Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Check Engine Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Codes

Hoping for the best outcome here.

I recently acquired a Honda Civic 2001 EX Sedan from a coworker. It had 176,000 miles on the odometer. It then sat in her driveway under normal conditions for about a year. After that, she gave it to me, and I had a free car.

The only problem, the check engine light is on and it wasnt on when she first stored it in the driveway.

I just got it tested at AutoZone and the codes that came back are:

P0171 Bank 1 System Too Lean

P0133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1

P1457 Evaporative Emissions Control System Leakage EVAP Canister System

P0453 Evaporate Emmision System Pressure Sensor/Switch High Input

I need to get my car inspected and wondered, how much for repairs? Is it possible it just sat for that year, and it's just bad sensors and I just need new sensors? Can I just do the old disconnect battery trick and go through inspection and still pass?

My main goal is passing inspection
Old 02-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Codes

You probably do need to get an O2 sensor. I think its the one at the exhaust manifold (upstream of Cat). for the EVAP canister, you can drop it from the car and check it yourself for leaks. Also check the hoses around for old/cracking/leaks. I think the canister valve is normally closed, so if you blow or suck into it, it should hold pressure. if not, replace it. I have the same problem with the last code you have. I think i have a faulty fuel tank pressure sensor. Its $250 at autozone. so, i basically had the other codes fixed, and then just reset the ECU. Drive around 60miles so most of the codes can set. In texas you still pass if you have 1 code not ready. Thats how i've been passing. Shortly after I pass, my check engine light comes back on. Helps if you have an OBD2 reader that shows you when the sensors are ready.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Codes

If it sat for a year with old gas and you started her up, that could well be the problem. Either get the old gas out or get some fuel stabilizer in your tank, and give the car the old Italian tune-up. Later pull your negative battery cable and give it a half hour or so to clear the code, then reconnect and start her up anew. Had the same evap system code on a used Acura EL I got for my nephew. New gas cleared the code-- there is also a possibility your fuel tank cap is not properly screwed down. You can buy a code reader or an elm unit pretty cheap these days, its well worth it. I am also pretty sure that there is a way to get the codes without a reader, I am just not sure if the procedure is similar to that used on a 6th gen Civic. Good luck with it.