Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

MAP/MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAP/MAF Sensor

How do I get access to the MAP/MAF Sensor to clean it.
I have a 92 EX-R.

It doesn't look accessible like on my Integra.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: MAP/MAF Sensor

The MAP sensor on the 92 Accords is located inside the black control box that is mounted on the firewall. You have to disconnect the wire connectors, unbolt it from the firewall and open the control box to get at the sensor.

What seems to be your issue? Not very often that these sensors actually need to be cleaned out. Maybe the vacuum hose could use a spray but there isn't any actual air flow to these sensors.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
The MAP sensor on the 92 Accords is located inside the black control box that is mounted on the firewall. You have to disconnect the wire connectors, unbolt it from the firewall and open the control box to get at the sensor.

What seems to be your issue? Not very often that these sensors actually need to be cleaned out. Maybe the vacuum hose could use a spray but there isn't any actual air flow to these sensors.
Actually, I was just including it in my maintenance program considering I've done it on my other Hondas. When I cleaned the MAP sensor on my Integra it was a bit dirty and ran better.

Why do you say its unlikely they need to be cleaned out and that they don't recieve any air flow. Don't they need the air flow to work? I'm confused
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They require vacuum. That doesn't always mean that dirty air flows into the vacuum hose. I have had to clean the sensors that are mounted on top of the throttle body. When there is a build up of oil and carbon inside the TB it is a necessity. However, with the remote mounted MAP sensors I have not had to clean the sensor itself.

Never hurts to maintain the sensors, as long as you use sensor safe fluids, it's all good. I was just wondering if you were having some sort of engine issue.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
They require vacuum. That doesn't always mean that dirty air flows into the vacuum hose. I have had to clean the sensors that are mounted on top of the throttle body. When there is a build up of oil and carbon inside the TB it is a necessity. However, with the remote mounted MAP sensors I have not had to clean the sensor itself.

Never hurts to maintain the sensors, as long as you use sensor safe fluids, it's all good. I was just wondering if you were having some sort of engine issue.
Old thread... But worth a shot.. I've got a 92 accord that started having issues starting. It cranks and cranks but essentially won't turn over unless I hit the accelerator or it slowly starts to get enough air/fuel to turn over, however it simply won't get enough to turn over if it's too cold.. And on the flip side if it's warmer out I have less issues and only have to hit the accelerator a few times. Its fuel injected, so the fact that the pedal does anything kinda has me wondering about the throttle plate.. Air intake... Injectors.. Etc. Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the fast idle thermal valve is staying closed. It is attached to the intake manifold and is part of the idle control system. This particular valve should be wide open when the engine is cold. It is a mechanically operated valve based on engine coolant temperature, it is not controlled by the engine control unit (ECU). Therefore if it is staying closed, the engine will still be adding fuel based on cool engine coolant temperature signals. In turn this would make the engine run on the rich side. it will run like this until the ECU gets signals from the engine coolant temp sensor that the engine is warmed up. Then the ECU will start cutting back fuel.

I think there is a thread in the FAQ on how to clean and adjust it. That being said, a lot of the FAQ threads/links on H-T are really old. Most of them no longer have the images or the links are broken all together. Therefore you might have better luck over at CB7tuner.com.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no such thing as a "MAP/MAF sensor". They are two distinct components; have nothing to do with the other; operate in utterly different ways; are typically NOT found together; are NOT interchangeable.

The '92 Integra (all models) had/has a MAP sensor (37830-PR3-003)--it has no MAF sensor. This is typical for pretty much all Honda vehicles prior to 2003 model year.