Notices

wideband questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband questions

i just bought my s300 for my built ls-vtec turbo build and i have tried researching for the last few nights which wideband to get for it so i can keep an eye on my a/f and make sure i dont lean out but i would also like it to be able to be datalogged with my s300, i know i have read a few bad things about aem having problems but i really like the look and price point of that unit but i cant get any hard facts if you can datalog with the s300 for it, i know alot of you might recommend the plx unit or the fjo but im trying to look for something that will do what i want and not break the bank, i like the digital read out of the aem and the sweeping part. if it does come down to it ill shell out the extra cash and get one of those units but i would rather save the money if the aem would do what im looking for. Sorry for the long post just wanna make sure i get the right unit
Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband questions (Chris Crane)

Hondata reccomends PLX. I've used two of them with no problems. Thats what i would say to get.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: wideband questions (SpoolnG2)

I recommend the NGK AFX in that price range.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband questions (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recommend the NGK AFX in that price range.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i love my NGK powerdex just make sure you get it with a NTK sensor as well. if you decide to get one
Old 01-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

When I got my s300 from Phearable they recomended the Innovate LC-1, I got it with a digital guage... haven't installed it yet I'll let you know after this weekend how it turned out but I've been told it will work fine.

Good Luck
Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband questions (NonovUrbizniz)

just wanted to watch this thread and bump it up
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with the ngk can you get a different aftermarket gauge that not only shows digital but also sweeping?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The gauge I got from PLX has the sweeping portion on the outside with the colors (red,yellow,green like the original autometer one) and has the digital readout number in the middle of it.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recommend the NGK AFX in that price range.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like those and the Innovate lineup. Innovates are kind of annoying with how they constantly need recalibration, though.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris Crane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the ngk can you get a different aftermarket gauge that not only shows digital but also sweeping?</TD></TR></TABLE>

theres currently no sweep version gauge available for the NGK powerdex.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband questions (tony413)

well dang, so it looks like if i want to take advantage of the s300s a/f datalogging and also have a sweeping gauge im gonna have to go with the plx???
Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wideband questions (Joseph Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I like those and the Innovate lineup. Innovates are kind of annoying with how they constantly need recalibration, though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

??? It only needs to be recalibrated if you unplug the sensor with the unit on...or if you change sensors.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband questions (xenocron)

Or if it gets run out of range for any period of time... or if the wiring on the car it's installed on is wierd and it gets fed less than 12V... etc. If it's going to be installed on one car, it's fine, but shifting everything around in my world they can be a 10 minute annoyance every third car. Nothing big.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...20161

found that on ebay and it was a little more then i would like to pay but it would work with my s300 right??? and does anyone know whats involved in hooking up all the other stuff its capable of???
Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im using an LC-1 and i have no problems with it. Took me a while to gt it to work with s300, but it was jus somthing stupid and work around it. If you do decide to get the LC-1 and need help hooking it up pm me, it very easy . But good luck on your choice.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris Crane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well dang, so it looks like if i want to take advantage of the s300s a/f datalogging and also have a sweeping gauge im gonna have to go with the plx???</TD></TR></TABLE>

please dont go PLX i know the price looks good but the product is pure trash just trash go NGK or innovate. also you dont really need a wideband that can datalog with your EMS its just a fancy feature there to HELP but NOT a necessity
Old 01-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband questions (tony413)

Almost any wideband on the market can be datalogged in the s300, the NGK can be wired in and setup to datalog wideband a/f. The thing hondata is talking about is using the 1v narrow band simulation output for the o2 input for closed loop control.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess i better read more about widebands cause now i feel like a idiot
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nonsense. There's a lot going on and it just takes a minute to get up to speed.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris Crane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess i better read more about widebands cause now i feel like a idiot</TD></TR></TABLE>

so true bone head. that is just to much input for u to put into that lil bitty knot of ur's. just stay N/A. lmao
Old 01-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband questions (Joseph Davis)

well then what should i be looking for??
Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one thats accurate and reliable. and user friendly.

honestlt if $540 is in your price range get an FJO with NTK sensor
if you dont wanna spend over $310
get the NGK powerdex with NTK sensor
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one thats accurate and reliable. and user friendly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In a nutshell, avoid the AEM.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Joseph Davis)

Haha, funny story. Just installed a bunch of stuff on an s2k, including a supercharger, EMS, AEM wideband gauge, and AEM external UEGO controller. I told the customer not to buy the AEM wideband but he did anyways, he figured he'd get both and at least one would work. Anyways, i figured for sure i wouldn't need to put my Motec PLM in the car to tune, one of the AEM widebands has to work.

AEM Gauge is within a few points of a/f of the external meter sometimes, and off as much as 2 points sometimes, external meter was properly calibrated and wired. The gauge just goes --- at almost anything other than steady state. The external controller seemed to be doing good, then locked at 18.47 a/f for a few pulls. I figured the sensor died. Started working again a few pulls later. He did buy the stuff used, maybe that's why it was sold in the first place, but it's not the first time i've seen issues like this.

It's tough to put faith in such an important reading when tuning a car with meters that do things like that.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

NGK or FJO. ive wasted a lot of money and a lot of TIME fooling around with other widebands that i wouldnt spend another dollar on.

i had a AEM in my racecar for a while b/c it fit in the gauge cluster i made--one of the sensors lasted half a season, the other sensor died on the very first dyno pull 5 min after it was installed. (we always verified AFR on the dyno with a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd wideband)

i used the NGK for a long time in my racecar and also in tons of cars on the dyno. the sensor that came with it got abused, saw more leaded fuel than non, and the sensor lasted me well over a year. the only reason that sensor died is we had it in jeffs car on the dyno, he removed all of the electronics but had the car running with the sensor still in the exhaust unpowered.

i purchased a FJO wideband and im still on the same sensor over a year later. this FJO has gone through more abuse than the NGK and has also had the sensor ran in the exhaust with out being powered numerous times and it still works fine.

every now and then i will verify that AFR is still correct, and it always is.

FJO or NGK.

Quick Reply: wideband questions