Notices

Will rods be really neccesary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will rods be really neccesary?

Ok so Im goin turbo...woop woop...finally...LOL...but I wanna upgrade my engine so it can be able to take 215-245whp. Im gettin some 8.5:1 Vitara pisons and some NPR piston ring set, and some ACL rod bearing. Do you guys think that should be able to do the trick or should I spend twice as much, pull something out of my ***, and get some eagle rods as well?-thanx!!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will rods be really neccesary? (civic_saints1)

If your going to have the thing apart, take the extra step and put the rods in, you then be able to make even more power for when u get bored with what you've got. You won't have to stop, u'll be able to turn it up. You will get boost happy, it happens to everyone.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For a D, definitely do yourself a favor and do some eagle rods in it.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will rods be really neccesary? (Running925)

i would be more worried about the rods in a D-series than the pistons. if your gonna swap the pistons out you need to do the rods too. better yet you should buy some REAL pistons and forged rods
Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Will rods be really neccesary? (EFsSuck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFsSuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would be more worried about the rods in a D-series than the pistons. if your gonna swap the pistons out you need to do the rods too. better yet you should buy some REAL pistons and forged rods </TD></TR></TABLE>

So what exactly do you mean by REAL PISTONS AND FORGED RODS?Can I have some examples?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Will rods be really neccesary? (civic_saints1)

Real pistons = forged. Although Vitaras are proven, they also require floating wrist pins. Stock rods are press-in. D16 rods are also the first thing to go when you run too much power. Pistons only go because people run lean/too much timing (due to shitty tune or overboost).
Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 PM
i ♥ snails

yeah the ringlands usually go because of tuning errors but can also let go just from a huge increase in cylinder pressure because they were never really meant for anything more than 120hp econo box motor duty. Yeah vitaras are the way to go unless your going to sleeve it then why run vitaras instead of forged. thats just my opinion.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the ringlands usually go because of tuning errors but can also let go just from a huge increase in cylinder pressure because they were never really meant for anything more than 120hp econo box motor duty. Yeah vitaras are the way to go unless your going to sleeve it then why run vitaras instead of forged. thats just my opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly is forged and vitara?Can somebody please explain the difference?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (civic_saints1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_saints1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What exactly is forged and vitara?Can somebody please explain the difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Without going into a huge amount of technical detail....

"Forging" is a manufacturing method for shaping metal without heating it to a molten state, which is "Casting". Read more here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging Gotta love Wikipedia!

"Vitaras" refers to a cast piston used in the Suzuki Vitara sport utility vehicle. The pistons used in this vehicle, just happen to fit into many Honda "D" series engines, and lower the compression ratio to a level which is more forgiving in forced induction (turbo / supercharger) applications. Lower compression ratios, allow you to run higher boost levels, with reduced tendancy for detonation. Basically, a lower CR is more tolerant of a poor tune.

These "features", along with their low cost, make the Vitara pistons attractive to those looking to save a few dollars on pistons. Vitara sets can be had for $125, including rings.

Vitaras use a floating pin, as opposed to the factory Honda D rods, which are a press fit. Trying to use factory rods, means a little work must be done to alter them for the floating pin setup. It's not worth it. Get some aftermarket rods. (I know there are some sponsors here that sell econo H-Beam rods which are proven with the Vitaras )

Hope that helps!

Craig
Old 07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you tear your D apart and see that the rods are pencil thin, you'll regret not buying new Eagle rods....the weakpoint in the D series engine is the rod so i say replace them