Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring problem ( e-brake & check eng. lights reversed )

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem ( e-brake & check eng. lights reversed )

Started up my new motor the other day. Everything checked out good and we pull it back in the garage. My friend notices the ebrake light is on, but the ebrake isn't engaged. He pulls up on the ebrake and the check engine light comes on. My guess is that they got reversed somehow.

Where would I start to fix this?

Car: '95 DX Coupe. w/ B18C1
Old 04-16-2006, 11:35 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring problem (dinko)

Well the CEL comes from the ECU. Im not sure from the ebrake where the wiring goes. I would start buy finding out by looking at a pinout where the CEL wire comes out of the ECU and make sure its going to the right place.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 PM

Swap the pins on the ecu. I accidently wired my check engine light to my automatic drive light once, *shrug*
Old 04-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring problem (dinko)

top the fluid in the brake reservoir.

as far as the check engine, jump the connector and go from there.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't have the Helm in front of me but for some reason I didn't think that the e-brake runs to the ECU....

regardless of that Unless they did a cluster swap for you also be worried.
there is no reason to move those pins around on your ECU plugs when going from a P05/P06/P28 to a P72 ECU so they were obviously messing around with things they shouldn't have been while doing the swap.
the CEL signal comes from the ECU directly.
The e-brake signal is from the e-brake handle switch.
Since your e-brake/CEL is currently on I'm guessing your ECU is trying to tell you what the problem is. Again since it's a new swap be worried....
Old 04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

Okay well here is the thing. I bought this car a year ago. It had the swap in it already, but it didn't run because one of the rods were unhooked from the crank by the guy I bought the car off of. I took the motor out, rebuilt it, put it back in. No modifications to the wiring.

I don't know if the previous owners ever messed with the gauge cluster. I'm running a chipped P28.

Before we found out the lights were switched, we tried to check the CEL's but the check engine light just stayed on. Then I find out the check engine light isn't really the check engine light. I didn't have an O2 sensor installed when we started it up so I know theres at least one CEL. Hopefully there's no other ones.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:05 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring problem (Big Tymer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Tymer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">top the fluid in the brake reservoir.

as far as the check engine, jump the connector and go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>He wants to know how to switch the lights, they are crossed somewhere. Also, the E-Brake light has nothing to do with the brake fluid level. There is a seperate brake light for brake problems.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:22 PM

My ebrake light comes on when my fluid level gets low or when I take a hard turn.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SVOboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, the E-Brake light has nothing to do with the brake fluid level. There is a seperate brake light for brake problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>
afraid you are wrong there. Low brake fluid turns on the same light as the e-brake. With ABS there is a seperate light for problems with the ABS system, but low brake fluid in the reservoir is still indicated by the same "brake" light.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SVOboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My ebrake light comes on when my fluid level gets low or when I take a hard turn.</TD></TR></TABLE>
put some more fliud in there. You shouldn't be able to get it to fall down that far even when cornering.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:09 PM

Yeah, it needs a bit of fluid, it's halfway between the marks. Takes a ******* good corner to do it though,
Old 04-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dinko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dinko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay well here is the thing. I bought this car a year ago. It had the swap in it already, but it didn't run because one of the rods were unhooked from the crank by the guy I bought the car off of. I took the motor out, rebuilt it, put it back in. No modifications to the wiring.

I don't know if the previous owners ever messed with the gauge cluster. I'm running a chipped P28.

Before we found out the lights were switched, we tried to check the CEL's but the check engine light just stayed on. Then I find out the check engine light isn't really the check engine light. I didn't have an O2 sensor installed when we started it up so I know theres at least one CEL. Hopefully there's no other ones. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Now you have me worried for you... your car obviously has some wiring issues. Even if the CEL and brake light were switched the brake light would simply blink to indicate the CEL.
Both the brake light and the CEL light are the identical bulbs so to the ECU there is no difference.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SVOboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, it needs a bit of fluid, it's halfway between the marks. Takes a ******* good corner to do it though, </TD></TR></TABLE>
the question is... where is the fluid going to, to be low in the first place?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:16 PM

My dad was ******* around and took it off one night, and the paint on the BB under the MC is all fux0red, so I assume that's where.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SVOboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My dad was ******* around and took it off one night, and the paint on the BB under the MC is all fux0red, so I assume that's where.</TD></TR></TABLE>
wait... your dad messes with your brakes late at night? ummm......
Old 04-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I read the topic post, I thought to myself "wow, that's pretty funny", so if ur brake light's on, ur CEL's really on, what code is ur brake light throwing? :-P
Old 04-16-2006, 08:23 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
afraid you are wrong there. Low brake fluid turns on the same light as the e-brake. With ABS there is a seperate light for problems with the ABS system, but low brake fluid in the reservoir is still indicated by the same "brake" light.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prly right lol my truck has two seperate lights, never had my brake light come on other than the ebrake.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turner7205)

Would not having any seatbelts installed in the car yet cause my SRS light to come on? something is definitely fucked up. i'm a n00b when it comes to wiring.

the car used to have an aftermarket sunroof but i took it out. the gauge cluster has been messed with and taken out by previous owner. the gauge bezel is painted and the whole thing is kinda rigged on. i'm gonna try to pull that off and start from there.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dinko)

back from the dead; fixed the problem

i guess when the geniuses before me wired up the gauge cluster with the tach on it they swapped two wires. one wire was green/orange and the other wire was green/red. they look pretty close so i understand how they got confused. but i swapped the wires back and soldered all the wires that were just twisted together.