Notices

You're first experience, any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your first experience, any regrets? Tech ?'s inside.

Turbo newb here slowly piecing together my turbo kit.

So far.. Meutek mani, Turbonetics deltagate, Garret T04e 50 trim .63 Journal, Mishimoto intecooler
Still need: intercooler piping kit, bov, 550cc's, Hondata w/ boost, fuel pump. gauges, 3" DP. Alum 1/2 Radiator + slim fan,

Goals:
-keep full a/c p/s on a stock GSR in an EG2 chassis.
-budget of < $2K, already spent $700
- looking to make mid 200whp, semi DD...

1. Am I being realistic with my goals?
2. Can I get away with 440 dsm injectors?
3. Anything you can add about doing it right the first time? such as using T bolt clamps instead of cheapo clamps.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Your first experience, any regrets? Tech ?'s inside. (fishieman)

My first experience/regret... NOT GETTING TUNED.

My second - not getting a good enough clutch.

Get tuned. Take your time. Don't do ghetto things like couplers inside couplers and autozone fuel line for wastegate lines.

Take it from me

Also, my tuner doesn't like using DSM injectors. Just get a Precision or RC 440 or 550.

T-bolts are nice but aren't necessary. I had worm screw type clamps on 15psi on a T3t4 and I never blew a charge pipe.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was regretting the money spent UNTIL I put all the turbo equipment on and tuned it. After that I enjoyed many, many times I drove my car to work and home day after day... that is until I started messing with a boost controller and accidentally had a pinched line that boosted more than 30psi in 2nd and lost a little compression in cylinder 2. That was the fastest few seconds of my life.

Still don't regret it, but I do have another car to fall back on.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your first experience, any regrets? Tech ?'s inside. (technine)

I was really lucky with mine, I got a basemap and ran that for like 30k miles, it was great. I did spend a little on a good, basic kit, i bought the entire thing I think for 2k a couple of years ago. I'm still using about 70% of the original kit too.

Plan to spend more money than you think
Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing what i know now, i regret a lot about my first setup which is why i'm now on my 5th turbo setup. You seem to have a good, attainable goal with a reasonable budget. There's no reason you can't complete that. A few ways to save some money would be to get Crome rather than Hondata. I've run Crome on all my setups and i have no complaints. Also, if you're going to get a half length rad, go with a new/used OEM rad. They're generally cheaper and last just the same. I have a 1/2 in my GSR from a 99 Civic Si

A good resource for you would be http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM
rota92

Default Re: (Schister66)

To be honest, we can prepare you as much as possible with parts selection and the like.

But when it comes down to is, learning by doing and making your own mistakes is sadly the way we all learn haha I think I have all my bases covered, then I run into something. But the difference now is that I can get around it without a hitch.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 PM
B.
400 HP Club

Default Re: (rota92)

no regrets from me..
Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (B.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no regrets from me.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well arent you Mr. Special
Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um, only thing I can think of is not getting ARP headstuds. There only $130 and will give you peace of mind.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM
rota92

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no regrets from me.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If a shop builds your car I sure hope there aren't any problems or regrets lol
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
B.
400 HP Club

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well arent you Mr. Special </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If a shop builds your car I sure hope there aren't any problems or regrets lol</TD></TR></TABLE> not sure if that was meant to be a dig.. but the shop is my "friends" and I've had plenty of personal build hrs into this car. I even blew the first motor up and still i have no regrets.

every single modification on this car in the past 14 years has been done by me.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
rota92

I think regrets was used wrong in the OP's thread. Simple misunderstanding on our parts.

Blowing a motor and no regrets is a nice mentality to have, can I borrow it? haha

No dig intended, just observed your sig
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
B.
400 HP Club

my sig is me just getting his name out there more then anything.. Hes a great guy with a great shop..
Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
rota92

Now now, canadiens doing great things?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
B.
400 HP Club

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now now, canadiAns doing great things? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Always mang
Old 10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishieman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo newb here slowly piecing together my turbo kit.

So far.. Meutek mani, Turbonetics deltagate, Garret T04e 50 trim .63 Journal, Mishimoto intecooler
Still need: intercooler piping kit, bov, 550cc's, Hondata w/ boost, fuel pump. gauges, 3" DP. Alum 1/2 Radiator + slim fan,

Goals:
-keep full a/c p/s on a stock GSR in an EG2 chassis.
-budget of &lt; $2K, already spent $700
- looking to make mid 200whp, semi DD...

1. Am I being realistic with my goals?
2. Can I get away with 440 dsm injectors?
3. Anything you can add about doing it right the first time? such as using T bolt clamps instead of cheapo clamps.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

save some money and forget about hondata, crome is free. its still cheaper even if youre paying someone to tune the car. i "tuned" a 9:1 comp GSR swapped civic this weekend with an ebay 57 trim and a set of dsm 450's and it made 280@ 9 PSI. if you have a legit garrett 50 trim on a stock higher comp GSR it will make even better power then that. mid 200 on a stock GSR is a walk. probably make that on like 6-7psi.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your first experience, any regrets? Tech ?'s inside. (CoreyR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
save some money and forget about hondata, crome is free. its still cheaper even if youre paying someone to tune the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would if I could. Not too many Crome tuners in the bay area. Most would rather tune Hondata within a 20 mile radius to me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Plan to spend more money than you think</TD></TR></TABLE>
For sure.
I haven't even factored in the install and the cost of tuning.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also, if you're going to get a half length rad, go with a new/used OEM rad. They're generally cheaper and last just the same. I have a 1/2 in my GSR from a 99 Civic Si

A good resource for you would be http://www.homemadeturbo.com
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm actually running a d16 1/2 rad with my gsr swap and it's running fine, but I really wonder if it would hold up after the turbo.

Thanks for the internet resource.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first experience/regret... NOT GETTING TUNED.

Also, my tuner doesn't like using DSM injectors. Just get a Precision or RC 440 or 550.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm tuning for sure. I'm probably going to tow the car straight to the tuner after the install.

I got a stage2 clutch going now. I'll probably burn right through it and get a six puck and lighten flywheel.

DSM injectors do require a bit more work since it's not str8 plug and play, so I probably pick up some RC's

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To be honest, we can prepare you as much as possible with parts selection and the like.

But when it comes down to is, learning by doing and making your own mistakes is sadly the way we all learn haha I think I have all my bases covered, then I run into something. But the difference now is that I can get around it without a hitch.

Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

TY, I'd figure i would want to be well informed before I dive in head first. That way less mistakes = a better learning experience overall = satisfaction.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carrnut21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um, only thing I can think of is not getting ARP headstuds. There only $130 and will give you peace of mind. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll definitely look into it depending on suggestions from my installer.
Just don't rag on me too much since I'm not doing the install. I would rather pay someone for peace of mind and be frustration-less.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if they can tune hondata they should be able to tune crome. its up to you i guess.

you dont need headstuds, sure its peace of mind but its completely unecessary on a b series at that power level.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your first experience, any regrets? Tech ?'s inside. (Redcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first experience/regret... NOT GETTING TUNED.

Get tuned. Take your time. Don't do ghetto things like couplers inside couplers and autozone fuel line for wastegate lines.

Take it from me

T-bolts are nice but aren't necessary. I had worm screw type clamps on 15psi on a T3t4 and I never blew a charge pipe. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats wrong with fuel lines for waste gate lines? I just bought fuel lines for this. sorry to thread jack
Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Man U FTW

Crome would work just fine and like Corey said, anyone that can do Hondata, should be able to do Crome. They'd just much rather sell you a Hondata unit under the ploy that they can't tune crome...which is total garbage.

Also, your OEM half-rad will work just fine. Your car isn't going to be much hotter with the turbo setup than it was without it. I would maybe suggest getting a dual core OEM rad though...
Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, your OEM half-rad will work just fine. Your car isn't going to be much hotter with the turbo setup than it was without it. I would maybe suggest getting a dual core OEM rad though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dual core OEM rad?

Should this do the job?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...45083
Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishieman)

my regret with my first kit was not getting a proper fuel management (damn fmu). and the motor melted real quick. back in the day good ems's were spendy, but nowadays it's dirt cheap. and I made well over 400whp with a stock sohc rad no problem. i'd lose the deltagate for a tial personally.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (reaction360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reaction360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... and I made well over 400whp with a stock sohc rad no problem. i'd lose the deltagate for a tial personally. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I'll keep the SOHC and just get a slim fan... (Since Im on a budget)

What's wrong with the deltagate ?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishieman)

since youre not looking for a lot of power, your number ONE regret will be that you didnt shoot for more power!! haha! unsure of your experience but that seems to be the way it goes, with me anyhow. always wanting more...

as far as what youve listed, with 550's: I know I ran out of injector (85% Doodie Cycle) on a fat tune @12psi (sometimes boost cutting @ 14psi lol) on a semi built sc61 1.8 LS/V probably around 300whp give-or-take. So I would just recommend injectors, probably sell those and grab some 600-800cc squirters. My RC1000's idle amazing

and one thing i've always been told, is that dont be a cheapass, when the motors apart always refresh the clutch. obviously not every 2,000mi unless need-be but boost does funny things to an all-motor broken in clutch

btw i have a dual core half rad for sale for ch33p!!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (whiteef8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whiteef8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">since youre not looking for a lot of power, your number ONE regret will be that you didnt shoot for more power!! haha! unsure of your experience but that seems to be the way it goes, with me anyhow. always wanting more...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be satisfied just by stomping on s2ks, newest gen accord V6s and running mid-high 13's. I wouldn't consider myself power hungry but it's nice to have it on tap. I like to surprise people, that's why my intercooler and piping is all black. Gauges in my glove. It's truly kind of like an asian cat with a Di#K in box.. You open it...thinking it's just a slice, but man he's got a XL supreme pizza..

Quick Reply: You're first experience, any regrets?