Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Frozen door or freaky locks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen door or freaky locks?

This is day two that my driver's door wouldn't open in the morning. I had some body work done over the last weekend. They took the interior panels off to pound out some dents. I picked the car up on Tuesday when it was raining like crazy.

It got really cold on Wednesday night – as in single digits (Wisconsin). I went out to my car, used the keyless, and the door wouldn't open. I put my key in, and it wouldn't unlock – it'd turn a bit, but not unlock. I'd try the keyless over and over again and it'd unlock then lock itself again. I had to open the passenger's side door and crawl in. A about 10 minutes later, when the car started to warm up, the locks started working and worked all day long.

Then, this morning, I had the exact same situation. Now they work again.

I can't even manually open the driver's door from the inside of the car, either. I use the unlock switch, and it unlock both doors, then relocks them.

Anyone ever have this problem? I figured some moisture must on on the inside of the door and is messin' with stuff. Any ideas?
Old 12-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Frozen door or freaky locks? (Sushiboy)

Take off the door panels and see what's up. I know in an EK there are a couple of rods (from the actuator to the actual rod that connects the thing you push in and out to lock it to the acutal lock) I had to connect to get keyless entry on a non-power lock car. I bet they messed around with that a little bit and did'nt test to make sure it would unlock.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:24 PM

I have the same problem with my EG....however, I've never had body work done on my car.

The key will only go half way into the lock, and it won't turn at all. The passenger is lock is not as bad though, its a bit stiff too, but I'm usually able to get in through the passenger side and crawl over and manually open the door.

I'm wondering if I should use some grease with a really low freezing temperature or something?