Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust

I just went outside to check on my car and I noticed some black markings on my garage door that looked like they sprayed out of my exhaust.

Sure enough when I went inside the garage and looked behind the car, there was more of the same black markings.

I popped my hood and checked my oil and it was almost practically bone dry, only a lil spec showed up on my dip stick

Last night I was driving my car pretty hard racing some guy on a bridge so I'm hoping something didnt bust in my engine.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Car is a '95 sedan w/ ex motor,dc sports headers & greddy exhaust.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust (PrimeElement)

does your car burn oil ..any smoke coming out from exhaust or maybe any oil leak on the floor ? do u constantly check on your oil level?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It does burn a little oil but not alot, I check every two weeks. Last weekend I looked at it and it was fine.

I do occasionally get smoke coming out from the exhaust when i rev hard, I have no oil leaks, I check under my car religiously before going out driving and never saw anything.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 PM

it could be your piston rings... how many miles on the engine ?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might need a new pcv/pvc valve, forget which order of the letters haha. But my friends B18 was smoking like crazy and he got a new one for $5 and it pretty much fixed the oil burning situation. It should be somewhere around the oil filter, just take it off and shake it, if it has a rattle in it, it's still good and if it doesn't make a sound then go get a new one for $5. That reminds me I should check mine, I got through a liter of oil every 4-5 days
Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrimeElement &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just went outside to check on my car and I noticed some black markings on my garage door that looked like they sprayed out of my exhaust.

Sure enough when I went inside the garage and looked behind the car, there was more of the same black markings.

I popped my hood and checked my oil and it was almost practically bone dry, only a lil spec showed up on my dip stick

Last night I was driving my car pretty hard racing some guy on a bridge so I'm hoping something didnt bust in my engine.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Car is a '95 sedan w/ ex motor,dc sports headers & greddy exhaust. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't think oil will spit out of your exhaust. now, if there is like a black chalky powder, then i would say you are probably running rich.

now, if oil is really dripping from your exhaust, you most likely have a external leak that is traveling down the exhuast. if this is the case, spend some time looking in and under the engine bay. but you shouldn't be too worried, "race car engines" don't live too long , but you should already know this though.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust

No clue on the amount of miles on the engine. Speedometer reads 80k and checks through carfax but I bought the car with the swap already in it so who knows.

I checked my entire engine bay, not one spec of external oil leak to be found.

When I look inside of my exhaust pipe from the back its thinly coated with more of that black stuff, some of it is chalky, some of it liquidy.

I dont usually race my car often on the road. Its not a track car, I just race someone on the highways every now and again.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 PM

mine was doing that. i had chalky and oily black **** not runny more like bong resin in my exaust coated with chalky black ****! my head gasket was blown and my rings were worn! does your car let out any white smoke does the exaust smell like coolant burning? does exuast smell like fuel?is there black and white smoke? you should check the dumb things first that were stated above before you get parinoid about rings and head gaskets! my friend had a neon that was doing something similar to your car we replaced the pcv and hoses(they were cracked) did a tune up(cap rotor plugs and wires coil)now no more smoke at high rpms when he shifts!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrimeElement &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No clue on the amount of miles on the engine. Speedometer reads 80k and checks through carfax but I bought the car with the swap already in it so who knows.

I checked my entire engine bay, not one spec of external oil leak to be found.

When I look inside of my exhaust pipe from the back its thinly coated with more of that black stuff, some of it is chalky, some of it liquidy.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

usually the muffler builds up water, this is normal and is most noticable when you start the car first thing in the morning. this is why you might see the black chalk and some liquid.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrimeElement &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont usually race my car often on the road. Its not a track car, I just race someone on the highways every now and again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you being 22, you would think that you know better. it's kids like you that fly buy me when i have my kids in the car!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust (BUDtoker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUDtoker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine was doing that. i had chalky and oily black **** not runny more like bong resin in my exaust coated with chalky ****! my head gasket was blown and my rings were worn! does your car let out any white smoke does the exaust smell like coolant burning? is there black and white smoke? you should check the dumb thing first that were stated above before you get parinoid about rings and head gaskets!</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah thats what mine is kinda like.

Blown head gasket, sounds pretty serious. How much is it to fix if that's the problem?

No coolant odor, some white smoke tho, not excessive.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrimeElement &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah thats what mine is kinda like.

Blown head gasket, sounds pretty serious. How much is it to fix if that's the problem?

No coolant odor, some white smoke tho, not excessive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your headgasket is that bad,
1. your cars performance will be crappy. crappy enough that it'll be noticable when you drive along with the smoke.

2. if the performance of the motor hasn't changed, then do a oil change. you should see coolant mixed in the oil. or vice versa, you will see oil in the coolant.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 PM

if your rings are shot and your head gasket blown it will cost quite a bit if you take it to a mechanica probally around about 800 to 1500! if your head gasket is blown usually you can get a mechanic to do it for around 300 give or take a few bucks depending on where you live and who you take it to!but if your rings are shot i say just buy a new jdm engine and drop it in yourself! you didnt answer my ?'s does it lose coolant or oil? does it smoke,and if so what color(s) is the smoke?and what does the exust smell like?and is it running good still?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust (philosofy1)

1. your cars performance will be crappy. crappy enough that it'll be noticable when you drive along with the smoke.

2. if the performance of the motor hasn't changed, then do a oil change. you should see coolant mixed in the oil. or vice versa, you will see oil in the coolant.

this is not entirley true i had a bad head gasket and my car still ran awsome for months just had to add coolant befor i went anywhere! till it started getting worse then staring up was the pits! not all head gasket leaks put coolant in the crank! mine was only in the exaust never went in the oil! so you should check exuast and oil,if the oil is milky looking then bad head gasket if coolant is being burned into vapors and coming out of the exuast you will brobally be able to smell it when you start engine cold! also try warmin car up and let it sit for 5 min then start it back up and look for smoke!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust (BUDtoker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUDtoker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is not entirley true i had a bad head gasket and my car still ran awsome for months just had to add coolant befor i went anywhere! till it started getting worse then staring up was the pits! not all head gasket leaks put coolant in the crank! mine was only in the exaust never went in the oil! so you should check exuast and oil,if the oil is milky looking then bad head gasket if coolant is being burned into vapors and coming out of the exuast you will brobally be able to smell it when you start engine cold! also try warmin car up and let it sit for 5 min then start it back up and look for smoke!</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm...you just said what i said (basically). if the oil is milky, that's because the coolant is mixing with oil. this is why i mentioned he should do a oil change and/or coolant, just because it might leak into one side it doesn't mean it will leak to the other side.

and yes, you are right. if a headgasket is bad it doesn't always mean that performance will be lost, and can be lost gradually. in the OP's case, if he's that worried about oil loss, to the point it's leaking external, then performance is somthing that will be lost. if not now, then later, but it will happen.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

and of coarse there is the smoke factor, yes this is also key to a bad headgasket, noticed i mentioned it. ^^
Old 11-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust (philosofy1)

I feel no change in performance, still runs strong.

When I cold start my car, I see a little white smoke out of the exhaust, nothing excessive & doesnt have any real unusual odor from what I can smell.

I added a quart and half of oil earlier but I am due for an oil change in about another month. It was too low to be able to tell if it was milky or not.

It doesn't seem to have lost any coolant, only oil.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM

an aftermarket muffler can blow water and carbon crap on the back of the car and ground. bad rings will do the same. sounds like you have ring or piston damage. you have blow by and the burnt oil is going out the exhaust. do a lof and check your consumption daily. i would not just swap in a jdm motor. i did and the piston walls were badly pitted from sitting so long. i ended up with all the same problems you have after i boosted it. be prepared to spend some cash. i would rec. buying a block and building it will you drive your car.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Help, Oil markings coming out of exhaust (BOOSTEDFERIO)

you got sqrewed on your engine they are supposed to put a special anti corrosion oil in the motor. my jdm motor had no problems at all exept trying to get the right ecu for the job!