Notices
Honda Accord 2018- Current This is the place to discuss all things Honda Accord related for the 2018- Current model year

2019 Hybrid Wheels Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Hybrid Wheels Question

Hi Honda People,

I am thinking of trading my aging V6 Accord on a new one. Really love the new generation's styling, features, how it drives, etc.

Moreover, I am thinking about a hybrid model this time (with the Touring trim level). As silly as this sounds, the deal clincher for me is whether or not I can put the 2.0T's touring wheels on it (the 20 inchers). When you custom configure the car on honda's website, the site will allow you to do this. I realize wheel design and size will adversely impact the hybrid's gas mileage ratings (but surely only a little bit?).

Can any of you tell me if this is possible? Can I order a hybrid touring with the 20" honda wheels?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2019 Hybrid Wheels Question

As far as I can tell, from the "Build Your Car" configurator at www.hondacars.com, you CAN configure optional 19" wheels for an Accord Hybrid, instead of the "Hybrid style" 17" wheels. But the choices of 19" wheels (not 20, but 19) are all fairly costly optional wheels, and not the same as the 19" wheels used on the 2.0T cars.

That said, a dealer might well be willing/able to make this swap. It would seemingly fit, given that other 19" wheels are shown as options....

The tires that come with the 17" Hybrid wheels are Michelin Energy Saver tires, at least on my 2018 Hybrid Touring. They are designed for low rolling resistance, but are not particularly great tires in terms of handling and other performance attributes. You might lose a bit of mpg, and the ride night be a bit stiffer, but I'd also expect some additional handling crispness.

Some buyers of non-hybrid cars with 19" wheels might actually prefer 17" wheels, just for the ride improvements, as well as less chance of rim damage in big potholes. For that reason, I think most dealers would be amenable to setting you up with the 19" wheels used on the 2.0T cars.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the reply. I was mistaken about the wheel size - I was referring to the 19 inch options that are available with the hybrid on the website configurator. The particular design I like - the 19 inch chrome alloy wheels for an extra $3010 - are also available when you configure a 2.0t - hence my confusion.

That said, I thought maybe the website was wrong in allowing options that aren’t really valid choices. I’ve never seen anyone option a hybrid this way, and the sales lady at my local Honda dealer wasn’t sure either. She was supposed to research it and get back to me but never did.

Frankly, the idea of it being an unpopular option due to cost doesn’t quite compute for me when you’re talking about the touring trim, which is nearly a luxury car at that point. That said, I concede that it is a rare car in the first place, and the hybrid is probably the rarest power train choice.

How do you like yours? I’ve not test driven one. I just like the idea of one. I just had a 1.5t with a CVT as a loaner car, and I was surprised by how adequate it was. And that’s saying a lot since I prefer performance oriented choices. Given that the hybrid has more power and the benefits of torquey electric motors for snappy off-the-line punch (or so I read), I’ve got high hopes I will like it. And the gas mileage would be amazing.

Chris
Old 12-13-2018, 06:18 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just came it to say, you can't always follow what the website said. I've config a car once on the website only to be told that it was not an option because of region. The dealership is "not allowed" to order it that way. BUt wait, I did enter my zip code.

On the flip said, there is a dealership that will sell brand new Hondas, lowered, and honor the new car warranty. Yes, we all know what the official word is. We don't need to debate that. The point is the dealership can do things that others normally can't, and also do things that others won't when they can.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Chris, on paper the Hybrid has a bit faster 0-60 time than the 1.5T, but the "feel" of it is different enough that you will want to drive one yourself. There is definitely adequate power, but the throttle-response is programmed to be a little more gradual than with most gas-only cars, I think to "encourage" better mileage, etc. But if you get into the pedal a bit, the car moves pretty well. And in Sport mode, the throttle response is a bit more aggressive.

The other thing is that much of the time, engine noise is only partly correlated to what your gas-pedal foot is doing. The engine is only mechanically-coupled to the wheels at speeds above 43 mph or so, and even then, if you mash the throttle the gas engine may uncouple temporarily to increase its electrical generator output. And below 43 mph, the gas engine is either off entirely (EV mode), or else is running, but is just generating electrical power, with engine revs unrelated to road speed. (That said, in Sport Mode", the engine is coupled to the wheels more of the time, making for a "more normal" driving experience.) And I'm not sure which trim levels have it, but the ANC (Automatic Noise Cancelling) in my Touring serves to mute engine noise quite a bit, so the "oddness" of the engine revving is
minimized.

In short, it's a different driving experience. Personally, I really enjoy "the difference", as I'm very interested and intrigued by the technology. But, as they say, "your mileage may vary"....

The mileage benefits of the hybrid over the 1.5T are also dependent on a couple of variables. The difference in pure highway driving is actually pretty modest, especially at faster highway speeds, like 75 mph. It is in city driving where the hybrid really has a significant advantage. I would also say that the hybrid's mpg suffers proportionally more in winter (in cold climates) than does the 1.5T's. All cars tend to get a bit lower gas mileage in the winter, for a variety of reasons (even if cold air is denser.....), but the hybrid is more affected, due (I think) to battery efficiency drops, as well as the fact that the gas engine needs to be running a higher percentage of the time, to provide cabin heat. Winter mpg, in a cold part of the country, is going to be more like the low 40's, and maybe even dip into the high 30's, depending on driving patters, etc. Still pretty darn good, but just something to be aware of....

My initial reaction, on my first test drive, was that the car was "very normal", other than the engine sometimes doing its own thing. But after owning it for a while, I got into the different modes (Eco, Normal, Sport, as well as EV-only), and even the use of the paddles for adjusting the level of regenerative braking during coasting. Which, for me, made it more fun, not less.....