Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Manual swap into EG using EK parts car

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual swap into EG using EK parts car

Hi everybody.

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer...

I’m picking up a 94 coupe with an automatic for my girlfriend to drive while her Subaru is out of commission. Eventually, in a few months when her Subaru is fixed, I’d like to put a manual in the car to suit my needs more.

I’ve got a 5 speed from a d16y7 1999 civic that I was hoping to use.

But here’s my real question: what other parts specifically can I use from my 1999 civic parts car on my 1994 manual swap? Pedals? Plumbing? Whatever?

I checked the interchangeability thread but that thing is so bloated- I couldn’t find much.

Last edited by 1999AZhatch; 07-16-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Re: Manual swap into EG using EK parts car

I’m pretty sure the pedals, clutch line, and clutch master cylinder are interchangeable.

Your ECU from the newer one won’t work in the older car without a bunch of rewiring. Plus there will be EVAP codes and SHO2S codes. The EVAP codes can be fixed with a bypass module, but you’d need to run wires for the SHO2S.

The T-bracket that goes from the transmission bellhousing to the subframe is probably going to be different, too.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra
I’m pretty sure the pedals, clutch line, and clutch master cylinder are interchangeable.

Your ECU from the newer one won’t work in the older car without a bunch of rewiring. Plus there will be EVAP codes and SHO2S codes. The EVAP codes can be fixed with a bypass module, but you’d need to run wires for the SHO2S.

The T-bracket that goes from the transmission bellhousing to the subframe is probably going to be different, too.

thanks man.

so I should presume that getting a manual transmission ecu for a 94-95 would be the best way to go? Instead of using the auto ecu and trying to make it work. An ecu and some mounts are relatively cheap. Might want a new cluster too.

this is all good news!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999AZhatch

thanks man.

so I should presume that getting a manual transmission ecu for a 94-95 would be the best way to go? Instead of using the auto ecu and trying to make it work. An ecu and some mounts are relatively cheap. Might want a new cluster too.

this is all good news!
Above poster thinks you're putting in the whole engine, which you are not. Just the transmission. In which case you can convert the AT ECU to MT by removing a diode ... easy stuff, and plenty of posts on this. I believe the pedals are different, but you can reuse the MC and lines. You'll still need the AT to MT trans mount which you can buy online. Shift rods are probably the same. What else is there?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
Above poster thinks you're putting in the whole engine, which you are not. Just the transmission. In which case you can convert the AT ECU to MT by removing a diode ... easy stuff, and plenty of posts on this. I believe the pedals are different, but you can reuse the MC and lines. You'll still need the AT to MT trans mount which you can buy online. Shift rods are probably the same. What else is there?
I sure did think that. Yeah, those OBD1 ECU’s are a lot more hackable than the OBD2’s.

Also, it’s a good idea to replace the crankshaft rear seal while the engine is out.

Is the transmission to framerail mount the same on the auto and manual, or am I thinking B-series? Am I right about the T bracket?

I used Integra pedals in my EK without issues. Idk if they’re the same as the EG, but I’d think they’d work. The shifter boot might even fit.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! It’ll be a good long while before I do this, but I like to get my parts list far in advance.

thanks again!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eg at and mt t brackets are the same. shift linkages are the same for 92-00 civic. you will need an auto to manual transmission mount, there is a decent selection on fleabay. you can run the a/t ecu no problems, there will be a cel for lockup solenoid, because obviously it will no longer exist. doesn't affect how the car runs/drives. sounds like this is kind of a beater project, in which case you can use a grinder to trim some meat off of the a/t brake pedal in the car, which will save the hassle of swapping and sourcing a pedal set. the clutch pedal from the 99 will fit the older car as well.