Notices

White smoke/ flutter/puttering sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke/ flutter/puttering sound

recently ive noticed white smoke comming out of the exaust especially when i first hit the gas, i was thinking that it was a gas build up and just comming out, but isnt gas suposed to be black smoke? also when im in low RPMs i can hear like a puttering sound when i push the throttle in... then it goes away once i get into high enough RMPs ?
it still pulls really hard and doesnt seem to have any trouble doing so, what could the putting noies mean and the white smoke?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke/ flutter/puttering sound

White Smoke = Coolant bad HG
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM

check your oil see if you can find traces of coolant, if you do, head gasket
Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no traces of coolant... i check the oil before i drive everytime, its pissing me off cause it doesnt smoke everyday or all the time, it just comes and goes... if i drive it regularly it doesnt do it. only when i leave it sitting for a day or 2.... HG is mad expesive to replace and what are the chances of the replacment causeing other trouble (i.e. is everything they take off intake manifold ect easily put back on correctly?)
Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had a car "putter" (misfire due to water shooting in the cylinder from a blown hg) in lower rpms and smooth out up top. HG replacement is a pretty easy job on a 4 cylinder honda
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so it is the HG... i called a place and they said 7,8,900 bucks to replace it depending on how much work it is to replace it. decent price? also what would be a dependable HG to get?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock would be best, they have cheap ones on ebay for like 50 bucks. What part of nc r u from? How much are they charging 789?
What kind of motor is it and what chassis?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

7 much less 9 is a CRAZY ripoff... they must be billing you at book time or not be familiar with the job....

The problem with honda HG's is that they can leak intermitently which is almost impossible to detect... I even used a Co2 sniffer and it never tested positive but kept getting overflow tank filled and pressure in the cooling system and intermittent overheating ... changed the HG and all gone.

Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM

Ouch man sorry to hear its the hg, i used a multilayer cometic gasket its expensive cause head bolts are torque to yield (basicly one time use, it stretchs and stays like that to provide a tight fit i guess) ive never had to do a hg but i think you may have to shave the head surface
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get an OEM gasket, best you can get hand down. if you have tools and a torque wrench then do it your self for the price of parts. its very simple and shouldnt take more than a couple hours. unbolt the turbo manifold and pull away from head, take off tbelt and wires and coolant lines (after you drain the coolant) then pull cams and unbolt the head. its very straight forward.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
7 much less 9 is a CRAZY ripoff... they must be billing you at book time or not be familiar with the job....

The problem with honda HG's is that they can leak intermitently which is almost impossible to detect....
This is interesting, as in the 12 years of doing this, I have never heard of nor experienced this problem in the literally thousands of B / D/ H series hondas I have dealt with.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea dude thats a crazy amount of money for a hg... thats def a do it yourself fix.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my car isnt overheating so it couldnt be the HG could it? i did some reading up on it and it said that over heating would be assiociated with a bad HG and mine is not?
it ran fine with no smoke yesterday?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sr420Det
What kind of motor is it and what chassis?
its a 2000 civic Si shell w/ a b16a2 presicion sc61 turbo 18 psi neptune ecu, skunk2 intake manifold, weisco rods & pistions 9:1 compression ratio... its built and thats what scares me cause i know so many things could be going worng in a turbo car to pin point just one problem when there actually could be several....but i try and maintain the tuned machine as much as i can (and know how) to do...thats why i ask so many ?'s
Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
This is interesting, as in the 12 years of doing this, I have never heard of nor experienced this problem in the literally thousands of B / D/ H series hondas I have dealt with.
Good for you... 3 of my friends own actual gas stations that do NORMAL repairs on NON-performance cars... (2 out of 3 in business for over 20 years (the other for over 10)) and ALL of them as well as any of the 5-6 Service station owners that I worked for when I was younger ALL have experienced the same thing... only one of them (who funnily enough had managed a Honda Dealership Service department on the westcoast) was SURE it couldn't be the HG if the Co2 test wasn't showing a leak... but agreed that the pressurized coolant hoses and backed up overflow where clear signs.

The HG may leak in either direction... you can force pressure from the combustion chamber into the coolant or coolant into the cumbustion chamber.

Underboost OF COURSE they're going to GO... In stock form (which mine was) the leak can be minor enough that the pressure inside the cylinder under low-medium load is not sufficient to pass the leak (obviously the pressure created by the cooling system will not be sufficient to pass the leak into the cylinder which would give you white smoke out the exhaust) HOWEVER once the car is at full throttle under load the cylinder pressure is increased and able to leak passed the HG into the cooling system.

Put simply... Grow up. Just because you have a bunch of experience doesn't mean you've seen it all.. and it doesn't give you the right to try to make people look stupid when in fact you are the one being dumb... damn near ANYTHING is possible when it comes to cars... Having such a closed view of things will prevent you from learning things.

Trust me I've been doing this (working on cars) for longer than you and wouldn't EVER make such a snipey childish assertion as you did above. Or assume that because I've seen thousands of engines/cars/whatever that I've seen it all... or that I know it all... EVERYONE has something to learn.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz

The problem with honda HG's is that they can leak intermitently which is almost impossible to detect... I even used a Co2 sniffer and it never tested positive but kept getting overflow tank filled and pressure in the cooling system and intermittent overheating ... changed the HG and all gone.

Good Luck.
You never had the oil and coolant mix though? I've noticed my overflow tank remains full so maybe I'm having the same issue. I smoke a little bit at startup, but not after (assumed it was condensation) in the exhaust.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not a drop of oil in the coolant or vice versa... the ONLY thing that was passing the HG was the combustion gases passing under high load only. No coolant passing into the cylinder and no oil leaking into the cooling jacket. No bubbles in the coolant at idle.

Since it only happened under load as SOON as you vent the pressure from the radiator the Co2 is gone and the sniff tester will no longer detect any.