Notices

wideband o2 question....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband o2 question....

ok, i plan on getting a wideband and a chip burner in the next few days........i want to get the NGK wideband. It's cheap simple, and should be as accurate as any other sensor on the market.......(lol, no arguing on which is better, i am on a budget, and this will get me started).....

anyways, can i run with the wideband all the time?.......if so, what do i do to get the ECU a stock o2 reading?, or can i just ignore the computers complaint?....do i HAVE to weld in the bung or can i use the original bung for the factory sensor? and any other thoughts would be appreciated.....
Old 06-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband o2 question.... (themorphious)

Depending on the program you run, you can use it in place of the stock o2 sensor. Otherwise, weld in a new bung, and run it that way, thats what i do, so i can use it in my friends cars too.... damn i'm soo nice.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband o2 question.... (themorphious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themorphious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. can i run with the wideband all the time?

2. what do i do to get the ECU a stock o2 reading?

3. Do I HAVE to weld in the bung or can i use the original bung for the factory sensor?

4. Any other thoughts
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Yes, it will not hurt anything. Though in the manual that came with my TurboXS Tuner it said that if you don't plan on having it on while drive to go ahead and take it off. Something about the sensor can get fouled up when the heating element isn't active. But mine is hooked up to the ignition, so its on whenever the key is turned.

2. If you are referring to the stock ECU, you cannot use a wideband O2 in place of the stock narrow band O2. They operate differently and the ECU has no use for a wideband...it just wants to know when the car is at 14.7 A/F and thats it. I suppose you could with some siginificant amount of the signal processing, but it would not be worth it. If your reffering to aftermarket ECU like Hondata or AEM EMS, then they should be able to select a wideband option and it will adjust for that type of sensor.

3. Depends on your needs. If your still using the stock ECU which will need the narrowband O2 than you will need 2 seperate bungs. If you are just flat eliminating the use of the narrowband then you can install the wideband in its place. Do not use the bung after the catalytic convertor (if installed) as it will give you false A/F readings.

4. I mounted my sensor in the downpipe like 6" from the turbo outlet. Not sure if the exact position makes a difference, but it seems to work OK for me so far.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry about the vagueness of the question, just started typing..lol, it's a chipped ecu p28 94 civic d16z6.......im wanting to do street tuning myself.

Umm, can i just disable the o2 on the ecu inside either crome or uberdata? i'm just trying to get it where i can run the WB all the time and monitor it for diff conditions.......such as gas and such.

im gettin a chip burner and just want all the info before i purchase it all...
Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (themorphious)

I don't know the extent or limitations of Chrome or Uberdata, but you will need at least one or the other as far as narrowband and wideband. While the ECU is in closed loop (partial throttle) it doesn't really used a set fuel map per-se. It monitors the O2 sensor to see how close it is to 14.7 and adds and subtracts fuel accordingly. So it will need something. Like I said, unless Chrome or Uberdata can specifically account for a wideband sensor, then your stuck using the stock narrowband.

You can keep the wideband on all the time. Doesn't the NGK system come with some type of an interface that displays the numeric air/fuel ratio? That is plenty good for what your wanting to do at this point in time.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Westrock2000)

i dont know about the ngk setup, but a setup like the plx, has both wide and narrowband outputs.