Notices

Yes another exhaust topic

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes another exhaust topic

So I have a Turbo LS in my hatch and it is waaay to loud. I cant tell if im getting old.....or my muffler is getting louder.........probably both. Muffler is several years old but deff. no more than 10K miles on it.

3" down pipe ---> 3" mandrel bent exhaust ---> 3" Magnaflow muffler tucked up under bumper with turn down.

The exhaust is loud enough that it makes me not enjoy driving my car and when I do drive it for extended periods of time I end up with a headache. I am living in the south until December and want to drive to Deals Gap while im still here before the weather takes a crap....so looking to do something soon

Should I try a different muffler? install a resonator?

Here is what I have for "muffling" lol

Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Yes another exhaust topic

It is called put as many resonators as you can in the exhaust. What do you think muffls the exhaust resonance? I will give you a hint, its not a muffler... I would NEVER drive a 2.5"+ exhaust vehicle without at least one resonator.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go.. this should help

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ight=obx+forza
Old 10-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't some resonators prove to be a limitation for turbo'd cars ?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got what juu need:
Old 10-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a 3" full exhaust and a resonator on my old car and couldn't hear the car driving, it was super quiet. but in boost it was pretty damn loud

now i got a open dump 1 foot off the turbo and still quiet. barely hear it while cruising. can listen to the radio and make calls without a problem
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EF9_TryMe
Don't some resonators prove to be a limitation for turbo'd cars ?
Please, stop trying to prove your ignorance in every single thread you create and post in.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 3" oval magnaflow muffler with a 3" magnaflow round for a resi on my dd eg and a recirc on the gate, Its pretty decent, I bet you would be alot happier with a round in there to kill some more sound.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Please, stop trying to prove your ignorance in every single thread you create and post in.
I mean if it proves to be a restriction, why not take that into account ?

Otherwise it's just a question.
Personally I never ran one of these things before, so I am trying to educate myself on the cons and pros.
Do you not see the question mark at the end? Geez ..
You're on fire today.

Last edited by EF9_TryMe; 10-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I spent years going through exhaust systems, i must have at least 2g's tied up in exhaust systems alone before i finally settled on the fact that quiet is not a compromise you can have with performance. First things first, anything straight through, is going to be loud, its just a fact you need to accept with honda's, other cars might be able to make it work but for some reason the way our engines are designed, and headers tuned, they always make some level of noise that is alway considered unacceptable. Second thing is, anything bigger then 2.5" again, will always be loud.

Through all my mufflers and all my resonators and all my pipe sizes ive found, "turbo style" mufflers, much like the dynomax super turbo will always make the best quality sound and the lowest noise and have the ability to maintain performance. My current muffler is a solo performance OE92 converted to fit a 3" exhaust system that I had custom made. It is similar to the dynomax super turbo but uses a smaller inner pipe system and much heavier fiberglass/ceramic packing.

Second thing is you need to choose your resonator wisely, straight through resonators do absolutely nothing to muffle sound, they are too close to the motor to provide any sort of dampening beyond 1-2db's. I recently swapped to a flo pro "baffle pack" which was designed to quiet diesel engines. It litterally is a gigantic 3" plate inside of a resonator style pipe, with a 2" hole in it, that sends the exhaust down a baffle tube, and it then has to find its way out of another 2" hole on the opposite end. This was about as quiet as I could get it without sacrificing performance, the 3000-4000rpm resonation is still terrible however.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Smart thing to do is put your stock cat back on. And add a cut out to it and be done. You'll have a stock sounding car and when you want to open it up either flip a switch or pull on a cable simple as that. No need to experiment with this resenator, that cat, this muffler and this size piping.
But if you like being ignorant then why not spend the money and waste the time "trying out new things"..
Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Smart thing to do is put your stock cat back on. And add a cut out to it and be done. You'll have a stock sounding car and when you want to open it up either flip a switch or pull on a cable simple as that. No need to experiment with this resenator, that cat, this muffler and this size piping.
But if you like being ignorant then why not spend the money and waste the time "trying out new things"..
is there an actual name for that cat cutout? I tried searching "cat cutout switch" on google lol... not working very well.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

They're called electric cutouts.
You could also use a cruise control setup with a throttle body. Get creative and make it work I did one and worked great. Hardest part is finding a 3" throttle body at a junkyard though.
They also sell premade kits for the piping for like 60 bucks.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Recirculating the Dumptube back into the exhaust will quiet things down during WOT. (make sure to add flex pipe, vibrant turbo Flex, not the wire mesh one.)

I agree the straight thru design doesnt make a huge difference in sound but it helps. And does not affect performance..Id get the longest one you can get.

I went with K teller 3" mandrel bent, 18" straight thru resonator (also Kteller) and a Apexi World sport 2 Turbo muffler (not cheap) I think its very quiet.

My goal was to make it as quiet as possible without affecting performance and im happy with how it sounds. I may actually add another resonator and have it Tig'd in.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

open Dp, make them horsepowers!!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 3" thermal (doesn't come with a resonator) is quieter than my kteller kit with 18" resonator and magnaflow or dynomax muffler. drones less on the highway also.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by kyden
my 3" thermal (doesn't come with a resonator) is quieter than my kteller kit with 18" resonator and magnaflow or dynomax muffler. drones less on the highway also.
That's because you're using a muffler that has proper baffling and chambers. The Apex'i, GReddy, Thermal, series is similar. I've found that when a bit more is put into a quality muffler, there's little need for a bunch of resonators of differing lengths.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SilverEK96
Thank you that did help a bit!

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
I guess I should have mentioned that this car is just a toy I have other daily drivers so I dont care if its quiet.....it just needs to not give me a headache after 30min of driving. Somewhere in the middle would be great lol

Im also not going to try to figure out how to stick my stock cat back in my exhaust lol

Originally Posted by kyden
Thought about getting a Thermal but I really hate how big shiny mufflers look hanging under the bumper :/

Was thinking about trying out this Vibrant ultra quiet resonator.....but its only 10" long and may be difficult to fit...hmm

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=47
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would consider recirculating the dump if youre concerned about WOT loudness.

If you do it make sure to use this flex ont he dumptube http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1638

I went thru 2 flex pipes before using this one , never had a problem since. I even used the Turbo Flex and it still failed.

I like the APexi muffler (world sport 2) it was close to 300$ tho, not cheap!. That looks like a decent resonator FYI , but i agree a little short. Maybe it makes up for the length by the width?

id think that resonator and a new quality muffler and youd be happier

Id also recommend having it TIg welded if youre entire exhaust system is stainless. I hate when someone spends all this money on a quailty exhaust and has it all crappy mig welded together.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 2.5" all the way, a resonator and a free flowing muffler. at night this is too loud to feel safe.

would welding in a cherrybomb or other styled muffler (the ones that look like resonators) affect air flow a lot? I had a stock gsr muffler on before and it ran silent....but my buddies all said the car sounded restricted as **** out the tail pipe.

good to see people whove gone through set ups posting. seems a good turbo muffler will do the trick as well
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kbouchard1092
I would consider recirculating the dump if youre concerned about WOT loudness.

If you do it make sure to use this flex ont he dumptube http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1638

I went thru 2 flex pipes before using this one , never had a problem since. I even used the Turbo Flex and it still failed.

I like the APexi muffler (world sport 2) it was close to 300$ tho, not cheap!. That looks like a decent resonator FYI , but i agree a little short. Maybe it makes up for the length by the width?

id think that resonator and a new quality muffler and youd be happier

Id also recommend having it TIg welded if youre entire exhaust system is stainless. I hate when someone spends all this money on a quailty exhaust and has it all crappy mig welded together.
I was talking to some supra guys before, and they mentioned most of them run a
non recirculated dump tube when upgrading to a bigger exhaust, and a bigger single turbo.
I guess it makes sense that you could get away with a little bit more power.

I never really looked into getting an exhaust system for burdening resonance. I always
loved the audible chaotic loud situation.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea the open dump does not bother me at all....I dont mind the car loud at WOT.

These are 2 other options I found on Vibrants site

This one is an actual muffler....but at 6" diameter I wonder how difficult it would be to fit and how low it would hang

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=38

This one is a resonator and would be easier to fit i think.......15.5" long resonator and is 5" diameter:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1702

I really need to get the car up in the air and see how much room I have to work with
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I found my car open downpipe was quieter than with a full 3" exhaust (no cat though)

Open downpipe ftw
Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I rolled open DP for a long time lol and in someways it does seem quieter.

Just got under the car this afternoon and I think if I put something 5" in diamiter down there its going to get fucked up pretty quickly....... My flex pipe isnt that big around and it looks like it has taken some good hits.

Ahhhh frustration.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Skip the frustration get a cutout....
My boosted gsr is quiter than my stock eg.

Quick Reply: Yes another exhaust topic