Anyone DIY obd1 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone DIY obd1 conversion?

Well I found a table on this website that has how to do it, and I am gonna attempt to do it. I went to the junkyard today and found some obd1 clips that go into the ecu and just cut em off, it was off an ex.. So I am just gonna try to hardwire it in. Anyone done it, good idea, bad idea?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Anyone DIY obd1 conversion? (CimorelliCRX)

How much is your time worth to you? I did it in my current CRX which ran a OBD1 B17. I have since sold that B17 and opted for a JDM Type R.

Yes, I snipped off all the wires at the ECU and re-pinned every single one to some OBD1 plugs I got from the junkyard. It was quite time consuming and a learning experience.

Now that there are harnesses available, I'd rather go that route instead. Your original CRX harness remains intact and its just plug and play. Not only that, the harness has leads for various items like Vtec, IAB's etc.

If I could do it all over again, I wished I didnt cut off all of my original OBD0 wires and repin them. The harness is the key! Time is money and that time could be spent doing something else you make good money with.

For me, I could have replaced a clutch for a customer in the time it took me to re-pin and solder all those wires!!! With that labor money, I could have bought a harness and had money left over!

Well, at least I can say Ive done it with success. Its a self-pride thing. But like I said, now that there are harnesses that can be bought, I'd go that route.

Hit up Jason (blown90hatch) and check out his website. Or if you are in my area, I have them in stock and use them for my swaps.

I have many "swapped" customers running around with no issues with his harnesses. I wouldnt use them if I didnt trust them to be a part of the swaps that come out the doors at HAND COMMAND.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:51 AM

also search the member YumVTEC. Hes has been in a few post about B17's and he made his own convertion wireing harness. With no codes on start up.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone DIY obd1 conversion? (Bryant)

I was just wondering, thanks for the responses, and blown90 makes great harness's, i ordered one off him for my freind, and he got one.

I was just wondering though, cause I dont use it as daily or anything like that, its just a beater car(project), and i mean i am gonna have a lot of time to mess with it, probably wont be driving it all winter due to having no heater at all, no wipers, no wiper motor, etc, everything thats not needed in it is gutted. And instead of spending 150 or whatever, i can just go due a little at a time, and just hope i dont get some wires crossed, and be in trouble finding it, lol.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone DIY obd1 conversion? (HandCommand)

Not to jack this post.. but where do you buy pins for re-pinning?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Anyone DIY obd1 conversion? (d357r0y)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d357r0y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to jack this post.. but where do you buy pins for re-pinning?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I get them at work (dealer) or get them from an old harness.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the ECU clips fro the junkyard. so i cut em off with like 6 inches of wire coming off.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:41 PM

I just did my second OBD0-&gt;OBD1 conversion. The first (my car) I did by making a harness adapter.
The second I did by chopping off and replacing the ECU plugs. I think the later is the neater and more
sensible. I had to add a sub harness on both cars for ELD (EF8 don't have it), alternator output control
and heated O2 sensor wiring. You also have to change the distributor wiring on the engine loom.
Whilst I still have the possibility to go back to an OBD0 ECU on my car the changed distributor
wiring makes this unlikely - I wouldn't use another hardness for this. I also don't see any reason to
although in my case the car was quicker with the OBD0 ECU, at least at the moment.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:51 PM
xmd

honestly I'd buy the harness adapter... I am in the middle of my conversion and i cant get my **** to work. I've triple checked all of my wires yet it doesnt work. something is obviously wrong.

My distro fires etc but my injectors dont work at all...

So whats it worth to you? The posibility of once you **** up your harness you may never get it correct again.

If i had the money I'd get the conversion...

-x m d
Old 09-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone DIY obd1 conversion? (acongdon)

huge pain in the ***.

unless you have some major rewiring to do (like when you are gutting the car, and are taking out all the unessentials, like heater controls, radio, taillights, headlights, etc..) it not worth it...

but if you do, just be sure to label each and every wire.