Notices

will a gsr fuel pump do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a gsr fuel pump do?

Im about to upgrade my fuel pump, I have 450 cc injectors, will a gsr fuel pump give enough fuel for 10 psi?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 PM
jep

what car u currently have? a gsr pump will be sufficient, but if u have to get a pump, why not get a walbro 255lph. these are not that expensive anyways and much better than the gsr.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 PM
bag

Default Re: will a gsr fuel pump do? (motormike40)

gsr pump is fine,,they can support over 300whp proven..just dont go raising the fuel pressure....i would never buy a walbro if i didnt need it,loud as hell and piece of garbage (no offense)
Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a Walbro in my GSR and i can't ever hear it.....i personally would get a fuel pump rather than chance leaning out because you cheaped out on an easy, inexpesive part
Old 08-18-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Re: will a gsr fuel pump do? (bag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gsr pump is fine,,they can support over 300whp proven..just dont go raising the fuel pressure....i would never buy a walbro if i didnt need it,loud as hell and piece of garbage (no offense)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would pretty much say tht entire statement is false. I would never trust ANY stock honda pump on a boosted car, let alone one making 300hp. Walbros are barely any louder then a stock pump, an engine with any sort of modification to the intake and/or exhasut will be louder then the pump.

I know they arent 100% reliable, but with the ridiculous number of people that run them with no problem, I wouldnt worry about that. And a mild setup running stock fuel pressure will barely stress the pump at all.

They are so cheap, it would be down right stupid not to get one instead of another stock pump.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 PM
bag

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a Walbro in my GSR and i can't ever hear it.....i personally would get a fuel pump rather than chance leaning out because you cheaped out on an easy, inexpesive part</TD></TR></TABLE>

you must be on crack if you cant hear the walbro pump..something is defineatly wrong with you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IRONlung201 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would pretty much say tht entire statement is false. I would never trust ANY stock honda pump on a boosted car, let alone one making 300hp. Walbros are barely any louder then a stock pump, an engine with any sort of modification to the intake and/or exhasut will be louder then the pump.

I know they arent 100% reliable, but with the ridiculous number of people that run them with no problem, I wouldnt worry about that. And a mild setup running stock fuel pressure will barely stress the pump at all.

They are so cheap, it would be down right stupid not to get one instead of another stock pump. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you obviously dont any experience and are only going by here say..i work at a shop in nj...its a fact that the dohc vtec pumps flow 134lph.....Now i wouldnt trust the non dohc vtec pumps which only flow 79lph..but thats another story....And walbros reliable??? what? i work at a shop and always recomend my customers to go away from them,,it might be gsr fuel pump if they want around 300whp...or if they want more ill reccomend them and install the supra twin turbo oem pump,,or if they want super high power ill sump the tank for them an install an inline pump.......Im going by actual experience no reading on honda-tech..you're in nj come to e-town and ask questions

by the way i have yet to see a walbro that lasts more then 2 years...thats when they seem to go....
Old 08-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input, but how much of pain is it to swap the pumps out?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:46 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its easy to swap the pumps, and contrary to what the so called expert up there thinks, they aren't even noticeable if the engine is running.

Hey Bag, way to argue your point like a 7 year old...calling names is soo cool and mature....
Old 08-19-2006, 06:31 AM
bag

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its easy to swap the pumps, and contrary to what the so called expert up there thinks, they aren't even noticeable if the engine is running.

Hey Bag, way to argue your point like a 7 year old...calling names is soo cool and mature....</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didnt call you a name

and i never said i was an expert.

yeah the fuel pumps are easy to put in as long as you have a 94 + integra or 92+ civic.......If you have a pre 93 integra or pre 91 civic you will have to drop the fuel tank to change the fuel pump.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: will a gsr fuel pump do? (bag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you obviously dont any experience and are only going by here say..i work at a shop in nj...its a fact that the dohc vtec pumps flow 134lph.....Now i wouldnt trust the non dohc vtec pumps which only flow 79lph..but thats another story....And walbros reliable??? what? i work at a shop and always recomend my customers to go away from them,,it might be gsr fuel pump if they want around 300whp...or if they want more ill reccomend them and install the supra twin turbo oem pump,,or if they want super high power ill sump the tank for them an install an inline pump.......Im going by actual experience no reading on honda-tech..you're in nj come to e-town and ask questions

by the way i have yet to see a walbro that lasts more then 2 years...thats when they seem to go....</TD></TR></TABLE>

The advice I gave to the op comes from a 50/50 mix of real world experience and info ive read. Ive dealt with I'd have to say about 7 or 8 cars using these pumps. Only one of those cars had a failure, and it was right out of the box. The rest of the cars with the pumps worked fine for as long as they were used.

Now ive dealt with 1 and only one turbo honda running what was said to be an ITR fuel pump. It lasted through a street tune and a 1 hour highway drive under boost, and it died that day. So thats all the actual experience I have with them.

Put that together with the extreme of popularity of these pumps in the honda community, with very few failures that I have personally heard about, and that Is how my opinion is formed.

I do agree the the TT supra pump may be more reliable do to OEM standards backing it up, but at the increased price, again I would recomend the walbro. If you dont over stress the pump ie: very high fuel pressure on a v very high horsepower setup. im sure it will work for you, like the other 10 billion people using them.

And yes bag is correct about the install, very easy in 92+ civic and 94+ integras, not so easy for eariler cars.

O, and the only time I was ever able to hear the pump was at fuel prime with KOEO, and slightly at idle, but most of the time the engine/exhaust will easily make the pump inaudible.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i work at a shop in nj...</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i work at a shop and always recomend my customers to go away from them</TD></TR></TABLE>
Working at a shop doesnt make you the end all be all source on fuel pump info. There are PLENTY of performance shops in NJ I wouldnt let change the oil on my beater, let alone do any sort of performance work....

Old 08-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my walbro 5 years ago used, its been working flawless since then, never had a problem I run 54psi fuel pressure, never heard the pump except for when it primed when I turn the key on. and if it fails I would still buy another one.

Modified by rudebwoy at 12:25 AM 8/20/2006
Old 08-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

running a stock gsr fuel pump on 7psi and havnet had any problems, Im keeping stock fuel pressure though so i guess that helps...
Old 08-19-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought my walbro 5 years ago used, its been working flawless since then, never had a problem I run 54psi fuel pressure, never heard the pump except for when it primed when I turn the key on. and if it fails I would still buy another one.

Modified by rudebwoy at 12:25 AM 8/20/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>walbro
Old 08-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

walbro = 8+ years and still going strong