Notices

Will this manifold work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will this manifold work?

Hey guys,

Trying to turbo my 98 D16 honda and keep a/c. Will this log manifold do the trick? Looks like it from the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks
Malcolm
Old 10-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will this manifold work?

Any input guys? auction ends soon and I'm really thinking about grabbing it.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the wastegate port is on the #1 and only being fed by the #1.. No bueno!

you want one where its being fed by all 4 cylinders. But be careful, theres some which require a wastegate tube installed as the Tial doesnt fit directly on the manifold.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man. Where can I find a blox or one like the pic you have? On my phone now but will google it when I get home. I wanted a nice tubular manifold but they are so expensive and very few support a/c. I think a log will be a good way to get started.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I deleted the pics.. those are for a B series.

so look around ebay for ones like it for a D
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah ok. Yeah I've searched eBay and I just keep finding the ones like I posted. All the ones I find with a centered waste gate port are B series.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally found a log for D series with a waste gate port that's centered. This seems decent doesn't it? How much HP do I loose going with it instead of a real ram horn style manifold?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...#ht_1774wt_940

Old 10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the other one I'm considering if the log style is gonna kill to much performance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...#ht_3677wt_940

Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont wanna go ebay, I have an equal length manifold I'll see pretty cheap. Its coated black as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it work with a/c? Any pics? I've already purchased a darn expensive Spoolin Performance header and it doesn't fit worth a crap. Spoolin then told me it was because of my ebay turbo and that I needed a specific bulls eye or garrett or precision etc. of a certain size. So I get the $650 turbo and still nothing fits.

That's why I'm looking at ebay now. I can't keep buying expensive manifolds that don't fit lol.

If you've actually installed this header and know it works I'd be interested.

Thanks
Malcolm
Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait you bought a Header or a Turbo Exhaust Manifold? And with most you have to notch the block a little to fit the turbo. Mine is AC and PS freindly. I had it mocked up on a Y8 I was planning to turbo but went B series instead, it cleared AC and PS fine, I had a Garrett 50trim and it required minor grinding to the block near the D16y8 stamped code.Also T3 and 38mm flanged.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
Does it work with a/c? Any pics? I've already purchased a darn expensive Spoolin Performance header and it doesn't fit worth a crap. Spoolin then told me it was because of my ebay turbo and that I needed a specific bulls eye or garrett or precision etc. of a certain size. So I get the $650 turbo and still nothing fits.

That's why I'm looking at ebay now. I can't keep buying expensive manifolds that don't fit lol.

If you've actually installed this header and know it works I'd be interested.

Thanks
Malcolm
You do realize that you have to slightly grind the webbing on the block to get any of the quality ones to fit at all for any longevity, right? Its a common standard in many D-series and B-series builds.

Don't get caught up in this BS ebay crap. You're going to be doing twice the work than what you already have. Fitment takes work, nothing just SLIDES ON, especially when trying to keep A/C and P/S on a platform that was never designed to see all three from the factory.

I just see you're going to be pissed getting any of these "alternatives".. its just a matter of time.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sdobson910
Wait you bought a Header or a Turbo Exhaust Manifold? And with most you have to notch the block a little to fit the turbo. Mine is AC and PS freindly. I had it mocked up on a Y8 I was planning to turbo but went B series instead, it cleared AC and PS fine, I had a Garrett 50trim and it required minor grinding to the block near the D16y8 stamped code.Also T3 and 38mm flanged.

Sorry probably mixing my terminologies here. I purchased a manifold for a turbo. I'll put some pics at the end of the thread. How much do you want for yours?

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You do realize that you have to slightly grind the webbing on the block to get any of the quality ones to fit at all for any longevity, right? Its a common standard in many D-series and B-series builds.

Don't get caught up in this BS ebay crap. You're going to be doing twice the work than what you already have. Fitment takes work, nothing just SLIDES ON, especially when trying to keep A/C and P/S on a platform that was never designed to see all three from the factory.

I just see you're going to be pissed getting any of these "alternatives".. its just a matter of time.
Actually I didn't have to grind anything on the block. It fit in that respect. My issue is with the clutch slave. I changed from the stock civic slave to the accord slave like everyone said to be honestly this one interferes even more.

My other issue is the back of the turbo sits so close to the a/c compressor I can't physically fit 3" piping in there. I'd have to go with a smaller diameter tubing and then expand to 3" once past the compressor. If my turbo sat just a little higher and over to the left (passenger's side) it would cure both issues.

I also see my TIAL waste gate doesn't fit. I need some sort of extension tube as the housing hits the manifold tubes when I try and install the waste gate.

Some pics. I know it's very hard to tell fitment but at least you can see something.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok yea I see your issues, thats a quick4ac manifold. Its a very nice manifold but it sits the turbo lower and cause issues for some people. With mine it will position the wastegate to the left and awat from your PS. It will also bring the turbo up higher and the flange is more to the passenger side. PM me if your interested and i'll give you a price.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally found a log for D series with a waste gate port that's centered. This seems decent doesn't it? How much HP do I loose going with it instead of a real ram horn style manifold?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...#ht_1774wt_940

hope u didnt get this manifold. the runners are way to long and yes I have used it and had to pull condenser out becase my cold side was to large to have it turned under the manifold
Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I didn't buy it yet. Thanks for the feed back. I've been searching for alternatives knowing that one may not work and this is the latest one on my radar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC...ht_2887wt_1166

Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Dunno about clearance differences, but be warned: my friend used that exact turbo manifold in his Del Sol and ended up leaving a huge dent in his hood where the wastegate was smashing into it.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the pointer. I'll have to take that into consideration.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

The slave cylinder is typically replaced with one from a prelude (4th gen). Also, spoolin's down pipe fits pretty well for those. Keep your search on eBay if you must, but you already have one of the better quality and fitting manifolds on the market other than bisimoto or go-Autowerks. We've all seen or experienced all those choices. Your search will be futile for th best of 3 worlds of quality, fitment, and price.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The slave cylinder is typically replaced with one from a prelude (4th gen). Also, spoolin's down pipe fits pretty well for those. Keep your search on eBay if you must, but you already have one of the better quality and fitting manifolds on the market other than bisimoto or go-Autowerks. We've all seen or experienced all those choices. Your search will be futile for th best of 3 worlds of quality, fitment, and price.
What year is 4th gen Prelude? I took a guess at 1998. Does this look like the slave I need?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._577131593____

If that link doesn't work (because it wants your zip code etc.) search for part # 37889 on their site and it'll take you right to it. It actually looks just like the stock civic one I took off if I'm not mistaken?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

4th gen prelude is 1992-1996
Old 10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I changed it from 98 to 95 on the website and it still has the same part number. Maybe the site is broke. I can check at an actual auto parts store tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM

I changed it from 98 to 95 on the website and it still has the same part number. Maybe the site is broke. I can check at an actual auto parts store tomorrow.
They may well be the same part number. The Honda series engines tend to use a lot of the same supplemental parts from year to year for at times over 10 years.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That slave is exactly what I have on my car right now best I can tell. See this pic. The one on the top is the accord/prelude unit I installed and it looks identical to the one I found on the autoparts store for a 95 Prelude.
The one pictured below is what the civic had stock.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I didn't buy it yet. Thanks for the feed back. I've been searching for alternatives knowing that one may not work and this is the latest one on my radar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC...ht_2887wt_1166

My friend made ~310 whp and ~290tq on a d16 bored out to a 1.7L vitara/eagle setup on some ebay turbo pushing 20psi with one of these manifolds. He has been beating the **** out off it since the day it got tuned about 3 weeks ago. So far so good. Walks 350-450RWHP 6.0L GTO's from digs in a crx.

Quick Reply: Will this manifold work?