Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trunk leaking on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk leaking on drivers side

So it rained last night and I go to open the trunk and notice that the inside is wet. I looked inside and the part where the trunk lid attaches is leaking from there. Is there a way to seal the trunk, i tried silicone but it did not hold completely, it is not as bad of a drip but it still drips. Ideas? I was wondering if there is like a black sealant that is good just because my car is black. I did find a post of the identical problem but they never said what they used to fix it.

Last edited by jumpin4abeat; 07-20-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Trunk leaking on drivers side

I hate to say it is the mystery leak and silicone does not fix it. Many will say of its the tails and it is not. You can try to use a lot of silicone on the drivers run channel but chances it will still leak. There is something with design of coupes that causes this leak and I have yet to find it in 7 years.

Many will say go into the trunk with a flashlight and have someone spray but for soome reason this leak is deceptive, you think it is the run channel and then try to seal it, but it from another place.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo..i have a 93 eg sedan trunk leaking problem too...when i bought the car it had some rust above the wheels i thought it was threw there so i took it to a body shop to put a metal sheet over the rust..that wasnt the problem...the leaking is mystirious
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a link to a page that i found.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/trunk-leak-gurus-step-inside-%2Apics%2A-2219902/

I found where the leak is coming from, when i lift up the rubber seal for the trunk where the weld is there is a tiny crack like the weld came undone. If you look at the picture it is right where the silicone is. I just really need to know what to do to fix this. I didnt know if there was an actual sealer that i can apply besides the silicone. I only siliconed the side and the water still is dripping because it flows down from the rear window bottom and travels to the side. Anyone know a sealer to use?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpin4abeat
Here is a link to a page that i found.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2219902

I found where the leak is coming from, when i lift up the rubber seal for the trunk where the weld is there is a tiny crack like the weld came undone. If you look at the picture it is right where the silicone is. I just really need to know what to do to fix this. I didnt know if there was an actual sealer that i can apply besides the silicone. I only siliconed the side and the water still is dripping because it flows down from the rear window bottom and travels to the side. Anyone know a sealer to use?
I have tried to fix it still leaks, I have the same problem I put silicone all over it under the rubber seal everywhere still leaks.

They sell seam sealer from 3M look it up on the web. It is like a caulk you need to spread it and it paintable.

If it works for you let me know.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was looking online and came across this jw weld sealant. It says that is hardens to be solid enough to drill through. I am going to give it a try tomorrow. I figure it might work because it basically is a weld that seperated, who knows
Originally Posted by motegicivic
I have tried to fix it still leaks, I have the same problem I put silicone all over it under the rubber seal everywhere still leaks.

If it works for you let me know.