Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help: Having Problems With Starter (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Having Problems With Starter (pics)

Today I get ready to go out so i start my car and leave it running for about 5 mins. I turn off the car to go inside my house to get something. I get back in the car and open the ignition and it doesnt start. it doesnt make a noise of anything is super silent. I check My battery but its new so it cant be that. I give the car a jump and it doesnt start. So i decide to push start it and finally the motor turns over.

When i get to my destination, an Acura dealership where my dad works, he checks the car and tells me it could be a bad ground. We are able to start the car by bridging a copper wire from the postive of the battery to the starter wire/cable (dont know what to call it)

What can it be besides a bad ground? and if it is a bad ground how do i locate it and replace it?
I also thought is could be a problem with my starter kill that my alarm has.

Any feedback will help!
thanx!

Pix:

Close up of starter jump:
Old 12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help: Having Problems With Starter (pics)

it make just be from your alarm, i had this problem before, but the guy who owned my car before installed it and did a shitty job. i would take it up to an alarm place and have them check it out, but then again, did you install the alarm yourself?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i had the alarm installed at a shop.
I'ma take it to the place tomorrow morning to get it checked out!

thanx for the in-put!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumppp
Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Help: Having Problems With Starter (pics)

Originally Posted by 305S0L
bumppp
Im having same problem...went through two alternators(1 junker)(2nd i just got tested and it tested fine)three batteries(all being drained) and new starter(perfect)...same problem still...the starter is new, the alternator is new and the battery is drained again after going to dealership today...any ideas? howd u fix urs?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so running the wire didn't make it crank over? it may be alarm related or it might be a ignition switch or clutch interlock switch.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[We are able to start the car by bridging a copper wire from the postive of the battery to the starter wire/cable ]

I am not convinced that bridging the + actually helped starting the car. Ground wire can be tricky when corroded- sometimes it works after playing with it and then it will not once it returns to its broken position.

Ground is your "negative" of the battery- goes on the body of the car. Then from the body(e.g. thick wire to power steering pump) onto the engine block.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D-Rey
Im having same problem...went through two alternators(1 junker)(2nd i just got tested and it tested fine)three batteries(all being drained) and new starter(perfect)...same problem still...the starter is new, the alternator is new and the battery is drained again after going to dealership today...any ideas? howd u fix urs?
You will need a simple voltometer to trouble-shoot...the battery should read 12+ Volts with the car off...have someone start the car and rev her up when you take the reading at the battery terminals again- it should register upwards of 14 Volts= your alternator is good and charging the battery.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it might be the ignition or relay. the place your bridging is the solenoid that engages the starter have some one turn the key and test the wire thats there what your doing is bypassing the ignition system check out this link hope it helps

http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pic...20circuit4.jpg