Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problems

hey guys im new here and also want to find out the problems that i have been having with my 95 civic ej2(d15b7)
-i have had several problems with the car lately and will write everyhting out so we can find what is the problem. i have been to the machanic but they just keep jumping to conclusions and wat to replace everyhting and make me a pooor man.

-so about 2 weeks ago i was cleaning the engine bay and i pulled out the spark plug and most of you know how it feels when u full out something like this.

- yea its broken. Vitek spark plugs that cost me 125 bucks. : (
ok so i ddint have money yet so i just put it back in there and drove for aobut a week like that.
- is that bad? im preatty sure there was no spak and if there was it was just bounding out everywhere.
- so yesterday i got them replaced with soem crapp 44 doller duralast 7mm spark plug wires. installed them myself without chaning spark plugs and took me aobut 20 minutes.
they gave me soem greas to put on the spark plug wire and spark plug itsself so if i was to take it out later it wonr rip like the old ones.

- at the same time i had a different problem. 2 weeks before that i noticed my rims were black. why ? becasue my cv boots broke on both sides. i didnt know so i just kept driving. (bad ) so it wasnt untiil 2 days ago i was turing and i heard a huge noise. i went straight home and cheked it out. didnt know what was up so i took it to the machanics.
-take note i was driving with no boots for 2 weeks wich is bad since dirt and water probably come in and damaged the inside.
- i got my car back the same day and they installed everyhting new.
new wheal barrings, differentials and boots. total =270. everyhting was ok.
- the next day i was driving and when i made a hard turn the right side would make a nise again and it made a similar noise to the tiem before. .also like before i could feel somethign against eachother and almost bumping.
i went to the machanic to chek it out again and he said somethign is wrong with the suspension. the spring or shock.
- i didnt want to believe this at first but i read that the wheal barrings carry the weight of the car and since they broke and have been carring significantyl more weight for the part 2 weeks.
- so maybe something is wrong with it. ( didnt replace anyhting thouhg. . shop was full) ps what kind of suspension do u guys think is good and cheap. adjustable would be a GOOOD plus
- another thing i noticed was that when i accelerate its not smooth. when i punch it its goes like... accelerate, power loss, accererate, power loss , and then accelerate till redline.
note. this happens fairly fast but the power loss is there and u can feel it.
- why?
- is it becasue somethign might have had happneed with the spark plugs and they damaged something?

thats all for now and im sure this will be continued as i will let you know the process of my baby. ( thats making me broke)
Old 07-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: engine problems (Vitek)

sorry here is the pic of the boot

Old 07-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, first off get a freakin new mechanic, or learn to do the stuff youself.
from what i was reading sounded like your boot broke and the cv joint went bad. that has nothing to do with the bearing. if the bearing were bad there would be more like a humming noise. as for your lose of power. it's probably from the plugs.

and your suspension. there is probably nothing wrong with it. the mechanic is trying to milk you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vitek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry here is the pic of the boot

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, that's just a bad axle. should of not cost more than $150.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine problems (philosofy1)

125 dolla spark plugs???? god dam thats a lotta money. u sure u didnt get ripped off? u should get the bosh 8dollar plugs they come with a lifetime warantee. i used to have them on my eclipse. id pull up to kragen and in the parkin lot take them out of my car and stick them in the box and get a new set. id change them 1 or 2 a yr. at no charge. as long as u save the box n reciept. good luck tho!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Re: engine problems (manueliscool)

i think he is talking about the spark plugs wires
Old 07-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.

and your suspension. there is probably nothing wrong with it. the mechanic is trying to milk you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree
Old 07-15-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: engine problems (Lord Helmet)

If there was no spark in the one cylendar then you were pumping unburned gas into there. This does a lot of damage to cylendar rings and walls ond the way down to the oil, where it gets thinned out by the gas.

How did it run after you put the broken boot back in?

Do you notice any smoke when you experience this lack of power?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and your suspension. there is probably nothing wrong with it. the mechanic is trying to milk you.

yeah, that's just a bad axle. should of not cost more than $150.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that ammount of $ is a rip off for anything

NGK plugs with bosh wires and everything'll be fine power wise..

As for the suspension, it looks like u bought a civic that's been sitting wayyyyy too long and everything ****** dry rotted out...

I wouldn't worry about aftermarket suspension until you got the axle problems sorted out.... I woulda replaced the whole axle instead of just the boot...also, find another ******* mechanic....

Aight, might forgive me for asking this this way but it'll help us help you out... Asside from the power loss, CURRENTLY, what are the problems with the car...just like the things that are wrong as of now w/o the whole history of it..because the whole thing's a bit hard to follow..
Old 07-15-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: engine problems (Vtec4me)

well i didnt really notice a big difference i guess. car started up fine and ran well. i cant didnt really accelerate hard so i cant tell ya
Old 07-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get some $2/ea NGK v-powers

Def new plug wires... Paying $125 for some aftermarket wires with a pretty much stock ignition system isn't going to help you much so why waiste the money.

Go ahead and replace the fuelfilter in there. May as well... Hell they're only like $10 and that would be part of a basic tuneup.

Buy 2 cv-shafts (probaly ru you like $130 with your old ones).

This one is a valuble tool.... Get a Haynes or Helms manual for your car. It has basic trouble shooting stuff + gives you general help on fixing everything on your car.

Start buying tools. Most crap on a honda can be taken off with a 10/12/14/17/19/21mm wrench. Home mechanic get some Craftsmen tools form Sears, actully the NAPA Professional tools arn't that bad.

If you do get a aftermarket suspension just remember, you own a honda.... there's a shitload of choices... KYB, Tokico, Sunk2 , Suspension Techniques yada yada yada...Just stay away from ebay garbage.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: (TorturedSol)

actually the 125 $ spark plugs were on the car when i bought it. when i broke then i went to chek inorder to get teh same ones but i was shocked by the price myself.
- also .. that isnt the axel is it?
- crap im worried about the spark plug and the damage it could have made though.
- im goign to change my oil just to be safe soon after the noise will be fixed. the car is runing on mobile 1 full synthetic 5-30( i belive) itis going to turn to 3 thousand in 100 miles.

- are Bostch spark plug wires any good? becasue if they are i just might as well return the Duralast i bought and get those. would i need new spark plugs becasue i didint change them yet. but they llook in good shape to me.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Vitek)

I would change the plugs... get ur car in top condition in a tune up and u don't have to worry about crap goin later down the line..

teh spark plug didn't 'cause any damage - dont' worry about that

buy regular NGK spark plugs they're like 4 bucks a plug or something like that... $125 plugs or wires is rediculous, I'm tellin ya, a set of 50 dollar bosch lifetime warranty plug wires will definately do the trick..

What are you hearing noise wise of now?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine problems (manueliscool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by manueliscool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">125 dolla spark plugs???? god dam thats a lotta money. u sure u didnt get ripped off? u should get the bosh 8dollar plugs they come with a lifetime warantee. i used to have them on my eclipse. id pull up to kragen and in the parkin lot take them out of my car and stick them in the box and get a new set. id change them 1 or 2 a yr. at no charge. as long as u save the box n reciept. good luck tho!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't get the bosch spark plugs or plug wires. Even on europen cars where bosch was oem we use NGK replacements because bosch sucks. Just get the NGK plugs and wires.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vitek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
- also .. that isnt the axel is it?
- crap im worried about the spark plug and the damage it could have made though.
- im goign to change my oil just to be safe soon after the noise will be fixed. the car is runing on mobile 1 full synthetic 5-30( i belive) itis going to turn to 3 thousand in 100 miles.

- are Bostch spark plug wires any good? becasue if they are i just might as well return the Duralast i bought and get those. would i need new spark plugs becasue i didint change them yet. but they llook in good shape to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) yes, the CV shaft is the "axle". You need new ones. That's the first issue you're having.

2.) when you go back to the parts store, get a cap, a rotor and a new set of NGK spark plugs because if you were having spark issues in cylinder 1, that plug is probably fouled beyond use. The Duralast plug wires are fine, but Bosch are better if you feel like wasting time and money on something you won't notice at all.

3.) your car is an economy car and does not require Mobil1 anything. Yes, it's great oil but your car does not need it nor will it benefit from it, especially if you're changing it every 3000 miles. If you were driving a Ferrari or an HPDE Corvette, changing Mobil1 every 3000 miles would be great. Since you're driving a piece of **** low-model Civic, it's just a massive waste of money. You could drive on that oil for - no **** - 15,000 miles without changing it, topping it off when needed, and never notice a goddamned lick of difference.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

people are crazy.
i bet this guys uses nothing but super.
seriously man, get comfortable and read up about your car.....125 bucks for sparkplug wires is crazy in itself.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rnt the msd wires better than the bosh 1ns
Old 07-16-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: engine problems (leroyb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leroyb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rnt the msd wires better than the bosh 1ns</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you that god damned lazy you can't type out complete words?

anywho, just buy the cheapest of the cheap - remanu. axle from autozone, plugs, wires

done.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine problems (axtran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by axtran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another thing i noticed was that when i accelerate its not smooth. when i punch it its goes like... accelerate, power loss, accererate, power loss , and then accelerate till redline.
note. this happens fairly fast but the power loss is there and u can feel it.
- why?: </TD></TR></TABLE>

My 97 ex has this same problem and I just got the free service from the dealership, plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor. But my engine still does this. Did this when I bought the damn thing. Only starts doing it after long periods of driving usually.... any ideas?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) yes, the CV shaft is the "axle". You need new ones. That's the first issue you're having.

2.) when you go back to the parts store, get a cap, a rotor and a new set of NGK spark plugs because if you were having spark issues in cylinder 1, that plug is probably fouled beyond use. The Duralast plug wires are fine, but Bosch are better if you feel like wasting time and money on something you won't notice at all.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

im thinking it might be the wheal barrings then. liek i said before i went to the shop before and they replaced what looks to me like new differentials, cv joints, cv boots and the "axel"
- what do u mean get a cap and a rotar. what is this and what is it for?
thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 PM

You have to get your fuel system cleaned out when I first got my Honda it did that but the thing is you have to treat your car how ever you want it to run. I admit the fuel system service is not as cheap as you'd hope but it's well worth it.... and the spark plug thing.. if you look under the hood of your car on the hood it should tell you what spark plugs to use, I use NGK and they perform nice because I don't have cheap wires or plugs so it helps
Old 07-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Re: (GraphiCs)

car is still stuttering in the low rpm's and pst that it runs good. but i am worried about the car not having any internal problems seeing that you guys said the fuel was not burned. tommorow i will change the oil. anyhting i should look into doing?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:06 PM

so day i go to get oil because i was going to change it today and i also got spark plugs. v-power NGK. i had to make a special order so they will be coming tommorow.
when i was drving and hit it when engiune was cold it doesnt studder. but within 2 minutes when it got warmer and i punched it it stuttered more then before. Alot more. i got home poped the hood. opened the oil cap and it smelled bad to. smelleed actually like a old ****. and then i pooped the spark plug wires out and it smelled liek alcohol.
- im pretty sure like someone said before i might have gas in the engine. since the spark was broken it was not burned.
- so this is what i am plaing to do. tommorow go to store get some crappy as oil just to replace the old one. so it wont expletive up my internals. then i will install spark plugs.
if the problem is not fixed i will be going to the machanic. and knowing machanics i wil be broke. . but oh well i want my baby to be fixed.

if all is good then i will put inthe new oil and filter.

all because of one stupid broken spark plug wire.. grrrrrr
Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check below
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bro, Ill give you the best piece of advice.

1. get rid of you mechanic.
2. search around for a Honda mechanic or better yet ask someone here if they know of any or if maybe they could help you out. Because you are just going to keep wasting you money for nothing.

I would suggest telling us where you from and maybe someone could help you with the problem or direct you to a good mechanic.

So guys give him a hand if you are from his area. I wish I had someone to help me when times were bad. No need to make him waste his money on a stupid mechanic that takes advantage of people. He seems like good guy!

Dave

Quick Reply: engine problems