Notices

Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup

what are the worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo kit or a cutom turbo setup?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:34 AM
New User

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (b18cya)

1. Leaky oil feed line which sprays 3 qts of oil in the engine bay in about 30 seconds.

2. Wastegate stuck closed.

3. Slipping clutch after install is done.

4. Fit

Randy
Old 12-03-2002, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (RGAZ)

space in engine bay.

****** wg sealant of Tial. Bolt that sucker directly on the manifold!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (austrian type-R)

you didnt use a gasket?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (RGAZ)

REdoing return line on oil line only to find out the pan was to shallow for the oil pick up starve the motor for oil in 5minutes and eats up rod bearing..=bottom end toast.

leaky oil return

intercooler piping blowoff on boost

feed tee in back of block broke in block and needed to take and easy-out to remove it

downpipe bolts fall off while driving downpipe falls off almost causes crash and gets run over

having to cut bumper to get intercooler to fit and piping

small stuff like that

This in now way describes turbo kits i have installed just what i have seen. If you dot your i and cross your t's when you do this install its hard to mess it up.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (b18cya)

oil drain line doesn't drain adequately, causing the turbo to fill with oil, which in turn produces a white cloud the size of the Texas Panhandle.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (fsp31)

exhaust leaks....... ggrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (zojirushi)

installing the turbo kit then after a few minutes find out that the tubo seals were bad to begin with and have to remove it
Old 12-03-2002, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (fsp31)

oil drain line doesn't drain adequately, causing the turbo to fill with oil, which in turn produces a white cloud the size of the Texas Panhandle.
Done that one before on my car when i first went turbo 3 years ago (oil drain wasn't facing down enough) and my buddys car (he did it) about 6 months ago when he didn't know the drain was kinked and drove it leaving a cloud of smoke (so thick that i couldn't even see his car and i was only 15 feet behind him in my car) luckly i've learned from my mistakes and i have a "just incase" kit in my car which is comprised of random parts mostly spare parts for the turbo (at one point i had 3 wastegates in the kit ) but now it's windled down to a few tools and hoses. One of which worked for a temp oil return on his car.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (turbodsmpower)

intercooler piping blowoff on boost

Done that one also.....foundout my hose clamps wern't on good enough to hold 15psi.....Loud pop that scared the **** out of me because after it happend i had no power (well no boost which = no power)
Old 12-03-2002, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (b16ahybrid)

My drag manifold wouldnt fit flush against the head with the deltagate mounted. Drag custom made me and adapter to move the wastegate. Works now though.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (b16ahybrid)

Done that one before on my car when i first went turbo 3 years ago (oil drain wasn't facing down enough) and my buddys car (he did it) about 6 months ago when he didn't know the drain was kinked and drove it leaving a cloud of smoke (so thick that i couldn't even see his car and i was only 15 feet behind him in my car) luckly i've learned from my mistakes and i have a "just incase" kit in my car which is comprised of random parts mostly spare parts for the turbo (at one point i had 3 wastegates in the kit ) but now it's windled down to a few tools and hoses. One of which worked for a temp oil return on his car.
So what exactly happens when the oil drain is facing up? I am making a turbo kit and the oil drain is facing about 45 degrees up and I cannot clock the turbine to move it down, it's just stuck (tried everything I can think of and a hammer). So was the problem getting oil stuck in there? Or just a kink in the line?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:17 AM

Actuator Stuck closed is a favorite..

Charge pipes blowing off

Lean conditions

Shitty oil return, causing leak....

Running wrong kind of oil feed pressure line, and blowing oil everywhere (bigmess)

exhaust leaks

Whats the absoulte worst problem?
a few blown engines I guess.

Jeff

Old 12-03-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (AbaZ)

1.Charge pipes blowing off
2.Leaning out
3.Shitty oil return, causing leak....
4.Leaky oil feed line which spraying oil everywhere!!!
5.exhaust leaks (still have one, :crook

had those all happen...

oh and too much pressure through the fpr, and the gas hose blew off the bottom causing a nice gassy spray aroma...needless to say i lost about a gallon before we stopped
Old 12-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (technine)

>>So what exactly happens when the oil drain is facing up? I am making a turbo kit and the oil drain is facing about 45 degrees up and I cannot clock the turbine to move it down, it's just stuck (tried everything I can think of and a hammer). So was the problem getting oil stuck in there? Or just a kink in the line? <<

Mainly oil getting stuck in the line. The turbo has to drain *really* well. With the drain flange stuck like that, you have to make a pretty sharp bend to get around to the oil pan. If there isn't a *very* significant drop from the turbo drain flange to the pan bung then you'll have problems. Look at it this way. Oil will be shooting in there at 60 psi (more or less), the drain has to be able to keep up with only gravity. You may try to compensate by using larger daimeter drain tubing, like at least 3/4 - 1 inch inner diameter.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:48 AM

For some reason i seem to be going through tires alot faster
Old 12-03-2002, 01:28 PM

1. Exhaust leaks at the head.
2. Exhaust leaks at the manifold/turbo.
3. Exhaust leaks at the turbo/downpipe.
4. Losing 4 exhaust manifold nuts while driving.
5. Having the turbo work itself loose from the manifold and literally fall off. If my engine bay wasn't so cramped it probably would have fell into the road.
6. Going from 75% tread on your front tires to having slicks in 3 weeks.
7. Worst problem? Putting a turbo on a B series motor in a 4th gen Civic..not a lot of room but it's BEYOND well worth it.
8. Exhaust leaks.

Don't be scurred..just take your time and plan everything out..your install will go fine.

[Modified by 91CivicSi, 5:29 PM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (91CivicSi)

Shitty oil return....still is shitty, but doesn't leak!

charge pipes....you're not a man until you've done charge piping in a ef

driving around town with no charge piping...wondering why the turbo is spitting out oil

fitting an intercooler in a ef....goes with the above catagory about charge piping....just remember to bust out the sawzall and never look back!

borrowing a buddies fmu....which spits fuel out a hole in the bottom.
adjusting the cartech i bought on partstrader...to find out they superglued the adjustment **** on...then sealing it with radidator clay it works! it works!

5456154879835 exhaust leaks. in every ******* place you can imagine between the head and cat.

but it's definetly well worth it. this was the first turbo i did...wow what a pain in the *** it seemed, but if i ever had to do a 2nd one again, it'll be cake!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Trial User

the store was closed when i needed something..

How dare they close the store at 2am....
Old 12-03-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (GSRwBOOST)

the store was closed when i needed something..

How dare they close the store at 2am....
ditto, all those extra srews and nuts, when you realize that you needed just one more and have to go back in someone elses car,

waiting for parts that you didnt know you needed and having to ask for rides everywhere, reminds me of high school, screwing in the oil return to the pan, and when i look, the line gets kinked, screwing around with this cheap *** internal wastegate only to make it worse,

gotta get around to getting a 5 bolt flange and a tial like you honda cats....

everybodies install woes are difft, good luck
Old 12-03-2002, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (technine)

So what exactly happens when the oil drain is facing up? I am making a turbo kit and the oil drain is facing about 45 degrees up and I cannot clock the turbine to move it down, it's just stuck (tried everything I can think of and a hammer). So was the problem getting oil stuck in there? Or just a kink in the line?
Is the oil drain pointed towards the front of the car or towards the engine?....
The problem with his was a kink, the hose wouldn't make the sharp bend so i had a pre-bent rubber hose that we used to make the bend.....
Old 12-03-2002, 04:17 PM
New User

My biggest problem was getting the turbo to fit. Had to cut the webbing of the block.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:36 PM
New User

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (EVOCELICA)

Cutting the webbing on the engine...
Old 12-03-2002, 05:10 PM
New User

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (dilow)

yup
Old 12-03-2002, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup (EVOCELICA)

webbing on block also
screws clamps nuts and bolts
EXHAUST LEAKS
trying to figure why it SMOKED LIKE A BASTARD.......oil return line into oil pan......

Quick Reply: Worst problems you've encountered when installing a turbo setup