Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 del sol wiring into a 97 del sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 del sol wiring into a 97 del sol

Hey guys I need some help with a project I got. I have a very rusty Wisconsin 95 Honda del sol. I picked up a 97 del sol shell. Now the kids that I bought it from did a very crazy mount system for a k swap like home made mounts that I had to angle grind off and fix. And they made holes in the fire wall and hacked the crap out of the wiring in the car. Mind you this car is rust free and mine is junk. My 95 runs and drives but the rust took hold of it.

Im not going to deal with the wire due to wire taps all over cut wires with black tape. It’s such a mess it wants me to cry. Lol.

The big question is can I take everything out of my 95 del sol ie wire harness, cabin wire harness, as I see it just about everything from the dash out. And put that into the 97.

Im full aware that the 97 is obd2 and the 95 is obd1. But if I take everything from the 95 del sol into the 97!it should work.

I also know that this is a lot of work full aware of that. I have a lot of time on my hands. Just wanted to know if it possible.

Side note i have another 95 that I’m working on and also doing a k swap in that. Super excited to get that rolling as well. That one is also rust free and no crazy mounts and wire cutting happened in that one. Plus if you guys want to see pictures of my overwhelming projects more than happy to post. Have a great day and hope to get some information on this.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95 del sol wiring into a 97 del sol

it should work if you move over EVERYTHING. some switches may need to be swapped out if you dont swap the whole dash, will need an obd adapter for the ECU like you said. just make sure to label everything

i wish you luck and will be following as im trying some wire swapping myself from mismatched models.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for checking out my thread.

If my thoughts are correct I’m going to take everything but the srs.

I think the srs is interchangeable to all the years.

Got it a good start.

Got everything out.

Sorry harness that got hacked up

This is the car I’m going to use. A 95 del sol s. And I’m going to use the dash and wiring and gauge cluster.

i think the door wires are the same but I’m not sure about the fuel pump wire harness.

I was was think about getting cruse control. Since I have the car torn apart and it would be a great time to get the pedals and wire harness for the cruse but have to think about it.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well got the green one just about there. I took out the dash and everything just working on the engine now. It looks like the plug for the rear taillights and the fuel pump harness looks like a match regardless of year. Here is some photos that I took. There is a brown wire tho that I will need to figure out what it is but looks plug and play.

So I took the old wire harness from the 97 and plugged it into the 95. And it looks like all the colors match.

Just cross referencing

Close up. My thumb is on that brown wire and I don’t think that it’s on my 95 wire harness so I’ll have to figure out what that brown wire is. But it’s looking good.

I took a lot of photos of what the dash looks like underneath the dash. Like where all the bolts are for the bash bars and what ever else. But very easy to do. Just taking my time with it and it should go together smoothly. Whatever else I find I will upload with pictures.

Doing all all of this still wants me to swap to a ls motor tho but the shift linkage alone is 200 bucks. So might just swap the d15 and blow that up while getting the parts together for the swap. Thanks for checking it out guys.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya ive taken apart my dash and reassembled it (mind you partly stripped out) if your considering putting in cruise control do it now while you've got it out i wish i would have thought of and considered this at that time. im sure you can pick up the parts pretty cheap, your not gonna want to do all that dash work again
Old 06-22-2020, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nateasham
ya ive taken apart my dash and reassembled it (mind you partly stripped out) if your considering putting in cruise control do it now while you've got it out i wish i would have thought of and considered this at that time. im sure you can pick up the parts pretty cheap, your not gonna want to do all that dash work again
im having a hard time sourcing the parts tho really I can come up with the ccu on eBay but trying to find all of the pig tails for the ccu and the clock spring is going to be a pain because I live in northern Wisconsin nd Honda parts are hard to find so I’ll have to buy from eBay but I need all the pigtails and the clockspring. But wiring looks really easy tho. Do you know if any parts from other cars can be used for this.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

parts from any 92-95 civic should be all the same to complete the cc install. from what i understand the whole system is self contained so as long as you get it all from one donor car you'll know it all works together. once my car is back on the road im gonna try and retro fit my 2000's cc system into the del sol. it operates differently but again i have the whole system so here's hoping it works.

this thread is VERY informative and this thread may be of some help too for doing custom switches in case you have an aftermarket wheel or are considering installing one.