Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Clear over base vs Solid

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear over base vs Solid

My car is currently getting repainted. I dont know alot about paint but he has recommended that I use solid paint which apparently has the clear mixed with the solid or something like that instead of clear over base. he said they both have their disadvantages and advantages. Clearover base apparently may protect better from scratches however solid will almost always buff out. Clear over base will show up more problems if body work is not spot on (paint is black). He says that he will probly do 3 coats of solid if he does solid. He also said you just have to wax the solid paint alot.

Im sure theres more disadvantages and advantages but I cant remember off the top of my head. Could the bodywork experts give me their opinion on what paint I should go with and why?

thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear over base vs Solid (flipsta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flipsta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car is currently getting repainted. I dont know alot about paint but he has recommended that I use solid paint which apparently has the clear mixed with the solid or something like that instead of clear over base. he said they both have their disadvantages and advantages. Clearover base apparently may protect better from scratches however solid will almost always buff out. Clear over base will show up more problems if body work is not spot on (paint is black). He says that he will probly do 3 coats of solid if he does solid. He also said you just have to wax the solid paint alot.

Im sure theres more disadvantages and advantages but I cant remember off the top of my head. Could the bodywork experts give me their opinion on what paint I should go with and why?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

The solid paint is cheaper in cost.... but looks like ****.... plus ive never once heard of someone recomending to buff a solid( With clear in it already) I heard it comes out supershitty....
Use a seperate clear...... it can be buffed.... and will always look better....especially with black paint... you want it to look nice and deep.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 PM

ok cool any more opinions?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flipsta)

same as above....do clear over base. any surface scratches will buff rigth out like a solid but it will look 10x better, especially if you cut and polish it before buffing. We did a svt cobra and a toyota sienna today at work (detailing) and went through those 3 steps (cut, polish, buff) and they look amazing after you wax them and get the wax out ofall the cracks and around emblems. If you're looking to do any detailing work your self invest in a horse-hair brush, the bristles are soft enough not to scratch the paint but get left over compound out of hard to reach cracks.