Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A serious discussion on car theft and security measures((Long, please participate))

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A serious discussion on car theft and security measures((Long, please participate))

In the past few weeks alone, I personally know about 4 people who have all gotten there cars stolen from them. All there sweat and hard work put to waste in a few minutes. Two of them stolen from the usual Mandalay Bay parking lot. And the other two less than 5 miles from my own home. Now I dont live in a rough area at all, pretty far from everything actually. It just gets a little nerve wracking knowing that car theft is so close to home. I know a few of you on here have had bad experiences with this. And I also know a few of you on here participate in this. And an even larger majority of people on here probably are using stolen goods and either do know, or dont know that they are.

I'm not here to bad mouth any of you guys on here. Cause hey, I've done my bad share of things in life also. Im just here to ask for some advice and also share some advice. Those who know the most about car jacking(either from first had, word of mouth, or even research) would be greatly appreciated in this thread topic for a few good reasons. First, you know the weaknesses in car security systems. Second, you would also know ways to prevent your own stuff from getting stolen. You may not care to chime in any info on here, but think about it. I've talked to car alarm installers who wont even give me tips on how to protect my car because they want to keep all there ideas to them selves.

What if your car got stolen? How would you handle it? Not all of us can install our own security systems or even understand how the hell they work. I'm here to ask for a basic understanding of car alarms. How starter kills work, battery back ups, proximity sensors, even manual fuel pump kill switches.

How does a thief get around the alarm once inside the vehicle? I assume by cutting first the horn wiring, and or disconnecting the negative battery cable. Once this happens how does your typical alarm respond? Does it reset back into passive or unarmed mode? Is started kill disabled once the negative battery cable has been disconnected? Would a battery back up alarm prevent this? And how? How do I protect my fuel pump kill switches?

Now I'm pretty sure there's no way to protect your car from a flat bed or some other tow truck. Or is there? Im sorry for such the long post, but it is a serious matter which deserves some serious thought and help. All ideas and comments welcome. But please to try to be positive with your feedback and save the negative flamming and comments for a PM or IM to me. Thanks

Drew
Old 11-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A serious discussion on car theft and security measures((Long, please participate)) (Tur*bLu)

Bump
Old 11-28-2003, 09:08 AM

I personally just watch where I park it. It is almost always within earshot so I can hear the alarm. A lot of the time it also has an autolock on it. And when I'm not real sure about things I pull fuses. Oh, and I have this.....

Old 11-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

NICE
Old 11-28-2003, 09:13 AM

Just make sure you have a firm grip and you don't fire too quick with that glock, they tend to explode otherwise
Old 11-28-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Re: (TorganFM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just make sure you have a firm grip and you don't fire too quick with that glock, they tend to explode otherwise </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, they tend to explode when people who don't know anything about them fire rounds that aren't fmj and plug the octagonal rifling that Glocks have.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tur*bLu)

when I went alarm shoppin, it became very clear to me that all of them pretty much did the same thing, with the exception of the few that had specialty features. All of them could be thieved the same way, some a little harder than others. The main point is if someone wants your car that bad, they are most likely gonna get it. The only ones that looked somewhat effective were the kinds that you take the wheel off and carry it with you. Also, there was the clifford alarm that has 3 back up batteries, so if you cut one, the 2nd will go off, and the so on.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally just watch where I park it. It is almost always within earshot so I can hear the alarm. A lot of the time it also has an autolock on it. And when I'm not real sure about things I pull fuses. Oh, and I have this.....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

owned
Old 11-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A serious discussion on car theft and security measures((Long, please participate)) (Tur*bLu)

So can anyone here answer any of the few basic questions. I mean we all know that if someone wants your car they'll get it. Im looking for responses which can help others and myself...

once again- How does a thief get around the alarm once inside the vehicle? I assume by cutting first the horn wiring, and or disconnecting the negative battery cable. Once this happens how does your typical alarm respond? Does it reset back into passive or unarmed mode? Is started kill disabled once the negative battery cable has been disconnected? Would a battery back up alarm prevent this? And how? How do I protect my fuel pump kill switches?

- does having the brain of your alarm installed elsewhere other than the dash help at all? These are simple questions. Im not looking to steal peoples ideas on how they protect there cars. I mean I know alot of paranoid people are on here thinking a car theif is gonna read this and know how to get around there own designs. But I'm only asking for basic answers.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (MissLady [DMV])

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MissLady [DMV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]when I went alarm shoppin, it became very clear to me that all of them pretty much did the same thing, with the exception of the few that had specialty features. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Avantguard 4 by Clifford. Not only is it loaded with everything imaginable, it has a wireless fuel cut off. No wires to trace to find out where the power is being cut. Also, most shops/installers wire starter kill in what is called "always off" which means the relay only kills power when the alarm is tripped. Once power is cut to the alarm or the brain is removed the relay lets power back through and the car can be started. If you ask they can wire it "always on" which means unless the alarm is hooked up and disarmed the car won't start. So if someone was to cut power to the alarm or remove the brain the car still won't start. The only downside to this is if your alarm malfunctions, or even the fuse blows for the alarm, your car isn't going to start.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally just watch where I park it. It is almost always within earshot so I can hear the alarm. A lot of the time it also has an autolock on it. And when I'm not real sure about things I pull fuses. Oh, and I have this.....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'd find the bastard and use the above tool...
Old 11-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thieves suck...

this is a great idea for a post.... my 99si was broken into while i was out to sea.. i had a clifford 900iq alarm (that is ear piercing loud) and i had my brain hidden in the AC drivers side vent... how they found it i dont know.. but my spoon cluster was stolen, my profec b, remote switch, turbo timer, hondata, 3 greddy .60 mil gauges,2 rf amps.1 digital cap and a JL 10.... and insted if leaving it at that the thieves ripped my dash almost inhalf..and didnt take the cdplayer or EQ..they just took a hammer to them...
and i live in a "nice part" of town...
any help on how to prevent this from happening again would be great!!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thieves suck... (k4ff1n3)

1. Get a Club
2. Get an Active Alarm
3. Remove ECU and Fuses if your leaving it for a long time
4. Backup battery for your alarm and hidden sirens
5. 2 way paging alarms are also nice
6. German Shepard in the passenger seat
7. If all that fails and you happen to see the theives trying to get in your car, use that glock idea.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thieves suck... (k4ff1n3)

In your situation I figure that since you were out to sea, the theif probably checked your car out parked in the same area and not moving for a few days or nights. He probably got in, disconnected the battery or cut the cables to the alarm horn. After that it was a free for all. I dont think I could have my car parked outside unattended for a long period of time.

Living in a nice part of town I have come to the conclusion does not matter. Think about it, you dont have nice things. So you go to where people live that have nice things. (quoted from some ghetto guy I met at a gas station who drove the most riced out civic ever, who also admited to me that he stole everything on the car) He also told me that the majority of cars he broke into didnt have alarms or had factory alarms. I also see this alot on our boards. Cars getting stolen with out any security measures. Owning a honda is like owning a X,ooo dollar Ferrari which can be stolen with a butter knife. Protect it like its your ferrari, most of us sure do think as highly of them, as if they were ferrari's...

drew
Old 11-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: thieves suck... (Tur*bLu)

move to a safer town.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Avantguard 4 by Clifford. Not only is it loaded with everything imaginable, it has a wireless fuel cut off. No wires to trace to find out where the power is being cut. Also, most shops/installers wire starter kill in what is called "always off" which means the relay only kills power when the alarm is tripped. Once power is cut to the alarm or the brain is removed the relay lets power back through and the car can be started. If you ask they can wire it "always on" which means unless the alarm is hooked up and disarmed the car won't start. So if someone was to cut power to the alarm or remove the brain the car still won't start. The only downside to this is if your alarm malfunctions, or even the fuse blows for the alarm, your car isn't going to start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, thats good info I think we got a winner folks.

I'm not so worried about my POS, but my boyfriends car has been broken into a couple of times, so we're looking to upgrade. Someone he knows has an alarm that shocks people when they touch the wheel, anyone know anything about that?

The last time someone broke into his car, they took the turbo timer, stereo and his college course catalog . I mean, come on now.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I hate to keep topics like this open because you can actually HELP thieves by posting replies to such questions.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: thieves suck... (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">move to a safer town.

</TD></TR></TABLE>in america there is no safe town even the rich folks get robbed
Old 11-28-2003, 10:47 AM

It also depends on the cal chambered. Usually only overloaded .40's explode the breach.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:21 AM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=683328 heres another good thread on alarms. usually most thieves pass up a car that has an alarm on it but like others have said if they want it bad enough they will do their best to get it.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can't deal with the fact that your car might get stolen then you might want to get a bike...but then you'd have to worry about that....so just walk....well then you have to worry about your jordans getting jacked off your feet so you might want to just stay home....but then your house might get broken into....hmmmm...maybe you need to go live in a cave.....

point is....

THERE ARE BAD AND EVIL People in this world.....if something other than a humans life means that much too you maybe you need to step back and take a look at your priorities....

yes it sucks to have your car stolen or broken into but that is life....life is harsh sometimes deal with it.....

this was not pointed at the poster but in general with all the stolen broken into posts!
Old 11-28-2003, 11:57 AM

I used to break into cars and steal ****. I never stole whole cars so i dont know much of what they consider.

I would look for stickers, good looking cars. Pretty much anything with aftermarket parts, including rims where considered to look at. Alarms do help ALOT!! you never know what kind they may have. I would have consider myself to be far from pro. On alrams the most important part is glass break sensors. The way thieves break windows is completely slient. You will NOT be able to hear this if you where more than 10 ft away and know the sound. Extra scirenes would help alot.

Take your face plate, have a clean install no wires showing, and watch your car is all i can think of...
Old 11-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Okay heres my rant. EVERYONE NEEDS ONE OF THESE:

<FONT SIZE="5">AUTOLOCK PRO</FONT>

I don't see why no one has this and it wasn't mentioned in this thread at all? It is the number one security device on the market right now, and provides 10x more theft protection than any mod on the market. It is solid steel, meaning its bullet proof, it is a cylinder lock, meaning impossible to pick, and it hooks around your clutch pedal...meaning a thief can't start the car (unless they hotwire) and they can't shift the gears (can't go anywhere). The only stolen cars with autolocks I hear about are either towed, or they were not installed properly and were shimmied off. And its only $60! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT???!?!?

Now, about alarms. IMO basic ones are completely worthless. There is a way to pop the hood of a Civic easily. They pop the hood, disconnect the battery cable and then go to work. They slim jim the door, rip the ignition cover off...and start the car. I'm not sure how they go about disabling the alarm, but I know that if they find the brain it is easily disabled. If you are going to do an alarm, do it right. Get a mercury switch so that it goes off if your hood is popped, hide the brain well in the dashboard so that they have to search for it, and have a backup battery for the siren so even if they disconnect the battery it still sounds. And remember to get a pager so that when your alarm sounds...YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR ALARM IS GOING OFF.

Club is a worthless theft deterrent, they cut your steering wheel, pull the club out and go away.

Kill switches are 2nd to autolock. Have as many as you can. Have at least 1 that cuts your ignition and one that cuts your fuel pump...you can even have 2 for each...like switches for your switches. Remember, a thief isnt going to tear apart your interior looking for switches if they can't start the car.

Pulling your ECU when you get out every night...a thief can't start your car if there is no ECU right? Chances are they won't have one on them so if they don't have a flatbed your car isnt going anywhere.

Of course, this all doesnt matter if the thief has a flatbed...how do you stop them then? THE BOOT

However, I doubt no one is going to go this far for their damn civic. I certainly won't.

And of course, there is the parking issue. Park your car in a garage, or a well lit area where theives think that they would be seen. The downside to parking in a popular area is that the theives will see your car in the first place, whereas if you parked it in a back corner somewhere they would be less likely to see it. Its a lose/lose situation.

About getting your car broken into, the only way I believe that you can sucessfully prevent getting your car broken into is removing the inner door locks. I would never do this for safety reasons, but some people are hardcore and will. Alarms help as a deterrent, but they can always pop your hood and disable it if they want your pioneer 9300. The best way to keep your car from getting broken into is to leave your interior COMPLETELY stock, and if you have a CD player, get one with a removable faceplate so that you can take it out whenever you leave. A CD player is worthless without a faceplate right?

And then, again we are going back to basics. If you don't want your car stolen...DON'T VISUALLY MOD IT! If there is something on/in your car that is of value, chance is a thief is going to try and steal it. Leave your interior and exterior as stock as possible, so that a thief will have to decide if they want to risk going to jail for a what appears to be a stock interior and a set of rotas.

Good luck everyone!

IMPORTANT INFO For 01+ Civics and 02+ RSX's...all of this is unnecessary. I've heard that they have one of THE BEST theft deterrent systems on the market. The ECU in the car and your key have a matching signal in them. Meaning, unless they have YOUR key, your car won't start or go anywhere...VERY good stuff
Old 11-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A serious discussion on car theft and security measures((Long, please participate)) (BauleyCivic

I have done this....
I chained my civic to a pole or tree, which ever is closer. I use a thick chain and go through the tow hook on my civic,...and of course if someone wants your car bad enough..they will do what ever it takes...so my chain technique is just to slow the down while I have enough time to grab my shotgun!!

Modified by HATCHingMN at 10:16 PM 11/28/2003
Old 11-28-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: A serious discussion on car theft and security measures((Long, please participate)) (BauleyCivic

2 Not get jacked her is what I ran, im not going to say any brands models
Cliffort Alarm with Blackjax's
Alarm with a Pager (YES U HAVE TO RUN 2 FUCKED ALARMS in the Bay area)
I have Low Jack
I have a Club Twin Hook
I have 2 Autolockers
I removed my Door Locks
I have a Fuel Kill Switch
And I have 6 KILL SWITCHS YES 6, all wired around the car under the rug and ****.
Hood LOCKS A MUST
Hidden Hood Pop Switch
4 Hood Sensor
Tilt Sensor For the Wheels
Wheel Locks
2 Low for the Tow Truck
But i want to get a Boot, my **** = SUPER HARD TO JACK!

Quick Reply: A serious discussion on car theft and security measures((Long, please participate))