Notices

Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate.

+

Looks OK to me. Yeah they messed up on the first batch of manifolds. Thin tube 304S for the primaries, skinny weak welds, cheaper collector. The collector on this, however, looks in between a poor mans and a true merge collector. This is not a bad deal for $550 plus $20 shipping. I bet the pricing will only go down from here.

Is this a new and improved OBX???!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I still bash OBX on a lot of **** just cause you can tell it's made poor. For example, their N/A headers are junk. Terrible collectors and welds. But that doesn't mean that even a company that no one likes can't spend more money and time to make a very nice product for a change that maybe most of us would like.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (ITRpwrdEG)

::sits back and waits for the debate::
Old 09-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (ITRpwrdEG)

How about you buy it test it and let us know what the results are.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:50 AM

Tuning Depot got their hands on the first batch I BELIEVE. Here is the official link.

Manifold by itself
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

Manifold + 3" Downpipe w/ flexpipe, o2 bung, and 3" exhaust flange (beat that)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW
Old 09-09-2004, 05:52 AM

How about my car is a 1992 SI with a stock H22, my custom turbo kit, 285whp on 6.5psi, running 13.0 @ 112 with a terrible 60'ft time of 2.4sec. This is all on street tires, no LSD.

No need for cockiness man. I'm just trying to help out the next guy here.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill buy it once i get motor installed.. Doesnt look bad.. the 3" downpipe comba looks bad ***.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (Ckjeepin)

this manifold and downpipe have came a long way from there other stuff, i think it will be nice to see how it performs and holds up to the abuse, if i had 550 i would try one out
Old 09-09-2004, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (Ckjeepin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ckjeepin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill buy it once i get motor installed.. Doesnt look bad.. the 3" downpipe comba looks bad ***. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If its 3"... Then i doubt its AC friendly. Damn.. &gt;_&lt;
Old 09-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (synik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If its 3"... Then i doubt its AC friendly. Damn.. &gt;_&lt;</TD></TR></TABLE>

so does the wastegate placement
Old 09-09-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (igo4bmx)

some one send me one and I will be glad to test it for a while.. I drive about 60+ miles a day so that should be good to check for cracking.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (igo4bmx)

i was planning on getting it, my friend has a full race.. so ***** really gonna hit the fan.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (Overblown-Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some one send me one and I will be glad to test it for a while.. I drive about 60+ miles a day so that should be good to check for cracking. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.. nobody is offering a free 500+ manifold.. pay attention
Old 09-09-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (Yanta)

i was planning on ordering one here in about a week but if they are 304 i am not going to get it. cause the only reason i was even thinking about getting it was because it is 321. so if anyone knows for sure that is 304 i would like to know for sure.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (b20turbojason)

the manifold is 321.. I know its not free.. I was just stating I would be willing to be the testbed.. haha. I already have a good setup and I don't have a spare $500 laying around to change it.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id love to try it out for you guys. and i'd even buyt it myself. but i dont have a tial 40mm wastegate to play with...........so........im kinda out of the picture. im even ready to do my rebuild. blah, oh well.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:55 AM

People talk about OBX not having customer support and warranties and that may be true on some things or how they handled themselves in the past, but I am sure that this manifold is constructed out of what they say it is.

I am sure the downpipe is at least 304S, but it may even be 321 as well.

Let's all assume that the flanges are all polished steel, as most companies like using steel for its heat characteristics and less expand and contracting issues.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:00 AM

hey itrpwrdeg you said their first batch was 304. do you know if their second is 321. and have they gotten the second batch.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (b20turbojason)

I had called Tuning Depot a while back wondering what kind of turbo manifolds they had for an H22. They just had the shorty version that you can find on Ebay from OBX. I knew it was made of thin walled 304S so I said screw it. I knew it was just regular cheap N/A header piping like all of their other B series turbo stuff. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about 304S for a regular header, but when you are talking about a manifold that will reach 1400-1600 constantly and always cooling and heating up, OBX needed something better.

OBX could either loose their name completely with people cracking manifolds or they could spend a little more time and money making something worthwile, which I think it was they have done with this manifold. Tuning Depot had given me a heads up that they were making a 321 stainless manifold with thick welds that are welded inside and out this time. On top of this, the 321 stainless is much thicker. I wouldn't say its as thick as 8gauge manifolds, like lovefab or full-race, but there is no need for it since its a stronger steel to begin with.

I would not touch any OBX stuff besides this manifold and downpipe and their new LSD from what I have heard about it.

OBX has 2 good items so far in my mind. And that is why I want someone to inform us how the manifold holds up. I plan on using these in upcoming months.

PS - I WOULD STILL RECOMMEND PEOPLE BRACE THE TURBO TO THE BLOCK SOMEHOW. NEVER BRACE THE MANIFOLD AS IT NEEDS SOME ROOM TO EXPAND. YOU JUST NEED TO SUPPORT SOME OF THE WEIGHT WHICH PEOPLE SEEM TO FORGET ABOUT.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:23 AM

also i just called obx and they said that they are not bringing in the manifold.
maybe obx is bringing them in for tuning depo only.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would try it if I didnt already have my current setup.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:34 AM

I had heard something about how Tuning Depot is testing them or getting their hands on a few of them to sell to the market. So maybe whoever buys these first few get full refunds if anything happens within the first few months of hard abuse to them. I think OBX is keeping it hush hush otherwise. I mean, wouldn't you. Why claim this and that and then run into the same cracking problem as before. It's a smart move by OBX. But by no means am I saying this is really what is happing, JUST MY GUESS.

call Tuning Depot.
650-228-1461
Old 09-09-2004, 10:05 AM

I'm bored at work..................bump
Old 09-09-2004, 10:53 AM
New User

interesting. obx may actually be on the right track... despite all the haters and mistakes in the past.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (psileepR)

It would be awsome if they were ac compatable.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate. (BME1986)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BME1986 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It would be awsome if they were ac compatable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto

Quick Reply: Who will be the testbed? Someone test this to end the debate.