Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Local Grinds (GoLowDrew)

that pic makes me hungry.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Local Grinds (TRYLSTEG808)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TRYLSTEG808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that pic makes me hungry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

But I don't like ketchup on mine.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Local Grinds (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But I don't like ketchup on mine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. And I would prefer white rice too. I love fried rice, but I don't think it mix well with the gravy. Fried rice is fired with oil, so it won't absorb the gravy too well. And that's the point of the rice. To absorb all of it up.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i take mine with white rice and without ketchup as well. hahaha..im 6 days behind on this thread! hahah
Old 12-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (she_heLLa_fresh)

Fried rice and gravy is pretty good. More flavor.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Old Member

We can not talk about food and not talk about Spam.

If I got to eat "Junk Food," I have to make sure it's good. I don't want to eat junk for the sake of eating junk, if that make any sense.

Here's GLD's recipe of Spam Masubi.

- Spam: I prefer Low Salt Spam, just because it's low salt. It's still very salty. Of course the traditional Classic would be my second choice, because that's the way it always has been. I don't like the Spam Lite (less fat). Nothing wrong with that. IMO, it just don't taste right. Like many cooking rules, fat is what makes it taste good.

- Rice: I would only use Calrose rice (Hinode). The reason is that Calrose response better to water when cooking it. I tend to like to over cook the rice a bit to make sure it's sticky. Thai or Long Grain rice are good over a nice Chinese dinner, but not for Masubi or Sushi for that matter.

- Nori (seaweed): That really add to the experience, as many sushi experts will tell you. However, Nori is expensive. And comes in so many variations. However, Spam Masubi is not suppose to be "expensive," why spend the extra $$$. I'll save that $$$ for my sushi. Therefore, get what you want to spend and can find (for the mainland people).

- Additions: Some people like to add sesame seed or nori mix into the rice. I'm not really into that. It send to many taste signals. I like to taste only three things. Spam, Rice, and Seaweed.

- Cooking: I use a non stick pan to fry it a bit. I don't add oil because it'll make it too greasy. Plus the fat in the Spam and the non-stick surface is enough to do the job to give you a good texture. Maybe people who use Spam Lite may want to spay a thin layer? May not be necessary as the "burnt" surface sometimes add to it.

Putting it all together. Not much to say, just look at the picture above. I would add this. I like to wrap them up in clear plastic wrap, and let it sit for a while. Just like the store. Why? This will let the juices from the Spam soak into the rice (see pic above). It also help lock in the flavor of the Nori into the rice. For me, this is the hard part - to let it sit and wait. Cause I just want to start eating it. Ono Grind!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ LOL a writeup on how to make spam musubi
Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Old Member

At a Luau.

I read somewhere on the web in the past that the Department of Health have banned Kalua Pig cooked in the tradtional Hawaiian Imu oven due to health reasons for public consumption. Private gatherings are still ok. So the pig that you eat, the one they serve you actually comes from their kitchen. I can't find the link now. Any truth to that?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 AM

no idea. never heard of that. but damn... im hungry now.
as for the OP, i like my loco moco with white rice too but with the ketchup! woot.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Old Member

Lomi lomi salmon.

Real easy to make:

- salmon (cooked)
- salt
- tomatos
- white onion

advance: also add

- lime
- tabasco
- sugar
- pepper
- green onion

Served cold.

I do not like salmon. To me, salmon has a real strong fish smell and taste. However, I've been told real fresh salmon the Northwest or Alaska would not. So I don't know what "real" salmon taste like. Anyhow, I could only get my salmon in the supermarket. This is the only way I could enjoy salmon.

The key ingredent is the salt IMO. Many will use kosher salt or rock salt. Kosher salt for example are generally larger and coarse. They tend to cure meat better. In this case, fish. I think that's what removes the fish smell. And I would add sea salt for taste. So kosher salt to "clean it." And sea salt for taste.

If you don't care about salt. Regular table salt will do. Either case, this dish will be salty, so may not be the best for someone with health issues.

P.S. Tomatos tend to give off their juices, and your lomi lomi salmon may look like a bowl of soup. Some like that, but I perfer not to serve it that way. Therefore, after it's been in the fridge for a while, I will drain most of the juices. If it seems like I'm dumping flavor, that may be true. But that's just me.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-_- how about home made lau lau? i dont like the way they vaccum pack it in stores now
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Old Member

Default Re: Local Grinds (RoyBoy808)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RoyBoy808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-_- how about home made lau lau? i dont like the way they vaccum pack it in stores now </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lau Lau

Here is the history of Lau Lau. Back in the plantation days, when they first imported Chinese men to do the work on pineapple and sugarcaine fields, there was Mr. Lau. Slaves were illegal. They only import men, so there were no Chinese women. Mr. Lau wanted something that was closer to home, but does not know how to make it (no women). He recalled a Chinese dumpling with rice, pork, sausage, duck egg, etc wraped in a leaf, and steamed. It was great to take it to work, like a lunch bag. But there was no Chinese market to buy what he needed. So Mr. Lau took some pork (see kalua pork above), some chicken, add salt. Add some fish. And grab whatever leaf he could find. Taro or Ti leaf will do the job. And it was easy to get from the Hawaiian guy next door. To be healthy, Mr. Lau wanted to add some vegies too, such as spinach. One more problem, Mr. Lau did not have a kitchen. None of them did. But the Hawaiian guy had an Imu (oven in the ground - see above), so Mr. Lau toss it in the Imu to cook. When it was done, they all shared the food. Mr. Lau does not speak Hawaiian. The Hawaiian guy does not speak Chinese. When asked what Mr. Lau created, he could not respond. So the Hawaiian guy just call it "Lau Lau." That's all the Chinese the Hawaiian could say. The rest is history.

Ok, I just made all of the above up. There is no history on the orgin of Lau Lau. However, it will be hard to find holes in what I just said. So I'll let this stand.

Here is a real quick receip to make your own Lau Lau. It does not get much easier than this.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/L....aspx

However, I can not find Ti leaf or Taro leaf, or even Banana leaf where I live. So here is what I do:

- Kalua pork (see above & future post on the modern version of Kalua pork).
- One can of cooked Spinach.
- Place spinach and pork into a container together.
- Cover to hold in steam and flavor.
- Mircowave to heat.
- Served with white rice.

Notice: I did not mention about adding fish or chicken. I'm just picky about it. That's just me. IMO, these two would not work, unless it was done right.

LauLau served with Kalua Pork and Rice.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO that story actually sounds believe-able haha i neva had chicken laulau b4 only had da pork wit da butterfish, is da chicken one better?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Old Member

Default Re: Local Grinds (RoyBoy808)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RoyBoy808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LMAO that story actually sounds believe-able haha i neva had chicken laulau b4 only had da pork wit da butterfish, is da chicken one better?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I only like pork. I tasted chicken before. While it's still "good," I think there are better ways to eat chicken IMO. Meaning if I had to pay $8.00 for a laulau plate, I'll stay with pork, because I want to enjoy all of my $8.00 to da max.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Old Member

I need someone to do me a favor. W & M suppose to have the best burgers.

3104 Waialae Ave & 2nd Ave. Right by Chaminade University.

I've never been there. If you have, please offer a review. If you never been there. Try it out and let me know what you think. If it's good I'll be sure to stop by the next time I go back.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MEAN THE HAWAII GRINDS!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Old Member

Default Re: (In3g_Eg6)

Manapua

I won't fail you guys. Yes, you can make it too.

- Get a roll of Pillsbury dough at the supermarket.
- Order some char sui (roast pork) from a Chinese restaurant.
- Bake in oven or steam in a steamer.

Manapua is really not Hawaiian. It's Chinese. Manapua is Char Sui Bao. But this is one thing that you can find in a good Chinese restaurant anywhere. So no need to make your own.

For a bit of GLD's made up history. Hawaiians call it Manapua because that's what it looks like. Mana = power and Pua = flower. It's pretty big and filling so it has "power." And the red meat and round shape looks like a flower. A Chinese guy made it, and shared it with his Hawaiian friend. The rest is history.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Old Member

Kalua Pork - Modern version

On weekends, I don't have time to dig up my back yard to build an Imu oven in the ground. So I have to use the modern version to make Kalua Pork.

- Boston Butt roast
- Salt
- Banana leaves
- Liquid Smoke
- Put it all together in the oven and cook for a few hours
- Let it cool enough to touch, and shred by hand

Depend on the amount of fat in the meat, you may want to add some water so it won't dry out.

A little Liquid smoke to add flavor, and salt to taste. Banana leaves are hard to find for me, so I use a bed of cabbage instead. When the cabbage soak up the juices, I count that as the veggie for a balance meal.

The hardest thing for me to find is Boston Butt roast. To make Kalua Pork you have to find the right roast. Many times, supermarkets will use words like "roast" or "butt." Buying the wrong kind of meat will make you pork chop instead. Maybe it's my area. I find that to be the most challenging task in making Kalua Pork. If you are not sure, ask. Ask them if it's the same as "Boston Butt."

Since this pic is so good, I'll use it again.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Old Member

Zippy's Chili

If there is one place any visitor has to go to eat in Hawaii, that would be Zippy's. The menu item is nothing special, but it's the local flavor that make is unique. There are 22 restaurants in Hawaii, so there is no excuse not to try it.

Zippy's Chili represent 20% of all Zippy's sales. When Zippy's first opened in 1966, they sold 120lbs a day. Today, Zippy's sells 75 TONS a month. The above restaurant is were I used to go often, mostly because it's open 24hrs. A perfect place for the fourth meal on nights we stayed out late, during my younger days. Although I eat almost the same things every time, I never get tired of it.

I love Chili. There are many good chili out there. Many of them are good. I even make my own that I like. However, nothing compares to Zippy's. They are not the same when you go over it on rice. Only Zippy's chili taste right with rice.

You can try to re-create it by following knock-off recipe such as:
http://www.recipezaar.com/80639

Don't bother.

Some things we just can't get it to taste like Zippy's.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Damn I just got super hungry.... gonna go to Da Kitchen here in San Diego! Someone post a pic of the kalbi short ribs!! Yummy!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 AM

hamura saimin! kauai
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (senoj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by senoj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hamura saimin! kauai</TD></TR></TABLE>

The two ladies are my aunties

No joke.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Old Member

The Mother of all Local Food website.

http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2006/

Wothless without some pics, right?

This is enough to get me on the next flight to Honolulu just to eat.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmm 2 pork hash, 2 half-moon, 1 rice cake, 1 manapua and im GOOD TO GO!!!! lol

Quick Reply: Local Grinds (Food)