Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16z6 help - no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16z6 help - no start issue

Hey guys, so ever since I've had my z6 swap it's been nothing but problems. Right now it won't fire. I've gone threw the wire connections, checked all of my wiring, and it still won't fire.

Now for a background on the set up:
It's a 96 civic coupe, originally a y8 auto converted to a z6 manual. The y8 had a bent exhaust valve from the original owner and I had a z6 in my garage with a manual transmission from another guy that just was parting out his car. A friend helped me with the swap and I followed a thread on here for the full mani swap wiring to an obd1 set up.

I'm running the y8 injectors and alternator but the z6 dizzy with a jumper harness. At first it wasn't running right and I found a small pin whole on the line from the i/m to the fuel pressure regulator. Fixed that, then thought that the tps was bad, well I had a b16 tb just laying around from another build that my friend told me to try for temporary. I didn't have a gasket so my friend used some rtv (not my idea) and it ran fine, a little warmer than normal, but it ran.

Now I drove it to work and after replacing the plugs it was bogging under load at operating temp (every time I let out the clutch it would bog and die no matter how much gas I gave it). So after struggling with it to get to where I was going, limping it along this way, I parked it and came out the next day to it not even firing. It turns over fine. Just won't fire.

So I just pulled the plugs and the plug on the dizzy side still looks new, barely wet from what I could tell, and the others had some residue, but not enough to be fouled from what I could tell. Now I have the z6 tb and a new gasket. But I don't understand what's going on. Also it's running on a chipped p06 from skunk 2. Originally off a del sol that was running a z6 for about 2 years. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And let me know if u need to know anymore. I did do a compression test when I got the engine and it was all in spec.

Last edited by <ivi>si; 03-26-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR! Making this post into legible English. Also title clarification.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16z6 help

Sorry for the novel, just figured I would give as much detail and background as I could. Also I'm using ngk plugs if that helps at all. Also the pump is fresh, the filter is new, and the timing belt was replaced just before I put the engine in with a gates belt. I have also been dealing with an issue of have hard starts, but before once it started it ran fine till now. And when it is bogging it's acting like if you just kill the ignition. When I get off work I will be pulling the dizzy cap off to check the screw, but the spark plug thing is throwing me for a loop.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use more paragraphs on that novel....
Lot of people (including myself) dont read huge nuggety fuster clucks like this one.
Edit it and space it apart...more people will read.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

OP, there is a section of the FAQs to diagnose no-start issues. I suggest you 'start' there.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16z6 help - no start issue

Check the camshaft sensor or Crankshaft sensor If not that This sounds stupid but Cadillac converter maybe plug Did it bog down when giving gas and Ran fine at idle if so it is if cat is plugged it won't let air flow, and won't sart
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Huge thanks to the moderator that took their time on my post. I actually thought maybe it to be the cat, because before I parked it the shifter became warm to the touch at the base. But that wouldn't really explain the one spark plug being almost untouched.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why I said the cat is because 96 Hondas are obd 2 the cat is plugged it will tell the ecu run Lenin or rich My buddy had a truck that did the same thing and we thought it was all kinds of sensors and it was the cat plug we cut it off and it ran fine it looked like his plugs We're not getting fuel Either
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I took apart the cat with no change. Then I thought maybe I would pull off my cap from the dizzy to check that and all of my pick up points were corroded, so I cleaned them off just to see if there would be any change, and now it fires, but still won't run. I replaced the cap and rotor when I put the engine in about a month ago, so what would cause this? I'm thinking maybe a bad ground? By the way thank you guys again for the help. I realize there are other threads that have had this info on not starting, but that isn't the only problem. The bog under load and hard starts are also problems that I am trying to address.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check spark plug gap Spark plug Fouled Fuel injection system faulty Fuel filter clogged Incorrect ignition timing Intake manifold air leak Faulty coil and Ignition system Ground Cables These are troubleshooting on d16z6 92-95 Idk if this will help
Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Bad grounds? Check and clean them all in the engine bay.