Notices

Clutch Cable Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Question

Hey everyone..first of all my clutch seems to be acting fishy lately..the pedal will get really floppy and have alot of play, it seems as if have no tension for my clutch pedal for about an inch or so then it will hit the normal feeling of pressure and disengage. But when I either give it a good rip or go on a long cruise on the highway the pedal stiffens back up and goes back to normal feeling without the sloppyness and play(for a couple of mins only then goes back) . Now this is on my b16 cable tranny which the cable im guessing seems to be binding up (or so I think), and am going to get a new one. I thought all DA clutch cables were the same but after looking at them online the gsr and ls cable have different part numbers and are slightly different in length. I'd like to know the corect one to get this time, and if you have any other ideas why it is causing this strange activity please help!!..thanks in advanced..
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Cable Question

If you replace the clutch cable and it still does the same thing, then check the clutch pedal pivot point on your pedal assembly for cracking. This is a pretty common issue with these year cars. A pressure plate that is begining to fail will also have similar symptoms.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its got a competition clutch stage 2 clutch and pressure plate that is fairly new, the pivot point area already snapped around thanksgiving time and i took that out and re-enforced it wayyyy stronger than it will ever need to be and was an awesome improvement. i also replaced the collar and bushings where the clutch pivots.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nobody knows?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The throw out bearing could be getting stuck on the input shaft part way through the travel of the pedal. I hope that makes sense.

I had it happen to me, the old throw out bearing was getting stuck on the very end of the shaft and holding the pressure plate off of the clutch disk.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Throw out bearing binding on the shaft due to poor/inadequate lubrication.
I realize your clutch/pressure plate are fairly new, but I know several people on here have had issues w/CC pressure plates. If the clutch cable and the external brackets and pivots are in order then you will have to drop the trans and see whats going on in there.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by littlewagon
Throw out bearing binding on the shaft due to poor/inadequate lubrication.
I realize your clutch/pressure plate are fairly new, but I know several people on here have had issues w/CC pressure plates. If the clutch cable and the external brackets and pivots are in order then you will have to drop the trans and see whats going on in there.
So even if the pedal is still floppy and the cable is rock hard at the adjuster..this is still possible? Also if needed what type of car should I buy the throw out bearing for, or could I just take out the old one and lubricate it?? Btw thanks for the responses.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just went throw the same thing,it was the clutch.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonnyt1130
So even if the pedal is still floppy and the cable is rock hard at the adjuster..this is still possible? Also if needed what type of car should I buy the throw out bearing for, or could I just take out the old one and lubricate it?? Btw thanks for the responses.
So the clutch pedal pivots smoothly back and forth, correct? And the clutch cable adjustment is firm but not overtightened, correct? If you have a friend actuate the pedal you can see the cable properly pulling the lever on the transmission w/no loss of movement due to bent/damaged bracket or other mechanical fault, correct?
If all this if correct then the problem is most likely with the pressure plate.
When the spring "fingers" on the pressure plate start to lose tension, it will cause the symptoms you are describing. Also a clutch disc that has a loose/broken spring can cause an intermittent problem like this. At this point I think you are going to have to drop the transmission and take a look inside.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In case any of you were wondering the cause or find this in the search section when trying to solve the same problem...It was the clutch cable, the old one was binding up. I bought a new 93 integra ls one and it is better than ever, and the pedal goes down smooth like butter.

Last edited by jonnyt1130; 06-02-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonnyt1130
In case any of you were wondering the cause or find this in the search section when trying to solve the same problem...It was the clutch cable, the old one was binding up. I bought a new 93 integra one and it is better than every and the pedal goes down smooth like butter.
Thanks for the heads up I have a similar problem with mine, think it could be the cable as well. And where is the pedal pivot point on the clutch pedal located? and what bushing did you change on there?