Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Scary Noise....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary Noise....

I have a 1994 Honda Accord 5spd. It has been a great car over the years. It currently has 290,000 miles on it and it is scaring me at the moment. I really am not ready to replace it so any help is appreciated.

The problem: When you are driving about 74 mph in 5th gear if you let your foot off the gas but keep it in gear it makes a loud whining noise. It is greater than the noise it use to normally make when you let it engine break. If you drive it up to 74mph and put the clutch in than it doesn't make it but it will make this noise from any speed about 74mph until it drops below 74mph. I wasn't too concerned but now when the car has been driven for a while it will do it on upshifts as well. If I drag the shift a little bit to say 3000 rpms it will make the same noise for a second or so and then go away. It is not as severe but it is there and it wasn't before. The noise is coming from the front driver's side which makes me think not transmission but I have been wrong before with noise locations. I came home the other day when it was the worst and I was able to get it to do it briefly but when I went under the hood I couldn't get it to do anything remotely similar. I tried getting the noise to get it to make the noise by revving the engine under the hood but I couldn't get it to do it.

If anyone could be of help I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Jason
Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scary Noise....

did you check all your fluids and see if something is loose or rattling?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Belts tightened?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:25 PM

All belts are tightening, all fluids are full, I have had it up on a lift and had several eyes go over it and no one sees anything out of the ordinary.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM

bump...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know on some older trucks people have had to hold the shifter in 5th or else it would fall out of gear, but i doubt that's your problem lol. the clutch is still good on it? your best bet would be to try and upload some type of video with the sound you're talking about
Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM

Clutch has exhibited no other signs of failure or fatigue so I am guessing that is not the issue at the moment. I will try and get a video posted. Thanks.

Jason
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you talking about the whining kinda like going in reverse?

just guessing/wondering could it be the throw out bearing?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 AM

No it's much worse than the reverse whine. Usually when a throw out bearing goes it there is a difference at idle when the clutch is in or out. This can't be the throw out bearing because it only spins when the clutch is in and my problem is the worse in gear when the clutch is out.

Jason
Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how isd the color on the tranny fluid? may need a flush and new filter
Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 AM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still no description on the type of noise heard. Pinging? Tapping? Grinding? Whining? Rubbing? Knocking?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 AM

The fluid is fresh and clean. There is no filter for a 94 honda 5 spd. Please read. It's a vibration sorta like the noise a car makes when engine breaking only it's much much louder and definitely not normal. It almost sounds like a high revving motor cycle like sound only it is on decel. Does this help?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll be dead honest you got me on that one
Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 AM

It has me stumped as well...Any other suggestions? If you look under and around the car nothing seems out of place...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only other thing i could think of would be a exhaust problem of some sort. couldn't tell you how but like i said before i this one has me scratching my head. also do you have any engine mods or is it stock? also does it stop in neutral or just when the clutch is in even if you rev it up while at speeds?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 AM

go check your syncros...you said it only happen when it in gear....it could be your tranny syncros...that make the whinning noise..i guess..
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your timing off?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 AM

I have been thinking exhaust problem myself but I have had it into several exhaust shops and no one can find anything.

Timing is not off.

It isn't a synchro because it does it in all gears.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if you take it to a muffler shop the only inspect from the y-pipe back and do not look at the manifold which is possible that could be where it is from and why you notice it after 3k rpms. and since it has the heat shield on it if you have a stock one you would never notice it. just another thing to check
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your catalytic converter ... i had a similar problem ... well at least the symptoms sound pretty similar ... at first i thought the cover was loose but it turned out the cat was bad so i gutted it ... and the noise went away ... the noise was too embarrassing to put up with it lol ... it sounded like a moped ...
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 AM

Catalytic converter...that make sense. Was your car significantly louder with it gutted?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it doesn't seem louder to me ... the only issue i have is that it throws a CEL if i stay under 2.5k too long ... but i carry my obd2 scanner to erase it when and if it comes on ... it's annoying but i'm not about to buy an expensive factory cat converter or a hi-flo that may still throw a CEL
Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exhaust won't be the culperate; you'd notice knocking and pinging during acceleration if there were a hole or huge power loss if the cat collapsed. Plus when you're engine braking, the engine isn't producing force or exhaust.

Easy way to test for a hole is to get a white smokebomb and stuff it down the pipe the close off the end.

So long as the constriction the exhaust imposes on the engine causes even pressure on all the exhaust ports on the engine, and that pressure is consistent, and the pressure is properly timed with the power curve you're aiming for, you're golden.

:-/

If I had to gander a guess, I'd say the linkage between your flywheel and clutch or trans and plate was starting to loosen.

When the engine is going foward and force is on the whell, the linkage will be held in place; when you upshift/downshift, the linkage is held loose and it takes a moment for it to actuate again.

If it's spinning really fast and there's nothing to hold anything in place/you're reversing the force (instead of force going from engine to wheels, force is going from wheels to engine) then the linkage may not be held in place and will probably wobble around a lot especially if you're going fast and something isn't balanced properly.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 AM

Couple of things...When you engine brake your engine is producing force. That is the point. As long as it is running it is producing force. Same with exhaust, whether you are accelerating at 3k rpms or engine braking at 3k rpms you are producing the same amount of exhaust.

Second something in the transmission might be the culprit, I have suspected this all along but I can tell you that it is not the linkage between the clutch and the flywheel because there is no such thing. The only connection the clutch ever has to the flywheel is the clutch material to flywheel surface itself. There isn't anything else.

Jason
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds to me like there's 2 options...
tranny swap or just don't engine break and wait until something expensive goes and get a newer car lol