Notices

wide band options

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wide band options

Getting wide band and Been searching through the net and pricing wide bands. Came up with a few choices and i'm still a little confused. From what I have read you have to configure the AFR table of your stand alone if you want to run it through your system. But if you system is setup for narrowband and you are running a simulated signal (0-1v) why should you to reconfigre it?
here are the choices I have currently:

Tech edge with display
• Assembled $412.56
• DIY kit $230.40

Zeitronix
• $240 with out display
• $350 with display

Daytona wide band
• $105 with out sensor
• $275 with sensor

Innovate wide band
• $349

now the Daytona system only takes NTK sensors. the other can take the Bosch sensors.

I'm looking to use it as a perment install. I was thinking about the tech edge one but $230 bucks and I have to assemble it myself is a little plus I can pay a little more and get another system assembled.

Was looking at the Zeitronix system with sounds like a good system with some protental with EGT and boost sensor.

Was looking Daytonia system and its a cheap system and looks good and does what I want it to do. But it only takes the NTK sensor and its 170 bucks a sensor.

was looking at Innovate and it looks good but doesn't look like a system I can install premently in car.

So I don't know which one to get. also I have no idea why you have to change your AFR table in your wideband if it similated narrowband signal.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wide band options (tyrone27)

Not sure what you mean by configure your a/f table in your stand alone so I will let someone else handle that.

Here is my thoughts on the techedge.
I had the techedge in my last car that was stolen. It was a great unit when it worked but it broke and I had to send it back to techedge to be fixed. Now they are not located in the US so I had to send it back to Australia. It took over 2 months from the time I sent it to get it back. Plus shipping and having to pay to have it fixed and then shipping back to me. When it was all said and done I could have bought an FJO wideband.

That is something you should consider where the manufacture is located or where you need to send it to be fixed if something happens. As far as how well it worked once I got it back well I installed it on Sunday when I got it back and my car was stolen on Monday so you would have to check with the thief’s that stole it to see how well it is working for them now.

I have an FJO now. I leave it installed all the time and have yet to have any problems with it. Every time I have a question I call their number and they are always super helpful and spend as much time is needed to answer all of my questions.

Yes the FJO is an expensive unit but I think it is worth it. I have not used any of the other units you have listed.

Hope that helps
Old 10-29-2004, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wide band options (underpressure02)

Dont leave out the PLX units. I just bought a m-300 unit for $314 shipped. I have talked to a few people here on the board that love them and say that they are accurate. If you look on the Hondata site they say good things about the PLX units. Also grassroots motorsports magazine did an article and tested the PLX unit with another wideband and they had good remarks also.

The PLX Site
http://www.plxdevices.com/products.htm

This is where I got mine from...he is a vendor in the marketplace section.
http://www.streetrays.com/cata...2170d

John
Old 10-29-2004, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wide band options (1fastVX)

Here is the article in Grassrootsmotorsports about the PLX and other widebands.

http://toda.myweb.hinet.net/gr...s.pdf

John
Old 10-29-2004, 09:57 AM

I got one of the very first (might even be the first) PLX M-200!! Had it since April 2003 and works like a champ!!

I have had it running along side a FJO unit and my AEM EMS and got exactly the same readings!!

PLX is well worth the money!!!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wide band options (pbsracerx)

i'm running tec 2 enginemanagement. on there site it has a setup for tec 3 but not tec 2.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:20 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I vote for the Innovate wide band
Self contained data logging of up to 5 inputs!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wide band options (si2die4)

The downside to the innovate unit it is bulky. I was looking for a unit that I can run all the time and would not take up a lot of space. The great this about my PLX unit is there is a narrow band output to run to my stock ECU. It gives me the opportunity to swap out to my stock ECU when needed.

John
Old 10-29-2004, 11:38 AM

i run the plx M300 and it has worked awsome, couldn't be happier...

at the time i was shopping for WB i was considereing the innovative... the only downside looks to be the bulkyness and poor display.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wide band options

They're all fine units I'm sure. It all depends on what you want though. I chose the Zeitronix because I want datalogging (to a computer), didn't need a display and wanted something that uses the cheaper Bosch O2. Simple as that - works great.

Don't need datalogging, but want a display? get the PLX
Want an extremely portable one, get the innovate

I may not have the facts straight on the individual units, but there's a gigantic thread somewhere else for that.

Just figure out what you want and go from there.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wide band options (dennis)

yea same here. I was looking at the zeitnix one too and if I got it I was going to get the one without the display and view it on my laptop. my thing is the zeitrnix one has a analog output and a simmulated narrow band out put. so if I hook my tec 2 up to the simulated out put I shouldn't have to change my setting in the tec 2 right? I e-mail them a while about it twice but I never got a answer back.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 PM

I don't know jack about tec-2. I do know that the analog out put is the 0-5v wideband output for standalones and the simulated output is the 0-1v narrow band output to make factory ECU's happy.

I replaced my stock O2 with the wideband. I feed the honda ECU the simulated output. It's happy other than the heater circuit not working (which is to be expected - I haven't put a resistor on it yet to clear the CEL). When I want to datalog, I plug the serial cable hanging out into my laptop.

If tec2 can take a 0-5v wideband input - great, feed it that, if not, it probalby wants the simulated narrow band. I guess that's what you're waiting to find out though
Old 10-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually yea. tec 3 has the 0-5V so on that system I would have to just select the wideband configuration. for tec 2 I uses the 0-1V so I'm guessing the simulation will work on it. If I get it i'll just have to compare the two displays and make changes.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just got a e-mail bacdk from zeitnotrox. here is what they said:

The narrowband output should not be used for tuning, this is what the wideband is for. The narrowband output allows the ECU to run the engine in a closed loop indicating above and below stoich mixture

So I think its back to the drawing board. I'm still looking for info to see if I can find the configure setting to run it with a analog output. I also e-mailed PLX about there system the M-250 and M-300. waiting to hear back from them.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-30-2004, 10:03 PM

I am running the AEM single channel Uego widband, and I have not had any problems, sinmple installation, very accurate
Old 11-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wide band options (JDMHatch4Me)

daytona just took there wideband off line
Old 11-02-2004, 06:52 AM
New User

Default Re: wide band options (slow poke)

At SEMA Innovate is releasing their new WB unit, the LC-1. It's intended for permanent installs and the WB controller will be miniturized so that it will integrated into the cable. It's pretty much the same as the LM-1, w/o the display and internal datalogging. I'm guessing it will sell for significantly less than the LM-1 as well.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing is I like to have a display to make sure I have my unit calibrated correctly with my AEM EMS. Also it is nice to be able to monitor AFR with a seperate display while driving. I love my PLX M-300 so far. Nice little package that is not overly expensive($314shipped).

John
Old 11-02-2004, 10:38 AM

From my understanding, the narrow band outputs aren't meant to provide the resolution that the wideband does. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're just there to pacify the OEM computer's need for 02 monitoring. This is at least how Zeitronix's narrowband output behaves.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:45 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dennis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From my understanding, the narrow band outputs aren't meant to provide the resolution that the wideband does. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're just there to pacify the OEM computer's need for 02 monitoring. This is at least how Zeitronix's narrowband output behaves.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes I have heard this about the Zeitronix's as well.
Of course its not going to be as high of a resolution ie 0-1volt compared to 0-5volts
It will still be VERY accurate! He just wanted a display to make sure it was in check w/his EMS! He could get an autometer gauge recalibrated to 0-5 volts and be cake w/ the innovate unit! Really the innovate has a programmable out put so you could make it 0-12 volts if you wanted

Innovate
Old 11-02-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Re: wide band options (si2die4)

http://www.innovatemotorsports...arrow - interesting read for those using the innovate with an autometer a/f gauge
Old 11-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my PLX M300! My only word of advice would be to avoid the NTK based units because the LSU4 sensors are so cheap in comparison.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blundar)

yea I was looking at the M-300 and the innervate units. I can get both for the same price so I was just looking at the features. which everone I get its going to be in the car permenty.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im lookin into getting a wideband for myself too, and i was thinking along the lines of an m-300, but i also need egt and boost gauges and did some comparing. ive changed my mind to the zeitronix unit (which i had originally given up on due to the $100 increase in price over the plx unit).

basic prices (i know some sites will be different but this is an approximation!)

zeitronix setup:
zt2 w/ display - $399
egt prove - $65
boost sensor - $139
TOTAL - $603 + shipping
note: shipping should be cheaper here because everything is coming from one place.

plx setup:
plx m-300 - $329
autometer pyro kit - $123.95
autometer elec boost/vac - $180.95
TOTAL - $633.90 + shipping

so if your tight on budget but need to know whats going on with your engine, then the zeitronix is slightly cheaper. also i want the zeitronxi cuz i hate having the interior cluttered with gauges. im still going to need an oil tem, oil pressure, and possibly water temp, but 3 is a lot better than 6 imo!