Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

ABS Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ABS Error Code

The car is a 94 Accord EX. It shows an ABS error from time to time. It may come on when the car is restarted, then will disappear the next time it is started. The code is a 1 8 which is the high pressure system from what I can find. Since it does not do it every time, it makes it very hard to diagnose. Is there a fix for this?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:22 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: ABS Error Code

I get this same code on my '95 EX. FSM states that if it happens when its colder than normal that it is most likely fine.
It usually happens when it is very cold out. After the car fully heats up, if I turn off my engine and restart the ABS works fine and the light stays off.
I have also noticed that if I don't change my brake fluid annually the code will be more frequent.
Also I use DOT4 rather than DOT3 in my system, it has a higher viscosity limit, albeit that screws with the pressure valves when cold.
As long as the accumulator valve(beer can on the ABS unit) has not been messed with(still has sealant on the bolt) it is most likely fine.
If you have decent tires(400 treadwear or less) then you will rarely even get into the ABS. I've only gotten into ABS twice. Once on purpose to make sure it worked. Second time was when a muppet cut right in front of me on a dirt/gravel road.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I used to own my '97 Accord. I traced it down to the o'ring leaking on the abs accumulator. The o'ring cost $1.88. I had to remove the modulator assembly to replace since the attachment bolts are on the underside.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My "O" ring leaked and I replaced it a couple of years ago. Also the bleeder screw did as well. Far as I can tell, they are both OK now. I have a spare unit I pulled off a clean Acura CL some while back, but I hate to go through the effort of changing it if there is no real reason to do so. And I have never gotten into the ABS either. I use 215/40/17 fronts and 225/45/17 rears. They hold really well. FWIW. I have the same tire combo on my wife's BMW 325i and I have used the ABS on occasion. It is heavier, but still makes me wonder why.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Per the FSM
Originally Posted by FSM (19-65)
The ABS light may not come on in normal climate when it comes on in very cold climate.
I usually get the code popping up during the colder nights/early morning of if parked in an underground(cold AF) parking lot for an extended period.

As you've noted you don't get into the ABS, the CD Accords have pretty good suspension and grip for a stock family car. And running a tire that isn't a brick will also greatly improve grip and not allow slip.
Depending on which generation of 325i your wife has it can have a bit of a mongrel ABS at times, but again if the tires are bricks(higher than 400 treadwear) then it can be much easier to get the tires to lockup.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Depending on which generation of 325i your wife has it can have a bit of a mongrel ABS at times,
Yeah, an 03 E46. I have had a lot of problems with that car, most of them electrical. Interesting that some brands that the Honda people avoid are the "go to" brands for BMW. And the whole cooling system is plastic.