the part numbers or links for the camber parts you used from moog? hopefully they deliver to the uk!

W8SEY
Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ClabbeB
Welcome!
Nice to see a fellow RD9 in Cosmic Grey
I have the 4x4 spacers installed together with the front camber bolts from Eibach and rear arms from SPC in the states.
Eibach is the issuer for SPC in Europe but unfortunately they only offer the front camber bolts in Europe, not the arms.
I also have the Westin bar on it´s way from US :D

But I have to ask you, where did you get the steelies? width? ET?
Hi ClabbeB
Hopefully this reply works...

It is nice to see another! Do you by any chance have the links to the camber parts you have used?
I am also wanting to black out my front grill, did you have any issues with the chrome parts?

I got some 16 x 7 Tuff Torque steels ... https://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/16-tuff-t...e=honda%20crv:

They are from a company in the UK but thet deliver internationally. just enquire for a quote on delivery after choosing what you would like (size and weight dependant)
They are a very helpfull company with a customer service department on the phone and email to answer any questions.

Finally do you have any future plans for your V?
Old 03-02-2018, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes,
Not a problem, Eibach is a German company so the front bolts are easy to get from eBay for example in UK: part no: Eibach 5-81280K
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Ez...MAAOSwuOxZ1jEY
The SPC is not available in Europe, only in U.S - either eBay or Amazon should do. part no: SPC 67430
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-ADJUSTA...hal2yV&vxp=mtr

The chrome parts on the grille can be a bit tricky to click out of the frame, several screws and small plastic clips that needs to be pushed out.
You´ll end up with 5 different pieces and the H itself is probably hardest to get loose without braking the pins, if you wanna black it out as well, I´m changing mine to a red R instead as son as I get it home.
I just used regular matt black spray paint on it and let it dry, however after a power wash and a drive in snow/slush storm, some of the paint have come off so I need to redo it.
Maybe end it off with a coat of lacquer to seal it or maybe I´ll try with some rubber paint like PlastiDip, haven´t really decided yet.

Was looking at getting steelies with at least ET 20 to get some deep dish look, but seems hard to find in our PDC unless you wanna shell out a fortune.

Future plans are always there :D
Question is just how much of them I´ll get away with without the missus seeing them, since I have a 2 months baby at the moment (not the V)
But future upgrades that are on the incoming is the
1) Westin safari bar
2) Yellow glass fogs
3) Redo the grille and add a red H emblem
4) Adding 15mm spacers to my 16x7.5" ET35 wheels.
5) Install a custom switch panel in the dash (panel is under manufacturing)
6) Connect the water temp and turbo gauge
7) Connect all strobe lights to the relays and connect to the button
8) Re-wire the tail lights adding a second taillight bulb where the foglight is for estethical view

9) Get 225/70/16 Geolander G015 tires for the summer (which will add another 35mm lift)

and much more small things here and there, probably will have a custom manufactured trailer hitch hook
Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the links and the part numbers, appreciate that.

The rear camber arms (hopefully im giving them the correct name) are quite pricey, is the rear as bad as the front after the lift or are they both equally bad?! (i too have a missus and a new house that are keeping tabs on my spending lol)

so when you took the grill off did you then remove the chrome pieces and paint them all individually before re assembling them afterwards?

The only tip i can give is to sand the chrome pieces firs with fine grit sandpaper removing the shine, then using a etch primer. The sanding will help to give the etch primer something to adhere to. leave this for a while then go for your top coat and lacquer. Be careful with lacquer as if you drip on your painted piece with it it can strip the paint.

I am too looking to get some wider wheels with some dish.

1) light bar to go on the westin safari bar
2) window tint
3) side step bars
4) wider wheels and tyres ( possably looking to "band" my current wheels ) ......If not 30mm wheel spacers all round (would like them to stick out)
5) roof basket
6) black out my grill
7) DAB head unit

W8SEY
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If only the camber was wrong, you might get away without correcting it and only notice a little extra tire wear. The thing is, toe will also be wrong. That makes for bad handling, and it'll chew up tires in a hurry. I had visible feathering in just 2 weeks of driving while I waited for my parts to arrive.

I looked up the Moog arms (part# RK90489) on Amazon UK and was amazed to see they cost almost 4x more than on US Amazon! Maybe it's worth checking if any US based stores will ship to you?

Here are some 16x7 steelies with a lower offset of +12. They're from the '07ish Ford Crown Victoria. Honestly I like the ones you have better. But these are cheap and common over here. The same era Ranger could be had with aluminum wheels in the same spec - I got some of those for my summer wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket...53.m1438.l2649

My black painted grille is also chipping like crazy. I did sand the pieces down nicely, but neglected to prime or clearcoat. Will have to redo properly in summer.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As Andrew put it, the rear arms are needed.
If you wanna opt out of anything then choose the front bolts. It will cause a little extra wear to the front, but not as much as the rear would
Old 03-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have ordered both.....dont tell the mrs! Got them at a good price actually from RockAuto in the states. Hopefully i got the right parts!
Cant wait for this lot to arrive.

So do i go for two spot lights on the bar or do i go for a light bar?

Hopefully they should be here in a week or so
Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed my light bar directly into the crash bar
Old 03-04-2018, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good, I like the idea of a light bar on the new safari bar but decent light bars in the UK are expensive. Might look again into the US market. If anyone knows of a good seller let me know!

Propper Hella spots are also quite pricey. I do quite like the look of the yellow spots.

W8SEY
Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thought i would just leave this here .....I see posts about mpg with big tyres and things especially with the US only doing petrol i believe. Ill see if anything changes with the lift or bull bar, but with wheels/tyres and roof bars im still getting this! 430 miles till needing to fill up and 41.9mpg average over those miles! (No motorway miles in this either!)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. That converts to 33.3 US MPG, which is phenomenal for a CUV. I'm really impressed!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Parts have arrived!

So the westin safari bar: looks good, built very well and has nice welds. The fitting kit is very substantial which is nice to see. looking forward to fitting it this weekend.

the camber parts: right, so I went for Moog all round.
The bolts look just fine. They have SPC stamped on the heads.

The rear camber arms I have a slight issue with. Not sure why or if this is normal so maybe Andrew may be able to help me here as he went for Moog also...

the rear arms appear to be different, one has SPC stamped onto it while the other doesn’t. So...the one with SPC stamped on it has a little piece of additional metal on it that my thumb is on. The one that doesn’t has a piece that you attach to the body of the arm by the looks of it.

Is this normal for the arms to look diferent e.g do they differ from side to side. and also is SPC a different brand to Moog? One looks cheaper than the other.

one came in a nice branded Moog box and one came in a plain box but with a Moog sticker on it. Both have the same part number on it though.

anyone shed any light?

Also so I got myself a Thule freeride 532 cycle carrier. Great sturdy piece of kit. My only problem with it was the fact that I couldn’t reach without a stepladder to get it onto the truck! Lol and I’m over 6ft!

Old 03-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's just two different styles of bracket for the ABS wiring to clip into. I don't know which is better or if it matters - I just zap-strapped mine directly to the arm. The shop did the same thing when they did my alignment.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Afaik Moog is selling SPC under their own brand
I'm 6,1" and I bought side steps to reach the roof easier
Especially now when it is lifted
With the new tires comes an additonal 33mm lift
Old 03-14-2018, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks both of you for that.

Clabbe - I think I’m going to do the same, any link to your side rails/steps/bars ?

Andrew/clabbe
so it shouldn’t matter that the two are different? Just that one is SPC and one is MOOG is that correct?

Thanks again
W8SEY
Old 03-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by W8SEY
Clabbe - I think I’m going to do the same, any link to your side rails/steps/bars ?
Got mine here, but sure you can find them other places as well. Mounting was pretty straight forward,.
https://www.carid.com/tuff-bar/3-bla...207&url=959182
Old 03-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little update for you.

I have wrapped some of the chrome in matt black wrap to match the other black parts on the grill. I’ll let the pictures do the talking....

Old 03-21-2018, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the brackets I received and also here’s the diagram and instructio

Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, got it..

First picture (Bracket A) , the holes to the left bolts onto the radiator support and the hole to the right bolts onto the end of the tube on the bar
Second picture and the bracket you are holding (Bracket B) , is basically a support bracket that bolts onto the back of Bracket A so that you have Tube/bar - Bracket A - Bracket B
Then just see where bracket B ends under the car, and there should be an existing M14 bolt that you bolt it under

Easiet way is to first bolt bracket A and B together, find the mounting points of A and it should show you where B should be bolted
Old 03-21-2018, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ClabbeB
Ok, got it..

First picture (Bracket A) , the holes to the left bolts onto the radiator support and the hole to the right bolts onto the end of the tube on the bar
Second picture and the bracket you are holding (Bracket B) , is basically a support bracket that bolts onto the back of Bracket A so that you have Tube/bar - Bracket A - Bracket B
Then just see where bracket B ends under the car, and there should be an existing M14 bolt that you bolt it under

Easiet way is to first bolt bracket A and B together, find the mounting points of A and it should show you where B should be bolted
thanks for that! Got the brackets mocked up, got everything labeld as to what item number they are.
Just wondering if you have a picture of where it should mount? I know you have a picture of the front of your V without the bumper on in your thread...could you mark on that what part of the radiator support it should go on?

Basically is it a bumper off job and that’s why I’m not seeing it?

Thanks again appreciate it.
W8SEY
Old 03-21-2018, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by W8SEY
Just wondering if you have a picture of where it should mount?
Basically is it a bumper off job and that’s why I’m not seeing it?
Hard to show on the image as it is angled.
Should be able to be installed without taking off the bumper and just cut out in the splash guard.
Ofc it will be more simpler to install the brackets with a bumper off.

But if you are standing above the radiator, and follows it to the bottom.
The bottom of the radiator is standing in a frame (aka bulkhead) with each corner of the radiator in a "hole"
Simplest to find it is to remove the splash guard, crawl under the car, and locate where the radiator is and you will have the radiator support right in front of you.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just tried this
The brackets does not fit our frame
Have to customize it

Quick Reply: 2nd gen from the UK build