ZEX 59300 cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ZEX 59300 cam

Just got this thing in. Anyone else with this cam have to retard the distributor a good amount to get timing back in spec? And no, the timing belt is not off a tooth.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (Hybrid93Eg)

if you had to retard the timing then it is off a tooth or you got the wrong cam like the 96 and up zex cam. Other wise you should not have had to retard it. I did not have to. I adjusted the camgear and that is when I had to fix my timing.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (drintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you had to retard the timing then it is off a tooth or you got the wrong cam like the 96 and up zex cam. Other wise you should not have had to retard it. I did not have to. I adjusted the camgear and that is when I had to fix my timing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the dist all the way to the front and it STILL won't get in spec. Missing a little too. Its got to be off a tooth, but when I check it, its not. I can't figure this craptastic stuff out. Drives like *** too, clearly something wrong. The box was sealed, from Comp. Labeled "59300" and "D16Z6"... I'll tripple check it. I HAVE to be off a tooth.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm guessing maybe they sent you a y8 cam instead. Which cam gear you have? Z6 or y8?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i had this same problem.. cam was even stamped 59300.. it was not off a tooth. and just wouldnt adjust far enough to get the timing at 16 degrees.. i drilled out the feet on the dizzy a little so i can move it forward more. works fine.

and im uising a stock z6 cam gear and running a full z6 engine.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

Never heard that before, guess he can send it back and have them send him the right Cam, cause I would rediculously pissed with that ****. Do you have a cam gear? try adjusting the cam gear untill the timing is set and then work from there.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: (drintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Which cam gear you have? Z6 or y8?</TD></TR></TABLE>

little off topic but does a z6 cam gear different from a y8?..
Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (e she i)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e she i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">little off topic but does a z6 cam gear different from a y8?..</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes the keyways are different.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (SOHC_MShue)

Its GOT to be something with the cam. I removed the damn timing cover thinking maybe the balancer spun... negative. The belt is 100% posatively correct. I still can't get it where it needs to be... that leaves either the cam or the dist being messed up. The dist was all the way back before with the stock cam to get it to 16.... but now its all the way forward and STILL not in spec. It has a miss also and detonates like hell when you get into any kind of boost.

Verified 59300 on the end of the cam also... its the right one. And the gear cam from the engine, wasn't swapped. Its 100% a Z6 gear. I know the difference visually between the two.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its GOT to be something with the cam. I removed the damn timing cover thinking maybe the balancer spun... negative. The belt is 100% posatively correct. I still can't get it where it needs to be... that leaves either the cam or the dist being messed up. The dist was all the way back before with the stock cam to get it to 16.... but now its all the way forward and STILL not in spec. It has a miss also and detonates like hell when you get into any kind of boost.

Verified 59300 on the end of the cam also... its the right one. And the gear cam from the engine, wasn't swapped. Its 100% a Z6 gear. I know the difference visually between the two.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you even read my post? drill out the legs so you can get it to 16degrees. ive had mine like this for a year... 403whp
Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

did you even read my post? drill out the legs so you can get it to 16degrees. ive had mine like this for a year... 403whp </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I did. I just didn't think I should have to drill out the legs when other people seem to have no trouble. Seems rather strange. Oh well, I will drill them out and go for a ride. Hope this damn thing adds SOMETHING in terms or power over stock..
Old 11-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I did. I just didn't think I should have to drill out the legs when other people seem to have no trouble. Seems rather strange. Oh well, I will drill them out and go for a ride. Hope this damn thing adds SOMETHING in terms or power over stock.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i thought the same thing.. why me? everything on my car is always "why me?"
Old 11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea i thought the same thing.. why me? everything on my car is always "why me?"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. I just ripped out my hair trying to find out what I did wrong. It sucked ***. I thought I was a douche bag and couldn't figure out how to set timing. Still though, why is this cam jacked up for us and no one else? Reman dist? I know that sometimes the cps is off on those.. all I can think of. You have a reman dist? I don't think I do, but maybe I do.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (e she i)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e she i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

little off topic but does a z6 cam gear different from a y8?..</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i believe they have a different number of teeth as well (38 vs. 37, or something close to that)
Old 11-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, i believe they have a different number of teeth as well (38 vs. 37, or something close to that)</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm pretty sure they both have the same number of teeth. I know i compared mine once before i'm pretty sure. Also i compared a z6 vs. y8 timing belt and when i counted them they had the same teeth...unless i screwed up counting

As for the cam I think it still sounds like something is off. I'm not sure about the base ignition timing being thrown off because when i originally bought this cam a few years ago in my y8 head i had to adjust a lot anyways just because of the head, then in my z6 head i had to drill the dizzy holes out, advance it all the way, and do a global advance on the ignition maps to get proper base timing because i used a y8 dizzy on a z6 head.

One thing i know for sure though is that the difference between that cam and the stock cam was huge without any cam gear adjustment. I've swapped between the two to test. Something sounds messed up with your engine detonating and missing.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The dist was all the way back before with the stock cam to get it to 16.... but now its all the way forward and STILL not in spec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Something tells me something else is wrong - it definately didn't get delivered to the dealership with the dizzy all the way back to make 16*. Did someone shave .040 off the block and .080 off the head or something recently? Keep in mind a z6 pulley looks like a big stamped cookie, while a y8 gear is a 5-spoke design.

btw:

Old 11-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm pretty sure they both have the same number of teeth. I know i compared mine once before i'm pretty sure. Also i compared a z6 vs. y8 timing belt and when i counted them they had the same teeth...unless i screwed up counting

As for the cam I think it still sounds like something is off. I'm not sure about the base ignition timing being thrown off because when i originally bought this cam a few years ago in my y8 head i had to adjust a lot anyways just because of the head, then in my z6 head i had to drill the dizzy holes out, advance it all the way, and do a global advance on the ignition maps to get proper base timing because i used a y8 dizzy on a z6 head.

One thing i know for sure though is that the difference between that cam and the stock cam was huge without any cam gear adjustment. I've swapped between the two to test. Something sounds messed up with your engine detonating and missing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well yeah, something WAS messed up. Come on. Advance the whole ignition map by 10 degrees and then boost 10psi and tell me what happens on your car too!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Something tells me something else is wrong - it definately didn't get delivered to the dealership with the dizzy all the way back to make 16*. Did someone shave .040 off the block and .080 off the head or something recently? Keep in mind a z6 pulley looks like a big stamped cookie, while a y8 gear is a 5-spoke design.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know the difference between the cams and cam gears. No one shaved jack off the block or head. I am the only one who rebuilt it. People, listen. If you have an aftermarket dist thats been rebuilt it would only take a very slight misallignment of the cam position sensor to throw the timing off. Doesn't take much. I've seen it before. That would explain needing the dist almost all the way forward before. It doesn't matter now, I got the cam to 16 and its fine. Need to add more fuel down low and it should be good to go.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, I did. I just didn't think I should have to drill out the legs when other people seem to have no trouble. Seems rather strange. Oh well, I will drill them out and go for a ride. Hope this damn thing adds SOMETHING in terms or power over stock.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're not the only one having the trouble. I had the same problem with the Y8 version of the cam (105300 I think). I just used the adjustable cam gear to correct the issue. It threw me off like crazy I kept thinking I had the timing belt wrong, but I didn't.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (RyanEJ8)

I bought a 59300 back in 2002 and had to adjust the cam gear to get my timing back to 16. It put my timing at about 24*. I thought I was off a tooth, then I reinstalled the stock cam by ziptying the timing belt to the cam gear so there was no way for the timing belt to change. My timing was back at stock, so it appears that the cam is probably about 8 degrees off.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well yeah, something WAS messed up. Come on. Advance the whole ignition map by 10 degrees and then boost 10psi and tell me what happens on your car too! </TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but my maps are advanced more than 10* past stock and its fine. The dizzy throws everything out of sync since i'm running it on the wrong head, but with the advance in the maps it idles right at 16*. So basically the actual outputed timing on my engine is way less than what the map say. I've verified by setting the first few columns and all the rows to the same advanced timing value in the maps at idle and it holds 16* all the way throughout the rpm range while revving in neutral. As long as the outputed timing is where it needs to be then everything is fine
Old 11-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you switch to ODB-I at the same time. I had fully advace the dizzy to get in spec after i went from II -&gt; I.

I did not have any problems with the cam though. 105300 Y8 here.

platinum.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but my maps are advanced more than 10* past stock and its fine. The dizzy throws everything out of sync since i'm running it on the wrong head, but with the advance in the maps it idles right at 16*. So basically the actual outputed timing on my engine is way less than what the map say. I've verified by setting the first few columns and all the rows to the same advanced timing value in the maps at idle and it holds 16* all the way throughout the rpm range while revving in neutral. As long as the outputed timing is where it needs to be then everything is fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can set the maps to 16 and then advance the dist to 25 and it will still show "16 degrees" in the datalogging. Thats NOT what I am talking about. What I am saying is advancing the distributor like 15-20 degrees... As in the timing light flashes and your mark is way over here -&gt;.... almost at the 3 o clock position. Thats how far off it was. That is GOING to cause detonation.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX 59300 cam (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you switch to ODB-I at the same time. I had fully advace the dizzy to get in spec after i went from II -&gt; I.

I did not have any problems with the cam though. 105300 Y8 here.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As my handle should indicate, my car is a 93. It was already OBD-1, and no I didn't convert anything. If I did, I would have mentioned it.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can set the maps to 16 and then advance the dist to 25 and it will still show "16 degrees" in the datalogging. Thats NOT what I am talking about. What I am saying is advancing the distributor like 15-20 degrees... As in the timing light flashes and your mark is way over here -&gt;.... almost at the 3 o clock position. Thats how far off it was. That is GOING to cause detonation. </TD></TR></TABLE>
no i'm talking about verifying with a timing light. I've done it, it works, and there is no detonation. Set your dizzy to wherever you want...lets say you couldn't get enough timing with it fully advanced and your map at 16*. Say the most timing you could get was 10*. If you advance your timing in the maps a full 6* over what it originally was then your idle timing in the map will read 22*, but your actual timing WILL be 16* and you can verify that with a light. It doesn't matter what your maps say as long as the actual timing verified on the distributor is where you want it to be.

Quick Reply: ZEX 59300 cam