Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

evap code

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evap code

hey guys simple question hopefully simple answer.
I have a 1997 hatch with a b20 running an ls ecu I was driving last nit from school and my check engine light came on so I took it to my local AUTOZONE so they can check for me and its throwing a evap system code were should I start checking wats the most common thing that goes out??? and sorry if this is not the rit forum for this
Old 04-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: evap code (existanzcivicb20)

n e 1
Old 04-06-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: evap code (existanzcivicb20)

I would also like 2 no this
Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: evap code (princess24)

If its a code p1457

Check this stuff in this order. As soon as you find something that doesn't behave like it should, fix or replace it. Then hope it was the only thing wrong with the system...

Some background for the electrical troubleshooting:
All the solenoid valves have constant +12v supply from the main relay. When the ECM wants to energize a valve, it closes the ground side of it's circuit. If the +12v supply is broken, then the ECM can't energize the valve. If the wire to the ECM is shorted to ground, then the valve is energized even when the ECM doesn't want it to be.

Check Vacuum lines

EVAP Purge Control valve - between intake manifold & valve cover.
Valve should be normally closed, so it will hold vacuum when it's not energized. Ground is supplied by pin A6 of the ECM to open the valve. So jumper pin A6 to ground, turn on the ignition, and check again - this time it should NOT hold vacuum.

EVAP 2-way valve - underneath the car roughly under the left-rear seat.
It's a little can with 3 hose barbs & a solenoid valve attached to it. Leave the connection on top, disconnect both on the side, attach MityVac to lower one. Normally open, when the solenoid valve is energized, it should hold vacuum.

EVAP Vent Shut valve - attached to the charcoal canister underneath the car.
Normaly open - when ECM closes pin A4 to ground, it should hold vacuum.

EVAP Charcoal Canister - the big can under the car, about under the left-rear seat.
Leak test: Connect all the hoses together, plug the Vent Shut valve, connect the MityVac. Pump vacuum while watching the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. You can read FTP sensor voltage with a scan tool, or use a voltmeter between pins A29 & C18 at the ECM. Pump down to 1.5v & it should hold that vacuum for at least 20 seconds.

EVAP 2-way valve vacuum & pressure test.
If you get this far you'll want the manual for a good picture of how to connect the hoses. Keep pumping the vacuum pump & it should stabilize between 6 & 16 mm Hg of vacuum. Then pump pressure, it should stabilize at 8 mm Hg or more of pressure.

Then there's a test of the ORVR Vent Shut valve, which is located on top of the gas tank. You check vacuum & pressure at a couple hoses alongside the fuel filler pipe. If the valve is bad you drop the gas tank to replace it...

Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's P1456 be sure the gas cap is tight and that it isn't leaking. (especially if it isn't a Honda cap.)