Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Rotten egg smell, cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 12:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotten egg smell, cranks but no start

I'm a noob to the home mechanic/car guy world. I've never had to work on my own cars but my new to me 1999 CR-V has been a learning experience and a pain in my ***.

I've dealt with a "Fuel too rich, bank 1" code since buying this car back in Feb.
Upon starting I would get idle surges and would stall if the engine didn't warm up long enough.

I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug cables, distributor, IAC valve, upstream O2 sensor, fuel filter, and air filter. I've purged the cooling system, and changed the oil and oil filter. The previous owner claims he replaced the cat right before I bought it and it did pass smog.

I still get the code and just two days ago I lost power while driving and was stuck for a while. I sat for about 10 minutes to try to figure out a plan when I tried starting her back up. She ran but also smelled like rotten eggs. I drove back home but it lost power twice and I finally had to just push it to my home. In all, I traveled maybe half a mile when this happened.

I noticed my coolant resevoir was very low so I suspect a leak. The radiator was full so I just topped off the resevoir. I checked the oil to see if it was milky but it was clean. I tried to start my car and it cranked but wouldn't start. If it could start I would've ran it and watched the coolant level and added as needed but I couldn't do that.

Of course, I looked up these issues and see that it can be a bad or clogged cat, a faulty fuel pressure sensor, a bad battery, or leaking transmission fluid.

My car ran fine on thursday and then this happened on friday morning. I plan to take it to a mechanic tomorrow but I just moved and had to furnish my place so money is tight. Any help is appreciated and I'm sure half my work was probably unecessary or unrelated to my issues but I am new to this. Everything I know about engines has been because of this car.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Rotten egg smell, cranks but no start

Originally Posted by Killmethekid
She ran but also smelled like rotten eggs.
Usually the rotten egg smell is due to an issue with the PCV system like a bad valve.