Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

map sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default map sensor problems

well when i got the car the guy told me it was throwing code 3. map sensor...just to make sure i checked it myself, my friend had a new map sensor laying around and said i could have it...put it on the car...disconnected the negative for about 5min and hooked it back and started it up and its still throwing the code...then we tried the one from his car that isnt throwing any codes and it still didnt work...is there something i might be mising?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 AM

What car(year and model) and which engine would help.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (Endo-land)

dammit i always forget that

93 vx hatch w/ d16z6 about 98K miles on the motor and 118k on the body
Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (samurai_x6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samurai_x6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well when i got the car the guy told me it was throwing code 3. map sensor...just to make sure i checked it myself, my friend had a new map sensor laying around and said i could have it...put it on the car...disconnected the negative for about 5min and hooked it back and started it up and its still throwing the code...then we tried the one from his car that isnt throwing any codes and it still didnt work...is there something i might be mising?</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you sure it is a code 3 and not 5. they are both map sensor codes, but the code 3 is for the sensor itself and the 5 is for vacuum leak.

also, i know you mentioned it on the first attempt, but did you disconnect the battery on the second attempt?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samurai_x6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dammit i always forget that

93 vx hatch w/ d16z6 about 98K miles on the motor and 118k on the body</TD></TR></TABLE>

is the map sensor the right one? what application is the new map sensor from?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: (bmoua)

i did the paper clip thing and it blinked 3 short times

i did disconnect the battery first for about 5min after putting in the new sensor

im not sure what its from, my friend got it from his friend who worked at the honda dealership and it looked exactly like the one from a d series. could be from a d15? is there a way to check?

thanks for the quick responses guys
Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samurai_x6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did the paper clip thing and it blinked 3 short times

i did disconnect the battery first for about 5min after putting in the new sensor

im not sure what its from, my friend got it from his friend who worked at the honda dealership and it looked exactly like the one from a d series. could be from a d15? is there a way to check?

thanks for the quick responses guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes you can test it, but you will need a voltage meter. when reading the sensor, the voltage should read between .6v - 2.7v. with a running load it should read about 2.5-2.75v and no load about 1v.

you have a 93, your map should be on the firewall. are you using the same map?
not the map for the throttle body right?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: (philosofy1)

im using the one on the TB, that is a map sensor isnt it? whats the one on the firewall look like?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:14 PM

The correct wiring on this would be firewall map sensor plug to the throttle body sensor(firewall sensor can be removed). I had the same deal. You can just tape back the engine harness map plug. If you want pics search 2 map sensors.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:24 PM

im kinda lost? i should have a firewall but not a tb? or both? or just one? how can i fix it?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Basically the wire that is from the ecu in your car plugs into a map sensor that is mounted on your firewall.
However your engine has a throttlebody with a sensor mounted to it.
Just take the firewall wire.
Plug it into the throttlebody map sensor.
Remove the non used sensor from firewall.
Tape back the unused plug from the engine harnes for a clean look.
Should be rockin in seconds.GL.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM

alrighty then BRB
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM

You also may want to remove the 7.5 amp fuse for 10seconds from the engine bay fuse box to reset ecu codes.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Endo-land &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You also may want to remove the 7.5 amp fuse for 10seconds from the engine bay fuse box to reset ecu codes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he's disconnecting the battery (i hope) when he's doing this, the fuse is unnecessary. his problem goes deeper. OP, have you looked into your hoses? you just might have a small enough leak that the ecu thinks the map is bad.

disconnecting the battery also clears ecu codes as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 PM

i have 3 map sensors people have donated to me for the cause and is it possible they are all bad? lol
Old 09-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samurai_x6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have 3 map sensors people have donated to me for the cause and is it possible they are all bad? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, i highly doubt all 3 sensors are bad. either, there is a small leak to where the ecu thinks the map is bad or there is a loose connection on the harness where the ecu is not seeing the map.

i'm beginning to think you have a electrical problem and not so much a map problem.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 PM

dammit im bad with wiring SOB

and yes im new to hondas but damn im not such a newb that i dont unplug the negative
Old 09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samurai_x6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dammit im bad with wiring SOB

and yes im new to hondas but damn im not such a newb that i dont unplug the negative</TD></TR></TABLE>

troubleshooting electrical problems can be a bitch, but rewarding when solved.

hate to be the barer of bad news, but that is the only logical thing i can think of, without me being there.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM

so whats the best way to fix this...trace the map sensor wires to the ecu, see if there are any breaks? and if so splice and rewire?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 PM

yea im having the same excalt problem i have a 00 si b16a2 and its a new map sensor ive tried a couple diffrent ones to b sure and computer keeps flashing code 3 i bet it is a vacuum leak but i dont know where to start to look kinda numb myself please help ???
Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samurai_x6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so whats the best way to fix this...trace the map sensor wires to the ecu, see if there are any breaks? and if so splice and rewire?</TD></TR></TABLE>

a voltage meter would make your job 10x easier. also, look for any hose that might have fallen off the I/M, or maybe dry rotted, cracked hoses. this will cause a vacuum leak as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:17 PM

on my b16a2 right beside the map on top of the thtle body theeres a metal line thats not hooked up i have no idea where that goes i plugged it up and it did nothing
Old 09-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicstoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicstoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my b16a2 right beside the map on top of the thtle body theeres a metal line thats not hooked up i have no idea where that goes i plugged it up and it did nothing</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldn't worry about it, i have it on my jdm b16a and it does nothing.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a voltage meter would make your job 10x easier. also, look for any hose that might have fallen off the I/M, or maybe dry rotted, cracked hoses. this will cause a vacuum leak as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

checked and all the lines seem brand new. what would i need to check with the voltage meter, like which wires?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samurai_x6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

checked and all the lines seem brand new. what would i need to check with the voltage meter, like which wires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you will have to place the leads of the voltage meter in the slots of that harness.

Quick Reply: map sensor problems