Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

ABS Code 14, intermittent left speed sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:43 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Code 14, intermittent left speed sensor issue

I've got a 2011 CRV. It needed a new steering rack. During the job I did something in which I damaged the left VSS. I replaced it and cleared code using the jumper wire and brake pedal/ignition key song and dance sequence. Original code was #13 for short/open/bad VSS on left side. I drive it this morning to work with no light for about 15 miles then it comes back on.

I use the same jumper wire sequence to read the code again and now it is a #14. Intermittent or electrical noise VSS code.

During the replacement the old sensor was so stuck inside the cavity I literally had to drill out the old sensor. Is it possible that any of this debris is on the axle where it reads, or a ding from the drill bit, that would cause the sensor to mis-read?

That would seem super picky of the system to be able to pick up on something on the axle that's maybe 1/16 inch wide over the entire diameter of the axle.

I'm being told the car should pass inspection with the VSS light on, no other engine codes and everything works fine. The steering rack job went well otherwise, it may need a pump sometime given old pumps and new racks make the old pump seem a little weak.

Other than using some compressed air to blow out the area, would I have to sand or clean up that end piece of the axle? Wouldn't take super long as I do have air tools I can use.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:15 PM
P2K
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ABS Code 14, intermittent left speed sensor issue

Hmmm.. Super picky system. I don't recall the axle having a Reluctor Ring on the end of it for the wheel speed sensor. So I'm pretty sure the Vehicle Speed Sensor is picking up the signal from the Wheel Bearing. So for it if you did have to drill out the old sensor, there is a possibility of debris causing the issue. But then again, not really sure badly you damaged the sensor or its harness.